DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metric sizes (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/267115-metric-sizes.html)

Novice December 19th 08 11:46 AM

Metric sizes

Hi, recently I was given a set of taps and dies of special kind. As there
M 1,5 x 0,35
M 2 x 0,45
M2,5 x 0,45
M 3 x 0,6
M 4 x 0,75
M5 x 0,9
Does anyone out there in the metric world know where those strange sizes
are (were) used for??

Novice

Wave Jumper December 19th 08 04:00 PM

Metric sizes

On 12/19/08 3:46 AM, in article
, "Novice"
wrote:

Hi, recently I was given a set of taps and dies of special kind. As there
M 1,5 x 0,35
M 2 x 0,45
M2,5 x 0,45
M 3 x 0,6
M 4 x 0,75
M5 x 0,9
Does anyone out there in the metric world know where those strange sizes
are (were) used for??

Novice

Some of these are listed as "french" in the Metric & Multistandard Catalog.
Did they come from a bicycle shop?

Wavejumper

Novice December 19th 08 07:36 PM

Metric sizes

I believe they came from an army dump.
Nothing to do with bicycles I think.
From an other source I heard them indeed mentioned as "cycle thread" but I
have never seen M 1,5 on an bike.

Novice

"Wave Jumper" schreef in bericht
On 12/19/08 3:46 AM, in article
, "Novice"

whit3rd December 19th 08 11:39 PM

Metric sizes

On Dec 19, 11:36*am, "Novice" wrote:
I believe they came from an army dump.
Nothing to do with bicycles I think.
From an other source I heard them indeed mentioned as "cycle thread" but I
have never seen M 1,5 on an bike.

M2 is right for the bicycle spokes I just measured.
Some spokes could be M 1.5, it would be somewhat
less than surprising.

Steve Lusardi December 20th 08 08:41 AM

Metric sizes

Perhaps firearm threads, they are typically very fine thread, even on
American weapons.
Steve

. ..

Grumpy December 22nd 08 11:58 AM

Metric sizes

"Novice" wrote in message
. ..
I believe they came from an army dump.
Nothing to do with bicycles I think.
From an other source I heard them indeed mentioned as "cycle thread" but I

wrote:

Hi, recently I was given a set of taps and dies of special kind. As
there
M 1,5 x 0,35
M 2 x 0,45
M2,5 x 0,45
M 3 x 0,6
M 4 x 0,75
M5 x 0,9
Does anyone out there in the metric world know where those strange
sizes
are (were) used for??

Novice

Some of these are listed as "french" in the Metric & Multistandard
Catalog.
Did they come from a bicycle shop?

Wavejumper

Have a look at this site. it may have them
http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/cei-thread.html