Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Enco" brand chuck arbor vs. Jacobs

Enco has their own brand (Chiwandian, I'm sure) drill chuck arbor for
$4.22 & a Jacobs brand one for $17.75. I'm assuming that there is a
difference in quality, specifically runout, but is the Jacobs one 4x
better? For use in a drill press (not lathe tailstock), do you think
the "Enco" one would be acceptable?

The arbors:
http://tinyurl.com/6aog3g
http://tinyurl.com/6qed79

(Ummm ... the price on the catalog page is $4.22, but ordered it's $4.44.)

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The arbors:
http://tinyurl.com/6aog3g
http://tinyurl.com/6qed79

An **** - Enco won't allow direct access to those pages. You'll have to
go to Use-enco:
http://tinyurl.com/yv9osr
& search for parts 290-3236 & 890-9531.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-20, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The arbors:
http://tinyurl.com/6aog3g
http://tinyurl.com/6qed79

An **** - Enco won't allow direct access to those pages. You'll have to
go to Use-enco:
http://tinyurl.com/yv9osr
& search for parts 290-3236 & 890-9531.

All of that cheaper stuff always worked fine for me.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As all that kind of tooling is CNC machined no matter the origin, runout
and taper error should be negligable.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Enco has their own brand (Chiwandian, I'm sure) drill chuck arbor for
$4.22 & a Jacobs brand one for $17.75. I'm assuming that there is a
difference in quality, specifically runout, but is the Jacobs one 4x
better? For use in a drill press (not lathe tailstock), do you think
the "Enco" one would be acceptable?

The arbors:
http://tinyurl.com/6aog3g
http://tinyurl.com/6qed79

(Ummm ... the price on the catalog page is $4.22, but ordered it's $4.44.)

Bob

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Enco has their own brand (Chiwandian, I'm sure) drill chuck arbor for
$4.22 & a Jacobs brand one for $17.75. I'm assuming that there is a
difference in quality, specifically runout, but is the Jacobs one 4x
better? For use in a drill press (not lathe tailstock), do you think
the "Enco" one would be acceptable?

The arbors:
http://tinyurl.com/6aog3g
http://tinyurl.com/6qed79

(Ummm ... the price on the catalog page is $4.22, but ordered it's $4.44.)

Bob

So does these links work:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=290-3236
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-9531

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

As all that kind of tooling is CNC machined no matter the origin, runout
and taper error should be negligable.
JR

Unless the operator, a former field hand, crashed the lathe and didn't tell his
supervisor.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:
As all that kind of tooling is CNC machined no matter the origin, runout
and taper error should be negligable.

Thanks - I've ordered one of the Enco's. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Follow up - "Enco" brand chuck arbor vs. Jacobs

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Enco has their own brand (Chiwandian, I'm sure) drill chuck arbor for
$4.22 & a Jacobs brand one for $17.75. I'm assuming that there is a
difference in quality, specifically runout, but is the Jacobs one 4x
better? For use in a drill press (not lathe tailstock), do you think
the "Enco" one would be acceptable?

I got the "Enco" arbor today - it's a Phase II. Maybe they called
"Enco" 'cause the actual manufacturer can vary. If I'd known it was
going to be a Phase II, I wouldn't even have asked about its acceptability.

Bob