DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ubuntu Linux laptop crashes near a certain welding supplier (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/267123-re-ubuntu-linux-laptop-crashes-near-certain-welding-supplier.html)

Vernon[_2_] December 19th 08 07:30 PM

Ubuntu Linux laptop crashes near a certain welding supplier

On Dec 19, 9:26*am, Ignoramus2817
wrote:
Very strange. I have a laptop running Ubuntu 8.10. While there are
some minor bugs, and inconveniences, it operates relatively reliably,
is fully able to suspend, screensaver etc and is a joy to use, nice on
battery etc.

When I am on the road I use "Wireless broadband".

Anyway, two times in a row it froze when I parked my truck in front of
a certain welding supplier called Wisco (on Western Avenue in
Chicago).

First I went there to fill an acetylene bottle, found the laptop
frozen with blinking keyboard LEDs, and dismissed freezing as a random
bug.

Then the bottle turned out to leak through the top of the valve, so
next day I took it there to replace it, and by the time I drove away,
the laptop froze again!

WTF???

My only guess is that someone over there runs some sort of a hostile
Wifi station that crashes Linux. I am quite puzzled.

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Iggy. Your problem is gremlins. While laptops are new fangled things
that have been irritating us for a mere half generation now, gremlins
have plagued mankind since at least the dark ages. V