DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Small hydraulic pump needed (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/264626-small-hydraulic-pump-needed.html)

RoyJ November 12th 08 03:39 PM

Small hydraulic pump needed

My latest research project needs a small hydraulic pump, quite a bit
smaller than a standard pump. Plan to drive it with a VFD/3phase motor.
I'd like to get it running by next week so cheap and fast are the
buzzwords.

General specs:
-3000+ psi
-1/6 gallon per minute
-decent duty cycle (run for several hours at a time)
-1750 rpm would be nice (direct drive off a 3 phase motor)
-cast iron case highly desirable (aluminum doesn't hold up well to the
environment
-adjust the output by VFD speed control (trying to avoid a needle valve
and bypass)

I could derate one of these units
http://www.surpluscenter.com/pages/032.pdf
but I'd like to start with something smaller and with a cast iron case

Is there something from the vehicle area that might work better? Diesel
injector pump? Power steering pump? Off the shelf commercial unit that
I'm not finding???

Mechanical Magic November 12th 08 04:27 PM

Small hydraulic pump needed

Try he
http://baileynet.com/index.php?id=31...tegory=1000008
"GC Series" looks very close @ .5 gpm 1800 rpm,cast.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9718_200329718

Dave J.

Jim Wilkins November 12th 08 05:31 PM

Small hydraulic pump needed

On Nov 12, 11:27*am, Mechanical Magic
wrote:
Try hehttp://baileynet.com/index.php?id=31...tegory=1000008
"GC Series" looks very close @ .5 gpm 1800 rpm,cast.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20...

Dave J.

On Nov 12, 7:39*am, RoyJ wrote:
My latest research project needs a small hydraulic pump, quite a bit
smaller than a standard pump. Plan to drive it with a VFD/3phase motor.
I'd like to get it running by next week so cheap and fast are the
buzzwords....

Those would be my choices too. Note that not all pumps have bearings
capable of pulley side loads, you need a pressure relief somewhere,
and SAE Spline shafts are hard to connect to, I had to mill a broach.
Keyed shafts and Lovejoy L095 couplers work well.

JR North November 12th 08 07:43 PM

Small hydraulic pump needed

Automotive PS pumps pump Way more than 1/6gpm, much less than 3000psi,
and bypass all unless the steering is deflected. Diesel pumps, at least
VW, pump 20+bar in pulses-no good for you prolly. The back end (second
stage)of a Barnes log splitter pump will work, but you will need to
deadhead the front end LP circuit to get it to shift. Output gpm will
still be high without a bleed circuit.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

RoyJ wrote:
[...]