Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using a "bigfoot" (large dia wheel) dolly/handtruck

I own a generic handtruck/dolly with 10 inch dia pneumatic wheels.
The primary use of the dolly is to move appliances (not enough use to
justify getting a real $$ appliance dolly). My dolly is 22 inch wide
(from outside edge of tire to tire) and I am concerned about stability
when moving things such as fridges tipping over. I have decided to
split the hand truck and widen it about 6 inches and at the same time
increase the depth of the base plate. Before I do this work, I
thought maybe I should buy a “Bigfoot” dolly with 13 in. dia wheels.
Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often. Second
issue is they get lost constantly. We need four just to keep one put away.
otherwise they are great for moving stuff.

To go up stairs, you need two operators. The bottom guy is the strong one,
he lifts. The top guy pulls back balances and holds the gain. Then repeat.
Don't get your tire so big that it won't just sit on a step.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a similar one, nothing wrong with them, tires need to be pumped
often. When I looked, I found the harbor Freight one to be wimpy and
instead bought a stronger one (USA made) from McMaster-Carr. The price
difference was not much.

On 2008-11-06, Karl Townsend wrote:

Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often. Second
issue is they get lost constantly. We need four just to keep one put away.
otherwise they are great for moving stuff.

To go up stairs, you need two operators. The bottom guy is the strong one,
he lifts. The top guy pulls back balances and holds the gain. Then repeat.
Don't get your tire so big that it won't just sit on a step.

Karl

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 9:04*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
We have four of these. My biggest issue is the tires go flat often.

I've got one, and while it's a pain when the tires are flat, it's
trivial to pump them back up. It is embarrasing to show up with one
flat tire!

And the inflated tires make a world of difference in moving over mud.
I first truly appreciated this during a rainy spring in British
Columbia :-).

I got mine like ten years ago and it is still going strong.

Second issue is they get lost constantly.

Isn't that like the Yogi Berra-ism "nobody goes there anymore, it's
too crowded"? If it's getting lost constantly, that means it's the one
that everybody uses!

Tim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 05:38:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous
scrawled the following:

I own a generic handtruck/dolly with 10 inch dia pneumatic wheels.
The primary use of the dolly is to move appliances (not enough use to
justify getting a real $$ appliance dolly). My dolly is 22 inch wide
(from outside edge of tire to tire) and I am concerned about stability
when moving things such as fridges tipping over. I have decided to
split the hand truck and widen it about 6 inches and at the same time
increase the depth of the base plate. Before I do this work, I
thought maybe I should buy a “Bigfoot” dolly with 13 in. dia wheels.
Does anyone have experience with this type of a dolly – Harbor Freight
frequently has these on sale for about $40. Will this dolly with the
larger dia wheels go up steps easier. I would still end up splitting
and widening the bigfoot dolly since it also is only 22 inches wide.

I own the 10-incher, too, and adore it. The one time I used the
larger one, it was even easier to work. You won't even know when you
ride up over a curb or small steps. g

The 13" wheels are on sale for $10 each now, and 13.5-inchers are $13.
search www.harborfreight.com for ' 13" tire '.

Go for it.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

i did bend the bottom of it moving a 300 lb boulder, so don't take their
load maximum very seriously.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I own a generic handtruck/dolly ...

You are talking about a "hand truck". A "dolly" is a platform with casters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"charlie" wrote:

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:41:40 -0500, Wes
wrote:

"charlie" wrote:

i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently.
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

I have one of those cheap wagons with similar wheels.
Suppose to be good for 1000 lbs or something, snort! Anyway,
tightening up the valve cores did wonders to slow down the
leakage. Only have to air them up a couple times per year
now.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

I have one of those cheap wagons with similar wheels.
Suppose to be good for 1000 lbs or something, snort! Anyway,
tightening up the valve cores did wonders to slow down the
leakage. Only have to air them up a couple times per year
now.

I put some slime in my 20 year old walk behind snowblower tires. Tubeless and age
cracked. I'm hoping it helps. So far, leaks down fast but I haven't actually made a pass
down the 200 foot driveway. That should coat them well if nothing more.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:03:03 -0500, Wes wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

I have one of those cheap wagons with similar wheels.
Suppose to be good for 1000 lbs or something, snort! Anyway,
tightening up the valve cores did wonders to slow down the
leakage. Only have to air them up a couple times per year
now.

I put some slime in my 20 year old walk behind snowblower tires. Tubeless and age
cracked. I'm hoping it helps. So far, leaks down fast but I haven't actually made a pass
down the 200 foot driveway. That should coat them well if nothing more.

Wes

Why in h**l do they use tubeless tires on snow blowers, wheelbarrows
etc.? After a few years, rust penetrates the bead area and the only
remedy is an inner tube which then lasts until the outer casing rots
off. Both my snow blower (1985) and wheelbarrow (older) still have the
original tires with inner tubes installed. It is not like these are
high speed, heat sensitive uses, at least not in my case!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:00:10 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

Leon Fisk wrote:

[...]

Does everyone here FEEEL for Gerry? How about a group "Awwwwww!"?
gd&r

Let's see, a new tube costs $4USD. A new wheel, bearings, tire, and
tube assembly costs $5 or $10USD. What to do? What to do?

Our HF is your Princess, right? Seek and ye might find, sir Ger.

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

[...]

I do have a spare tire for my wheelbarrow from Princess Auto - cost $2
about 4 years ago, haven't needed to install it yet. OTOH, Tires for
the snow blower will cost me $35 each. As to changing to a less
expensive size - you wanna come take the old wheels off the axle?
Bring your cutting torch cause they are permanently rusted in place!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got tired of forgetting to air up the tires before using the hand
truck so I bought replacement 10" tires/wheels from HF when they had
them on sale for $3.99 - they hold air **much** longer that the tires
that came with the hand truck (Home Depot I think).

On Nov 9, 5:41*pm, Wes wrote:
"charlie" wrote:
i have the one with 10" wheels, and yes, they tend to go flat frequently..
however, they ride over the desert sand pretty well and goes over small
rocks without noticing them. don't know how they are for standard stairs,
but they do go up short curbs well.

Anyone try putting Slime in the tires?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:25:13 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

Leon Fisk wrote:

[...]

"Good shew." he said, in his best Ed Sullivan voice.

OTOH, Tires for
the snow blower will cost me $35 each. As to changing to a less
expensive size - you wanna come take the old wheels off the axle?
Bring your cutting torch cause they are permanently rusted in place!

Sounds like a self-inflicted wound due to lack of maintenance to me,
sir. Shameful!

P.S: What's a "snow blower"?

--
Never lose sight of this important truth, that no one can be truly
great until he has gained a knowledge of himself, a knowledge which
can only be acquired by occasional retirement.
-- Johann Georg von Zimmermann

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Let's see, a new tube costs $4USD. A new wheel, bearings, tire, and
tube assembly costs $5 or $10USD. What to do? What to do?

The wheelbarrow is easy, my wide profile snowblower tires look like they spot welded the
halves together after inserting on either side of the tire. I can't buy the tire from
searz, have to buy tires and rim. Humm.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:50:23 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Let's see, a new tube costs $4USD. A new wheel, bearings, tire, and
tube assembly costs $5 or $10USD. What to do? What to do?

The wheelbarrow is easy, my wide profile snowblower tires look like they spot welded the
halves together after inserting on either side of the tire. I can't buy the tire from
searz, have to buy tires and rim. Humm.

You said the "I just let the magic smoke out!" word, Wes; Searz.

Go buy something worth _fixing_, eh? Sheesh! Better yet, build one
yourself/rebuild the axle.

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Let's see, a new tube costs $4USD. A new wheel, bearings, tire, and
tube assembly costs $5 or $10USD. What to do? What to do?

The wheelbarrow is easy, my wide profile snowblower tires look like they spot welded the
halves together after inserting on either side of the tire. I can't buy the tire from
searz, have to buy tires and rim. Humm.

I just bought a tire & rim for my wheelbarrow at Harbor Freight for
$20.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Wes, Alan Lashway wrote:
yeah it didn't work

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ck-150340-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/2017 11:18 PM, Alan Lashway wrote:
replying to Wes, Alan Lashway wrote:
yeah it didn't work

I notice the thread is from 2008, so regarding the flats
on the Harbor Freight tires, there seems to be no need to tell you about
my success using Slime Tire sealant to keep air in them.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 05:18:02 GMT, Alan Lashway
wrote:

replying to Wes, Alan Lashway wrote:
yeah it didn't work

That thread was from 2008. Um, did it take you 9 years to widen a
hand truck frame? g I guess I shouldn't talk. I have some 6-y/o
projects on the shelf...

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle