Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default recount votes tommrrow

You may have heard the senate race in MN is 200 votes from a tie...I'll be
part of the hand recount tomorrow.

After 2000, the Feds handed out a lot of money for voting equipment upgrade.
Nearly all (I think all but can't be certain) upgraded to a ballot on heavy
paper where you fill in the dot for your vote. At the ballot box, a machine
tallies your vote secretly and informs you if there are over votes (too many
candidate for one office) or under votes (offices that weren't voted.

This system was supposed to be idiot proof but, of course, they just built a
better idiot.

First, the ballot machine beeps on an over or under vote. Almost without
exception, the voter tells the ballot judge to accept anyway. This is where
the idiots get their chance.

On hand inspection, I'm sure ballots will be found where the voter has
erased or crossed out one candidate and voted for the other, ballots where
the candidate was circled or checked etc.( the machine didn't count these),
a pencil was used (again the machine didn't count these), other unique
issues.

All absentee ballot rejections will be reviewed, also. The biggest
opportunity for debate here is the rule of matching signature on the ballot
envelope and the ballot application. We rejected a couple ballots for this
at our precinct. What is considered a match is open to debate.

Anyway, long story short. The election is totally up in the air in MN. The
Senate stands at 58 dems right now, could easily go to 59. 60 is the magic
number where we're all in trouble. (Political opinion, there's nothing worse
than one party having all the power - you need a check and balance here)

I'm told there will be lawyers and other observers from both parties
watching our every move, should be fun.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This sounds like fun Karl, let us know. Take some pictures maybe also
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

If Al Franken wins, CSPAN will be more entertaining :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

MN law mandates a manual recount for elections with less than .5%
difference. Two of my co workers are election judges, (one is a head
judge in a precinct)they tell me that the optical scan system is pretty
good, the manual recount is is pretty clear, and that some of the voters
are pretty clueless. eg One little old lady spoiled 4 ballets before she
got one that didn't have her voting for both candidates in one office.

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok, we top post for a while...

Our ballots were completely electronic - touch screen type system.

The people running the show had hand held devices to enable the
ballot. I wondered if they kept data in the hand held or just enabled
the machines.

How on earth would they do a manual recount???

Richard

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You bring up a major point about the electronic systems.

The optical scan ballots are fed into the machine, the ballet is checked
for errors on the fly (rejected if necessary), and the votes are
tabulated by the machine. The ballot drops into the bottom of the machine.

Absentee ballets are processed either late in the day (if things are
quiet) or after the polls close. Each ballot is opened, verified on the
standard register, then processed through the regular scanner. If you
vote absentee, then change your mind, you vote normally, the absentee
ballot is not used.

At the end of the day, the electronic totals are electronically (cell
phone technology) to the county headquarters for the election night
coverage. The totals are printed out for the canvasing board to certify
a few days later. The actual ballots (around 1500 or so depending on
precinct) are boxed up under seal and stored in a secured warehouse.

The state mandates a quality check where some single digit percent of
the ballets stored in the warehouse are fed through a different scanner.
If the votes tally, all is good. If not, they start the process of
checking for the source of the error. It is quite normal for the vote to
vary by 1 or 2 votes, you should see how messy some of the ballets are.

The recount is done fully manually. A stack of ballets is in the middle,
candidate 1 ballets on the left, candidate 2 on the right. An observer
from both sides can stand behind a red line 3 feet away from the table
to challenge any ballet. Challenged ballets are placed in a third pile,
those go to a panel of senior judges (one is a state supreme court
judge) to decide.

I have to say, I think the system gives a clean paper trail for the
voter to inspect and reflect on before inserting into the scanner. It
provides an instant quality check on voter errors. It provides instant
election info at the end of the day. It handles absentee ballets
gracefully. It has quality audit procedures. It has good recount
procedures. And it is mandated in state law so most of the lawsuits
filed by both sides have pretty much been tossed out to let the actual
process proceed.

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:04:34 -0800, "ff" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
[...]

If Franken wins, Im moving to California, where the fruits nuts and
flakes are already in office.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:19:45 -0800, Gunner
wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:04:34 -0800, "ff" wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote...

You may have heard the senate race in MN is 200 votes from a
tie...I'll be part of the hand recount tomorrow.

After 2000, the Feds handed out a lot of money for voting equipment
upgrade. Nearly all (I think all but can't be certain) upgraded to a
ballot on heavy paper where you fill in the dot for your vote. At the
ballot box, a machine tallies your vote secretly and informs you if
there are over votes (too many candidate for one office) or under
votes (offices that weren't voted.

This system was supposed to be idiot proof but, of course, they just
built a better idiot.

Does the name InkaVote sound familiar? We had the exact same thing
in the "Hanging Chad" variant for decades, it's based on the old IBM
Punchcard form factor.

[...]

And they'll just keep counting till they get the answer they want.

If Al Franken wins, CSPAN will be more entertaining :-)

No it won't. The Mainstream Media will soft-pedal the stupidities
on the left as they have done for decades. The only time Obama got
any bad press was when that producer was pulling for Hillary, Period

They'll edit out all the gaffes that they don't want the public to
find out about, just like we never learned Franklin Roosevelt was
confined to a wheelchair by Polio before and during his presidency -
the press agreed to downplay and hide the facts as to how bad it
really was. They simply never took a wide shot, and waited till he
was walked to the lectern with locked leg braces for speeches....

And anyone that did get a picture of FDR in a wheelchair or being
assisted had the negatives destroyed by the Secret Service.

Did I mention NY Central Rwy Track 61? This is the "Secret Train
Station" under the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City, with the freight
elevator to take FDR, already seated in his car, from the train
station to the Hotel parking garage and a drive-out exit, or straight
up to his hotel suite?

Our current sterling example of the press actively burying bad news
to Dems is Rep, Maxine Waters telling the CEO's of major US oil
companies she wants to nationalize them and keep the profits. Betcha
Katie Couric didn't give that fifteen seconds on the Six O'Clock.

And I'll bet that the Liberal Nightly News isn't going to mention a
word about the fact that our proposed new Attorney General is the same
person who pushed through the Mark Rich pardon (and dozens of other
equally odious ones) on the last day of the Clinton administration.

If Franken wins, Im moving to California, where the fruits nuts and
flakes are already in office.

Gunner

Umm, I hate to break it to you Old Man, but you might want to take a
closer look at your drivers license and such.

About the only hope would be to split the state, and send all the
real wackos off to San Francisco - send Tony Villar off to live with
Gavin Newsom, the rocks in Antonio's head fit the holes in Gavin's.

We'll have to make isolation zones drawn around Hollywood, Culver
City and Universal City (all the major studio lots) to create a
"Liberal DMZ", since they can't move the good weather to Frisco.

(Yeah, I called it Frisco. Deal with it, you pansies.)

-- Bruce -- a Los Angeles Native, but I'm getting better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
Ok, we top post for a while...

Our ballots were completely electronic - touch screen type system.

The people running the show had hand held devices to enable the
ballot. I wondered if they kept data in the hand held or just enabled
the machines.

How on earth would they do a manual recount???

We had both touch screen and mark-sense ballots here in Mo. Our touch
screen units have a paper roll record that is printed both in
human-readable form and also a 2D bar code that presumably can be read
quickly by some machine. If you need to recount, you can scan the paper
rolls. The voter can see the paper roll recording the human-readable
part as he is voting to verify the right stuff is written down. I guess
they can spot check that the human-readable part corresponds to the bar
codes by sampling.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

You may have heard the senate race in MN is 200 votes from a tie...I'll be
part of the hand recount tomorrow.

Hard not to hear about that one. Fairly odd that the votes margin keeps going one way
only.

After 2000, the Feds handed out a lot of money for voting equipment upgrade.
Nearly all (I think all but can't be certain) upgraded to a ballot on heavy
paper where you fill in the dot for your vote. At the ballot box, a machine
tallies your vote secretly and informs you if there are over votes (too many
candidate for one office) or under votes (offices that weren't voted.

Ours is similar but you draw a line between two markers to connect them. Dot doesn't seem
very definite.

This system was supposed to be idiot proof but, of course, they just built a
better idiot.

Idiots are very creative.

First, the ballot machine beeps on an over or under vote. Almost without
exception, the voter tells the ballot judge to accept anyway. This is where
the idiots get their chance.

I've been tempted to test ours on a race that doesn't matter. Just to check.

On hand inspection, I'm sure ballots will be found where the voter has
erased or crossed out one candidate and voted for the other, ballots where
the candidate was circled or checked etc.( the machine didn't count these),
a pencil was used (again the machine didn't count these), other unique
issues.

Oh I would protest. If the ballot showed signs of crossing out, the voter should have
requested a new ballot. If you have one with crossed out choices then you either a) have
an idiot voter or b) have potential fraud. Cause to reject.

All absentee ballot rejections will be reviewed, also. The biggest
opportunity for debate here is the rule of matching signature on the ballot
envelope and the ballot application. We rejected a couple ballots for this
at our precinct. What is considered a match is open to debate.

That one is hard, I have at least two signatures I use depending on what it is and how
many forms I need to sign. Way open to debate. I think absentee ballots are the most
likely place for fraud to take place.

Anyway, long story short. The election is totally up in the air in MN. The
Senate stands at 58 dems right now, could easily go to 59. 60 is the magic
number where we're all in trouble. (Political opinion, there's nothing worse
than one party having all the power - you need a check and balance here)

For sure. I like divided government with my guys in the top two thirds.

I'm told there will be lawyers and other observers from both parties
watching our every move, should be fun.

Don't let them touch anything. Nothing, hands off. They want to see, you hold it, lay it
down, and you orient it for them. First one to touch, toss them out. There are rules.

Thank you for your service,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:34:10 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

You may have heard the senate race in MN is 200 votes from a tie...I'll be
part of the hand recount tomorrow.

I'm told there will be lawyers and other observers from both parties
watching our every move, should be fun.

Karl

Although I have my preference on who I'd like to see win, I just hope
it's honest this time, no matter who wins. The reports in the
newspaper last week suggested that there was partisan counting at the
time of the election..

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

After hearing all the Libtards claiming they would move to Canada,
France and so forth, I had to claim I was going to move
someplace....G

About the only hope would be to split the state, and send all the
real wackos off to San Francisco - send Tony Villar off to live with
Gavin Newsom, the rocks in Antonio's head fit the holes in Gavin's.

"Southern California" would start at the southside of Gorman..we can
put up a really good choke point there, with a Point of Entry there,
and the hills on both sides will sport heavy weapons bunkers with
chain gun emplacements thickly seeded on both sides of the road way.

The Free State of Central California would start there, and go up to
Redding, with a jog around Sacramento. Free Northern California
would start there and go up to the border. A strip along the coast
would be turned into a Reservation for Liberals, which would include
the Peoples Republik of Santa Barbara, and Im sure it would annex the
Democratic Peoples Republik of Santa Monica, Cambria etc.

Orange County will be the Free Vietnamese zone and would have a seat
in the Confederation of Free Californias

After the Chicoms detonate nukes on container ships in Long Beach
and San Pedro harbors...most of Los Angeles will be uninhabitable, so
we ship all Liberals found in the Free states to Los Angeles and let
the Politburos of Santa Barbara and Santa Monica take care of them,
and their other homeless populations. Im sure they would be tickled to
tax themselves to pay for all the freebies.

Immigrants to Central and Northern California would be vetted carefuly
as to skills, intelligence and political view, along with proof of
legal status. Im sure the Libs in So. Cal would be happy to take care
of the 3 million illegal aliens in the current California, so we ship
them to Santa Monica for processing and their free tennis shoes, wide
screen TV and Sec. 8 housing allocations.

Boeing, MD and most of the other major industrial giants would have
plenty of room to set up shop in the High Desert, as the tax rate
would be a fraction of the current one, and the various reactors that
would be built around Boron and Onyx would take care of their power
needs along with those of the Free Central Valley. As for water, we
simply turn off the tap to So. California and let Lake Kern refill.
Lots of oil and gas in FCC, so thats not an issue. Im sure Long Beach
would supply enough petroleum products for So. Cal. After all, how
much grease do donkey carts and bicycles really need? Green
Transportation at its finest.

Im not quite sure though, what we would do with San Diego. While
there are a ****load of military, retired military and so forth,
Mexico would make great efforts to turn it into another State, and
while the weather is good, Im not sure its worth going to war with
Mexico over....Humm...they might decide that LA etc is also part of
Mexico. Which would solve the Liberal Problem, as the Mexicans would
simply put all the Libs against the nearest wall and shoot them.

The corrupt Mexican government hates Liberals because they are
competition.

We'll have to make isolation zones drawn around Hollywood, Culver
City and Universal City (all the major studio lots) to create a
"Liberal DMZ", since they can't move the good weather to Frisco.

(Yeah, I called it Frisco. Deal with it, you pansies.)

-- Bruce -- a Los Angeles Native, but I'm getting better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free Jefferson! was recount votes tommrrow

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:43:21
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

That would be "Jefferson". That whole section is weird. Even the
local Public Radio Station is "Jefferson Public Radio."

Time for Attila the Beaver to mount up and free Southern Oregon
from the Imperial Colonialist exploiters in Sacramento! Then turn
north and send the libs back to Portland.

Charge!

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich