Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC The Learning Curve

I have been playing with my new little Taig CNC setup. Getting it layed out
just right was a it of a pain, but I think I have everything except a
perfect tru vertical on the head. Its close enough for most of my work
though.

Getting my mind around teh simple concept of basing the directions as if the
head was mvoving relative to the table kinda screwed me, but when I did I
went OH! Duh! LOL.

I have been using LazyCam, Mach 3, Inkscape, and Corel Draw as my tools so
far.

Well, so far it looks like the easiest free software to use is Inkscape to
convert rastor to vector graphics. The problem is lazy cam can't handle
much detail. It will handle PLAIN SVG files output from Inkscape. Just not
with much detail.

On the positive side its pretty easy to just make a project out of a bunch
of little files, use lazy cam to convert them to code, then cut and paste
them together, and edit some of the dimensions. Lazy Cam does some weird
things to the Z dimension for some reason. I've broken a couple engraving
points because of it until I relaized what was happenening. That or had to
re cut a project because it set a bunch of the runs at Z0.0000 for no good
reason.

I may sit down and write my own little text editor with its own process to
check for out of whack dieemenions. Maybe editing my G-code in a spread
would make it easy to search for or conditions before running.

Now I guess I need to sit down and read the Inkscape manual to make modeling
in 3D a little easier. Its got some cool tools to do it though. Inkscape
is not quite intuitive in doing 3D modeling, but its not bad.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest you focus on using the dry run functionality in Mach3 to
validate your G code before breaking engraving tools or interrupting
runs to fix Z0 issues.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Um... ok.... how is that going to show me the difference between a Z0 vs a
Z-0.0005? I would be more interested in finding out why LazyCam doing it to
begin with. What I found that fixed the problem for now was to go over the
code and do a find replace using my text editor before running it. Its kind
of odd though when you select all chains and set them to the same depth that
some wind up being set to a different depth. I may scrap LazyCam if I can't
figure out why that is happening. I've got a couple other CAMs that have
post processors for Mach 3 to try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Sorry, learning to many software tools at once GSimple is the 3 D software I
am playig with it the moment. Inkscape is what I am using to convert rastor
to vector.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

I'd suggest you focus on using the dry run functionality in Mach3 to
validate your G code before breaking engraving tools or interrupting
runs to fix Z0 issues.

Um... ok.... how is that going to show me the difference between a Z0 vs
a Z-0.0005? I would be more interested in finding out why LazyCam doing
it to begin with. What I found that fixed the problem for now was to go
over the code and do a find replace using my text editor before running
it. Its kind of odd though when you select all chains and set them to the
same depth that some wind up being set to a different depth. I may scrap
LazyCam if I can't figure out why that is happening. I've got a couple
other CAMs that have post processors for Mach 3 to try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Look from the side at a close enough view.

I would be more interested in finding out why LazyCam doing it to
begin with. What I found that fixed the problem for now was to go over the
code and do a find replace using my text editor before running it. Its kind
of odd though when you select all chains and set them to the same depth that
some wind up being set to a different depth. I may scrap LazyCam if I can't
figure out why that is happening. I've got a couple other CAMs that have
post processors for Mach 3 to try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's basically what I figured. I think I'll just figure out an easy
way to check my code for limits before implementing it. I am currently
engraving at about 3 inches per minute while I am refining my process, and
it takes quite a while to do a project big enough to test how everything
works. I want to get things going to the point where I can sart a job and
then go work on something else.

I can run faster though after I get some other things figured out, and do
not have to cut as deep when engraving. Right now I am in the process of
designing and building some clamping fixtures for engraving sheet to try and
take out some of the variance by flattening it in the clamping fixture. So
far the best thing I have come up with is a square made out of angle with
t-bolt screw down tabs on the outside of the square and a floating clamp
plate on the floating side of the square. I figure I'll make two or three
so I can at least clamp flat the section I am working on. Maybe a 5 x 5, 5
x 8 and 5 x 12. This would allow me to make engraved plates up to 10 by 12
with my 5.5 by 12.5 working area. I think I'll have to go with something a
little different though for the mold making I plan to do after my engraving
project is completed. I don't think that will be as big a deal though since
I'll be starting with much thicker stock. Just surface it, re-zero, punch
my index holes, and then run my code.

I've got the pieces of the 5 x 5 partially clamped up and ready to be
welded, but I think I'll wait until tommorrow amd all the details have
worked out in my head before finalling that one. I am using some scrap from
another welding project to make these clamps and I do not want to waste any
material.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:51:29 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

I have been playing with my new little Taig CNC setup. Getting it

snip
[...]

Big CNC routers use vacuum to hold sheet material flat. Could you rig
something like that? Maybe google on vacuum chuck.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You might also look at Alibre Express for free 3D part modeling. There may
also be a free Alibre CAM Express available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:51:29 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
onster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I looked at that. If I was using a gantry style machine I think I would
even set it up with multiple tables for different things, but I am using a
mini mill, and I'm not sure how I would implement it since I'll often be
using sheet larger than my table. (for most of my use a gantry machine
probably would have been a better choice for me. Live and learn.) It is a
good idea, and I'll keep it churning in the back of my mind until something
pops up.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

[...]

I will look at it. My latest one to play with is Gsimple.

Request for help finding a cam curve that will have lower maximum contact stress than a Parabolic curve (and link to CAD and JPEG files) John2005 Metalworking 19 March 31st 06 04:30 AM
Mitre curve. Pat Woodworking 11 December 22nd 05 01:07 AM
New learning curve -- pouring babbits Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 18 August 24th 05 11:59 PM
center-saver... the learning "curve" (0/1) mac davis Woodturning 8 June 20th 05 04:49 PM