DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   metal spinning (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/266094-metal-spinning.html)

LLBrown December 3rd 08 04:42 AM

metal spinning

Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

Dave B[_2_] December 3rd 08 05:08 AM

metal spinning

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:42:32 -0600, "LLBrown"
wrote:

Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

We build and retrofit spinning machines,check our website @
www.debcomachinery.com.

If you need any information get in touch.

Dave B

Dave B[_2_] December 3rd 08 05:14 AM

metal spinning

wrote:

Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

Here is a video of a machine we rebuilt.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nt=Spinvid.flv

DaveB

David Billington December 3rd 08 12:30 PM

metal spinning

LLBrown wrote:
Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

How long is a piece of string?, The answer does depend on what you are
planning to try and spin and the material. I started spinning about 9
years ago and got a complete part after about 8 attempts. I learned with
each attempt and did so quickly. I now know the part I was spinning, a
goblet shape with a small base, is quite tricky to start due to the
small base. I was spinning pewter which is very easy to spin. At the
time I had found very little information in print and on the internet,
now there is more available, so I was very much just trying it and
learning.

Some places you might look are http://metalspinningworkshop.com where
you can buy DVDs about learning to spin, he has a forum at
http://metalspinningworkshop.com/forum/upload/index.php but it has been
down since around August and apparently is not going to be operational
again anytime soon which is a shame. I have the first 2 sets and they do
contain good information. Maybe these are available from a library.

http://www.paulwileyspinning.com/Book.html is also good.

Don Stauffer December 3rd 08 03:36 PM

metal spinning

LLBrown wrote:
Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

To me the hard part depends on the metal you are using, and how hard and
often you have to re-anneal it. I was using a piece of aluminum that
had to be constantly re-annealed.