DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cost of junk metal (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/261887-cost-junk-metal.html)

Jim[_23_] October 4th 08 04:42 AM

cost of junk metal

I'm giving serious consideration to taking up gas welding/brazing to
try my hand at metal sculpturing. Today I called a local welding
supply and the last question I asked was where would someone like me
get metal to practice welding. I then popped by the suggested place
and found out they offer both old and new metal. I asked about how
old metal is priced. The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/
lb. I live about 50 south of Indianapolis. How does this sound for
the price of old metal? Was I being sized up for extra bucks or does
that sound reasonable.

Thank much.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Grant Erwin October 4th 08 05:39 AM

cost of junk metal

Jim wrote:

I'm giving serious consideration to taking up gas welding/brazing to
try my hand at metal sculpturing. Today I called a local welding
supply and the last question I asked was where would someone like me
get metal to practice welding. I then popped by the suggested place
and found out they offer both old and new metal. I asked about how
old metal is priced. The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/
lb. I live about 50 south of Indianapolis. How does this sound for
the price of old metal? Was I being sized up for extra bucks or does
that sound reasonable.

Thank much.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

For years and years around here scrap & yard steel was 25 cents a pound.
Now it's a bit more. I don't think 30 cents is unreasonable at all.

Grant

Jon Anderson October 4th 08 05:54 AM

cost of junk metal

Jim wrote:

The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/lb.

That's $600/ton. This site,
http://demolitionscrapmetalnews.com/?page_id=17
lists #2 scrap steel at $280/ton for less than truck load,
for an approx 100% markup.

I'd suggest posting an ad on your local Craigslist and see
if you can't scrounge up some free scrap metal. Never know
too, might find that someone's 'scrap metal' is a treasure
to you!

Jon

SteveB October 4th 08 08:08 AM

cost of junk metal

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Jim wrote:

The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/lb.

That's $600/ton. This site,
http://demolitionscrapmetalnews.com/?page_id=17
lists #2 scrap steel at $280/ton for less than truck load, for an approx
100% markup.

I'd suggest posting an ad on your local Craigslist and see if you can't
scrounge up some free scrap metal. Never know too, might find that
someone's 'scrap metal' is a treasure to you!

Jon

I took an old radiator to a recycler here. I looked around, and he had some
stainless tubing, from quarter inch to half inch diameter. About a dozen
lengths of six to ten feet. He said $.90 per pound. There was ten pounds
of it. Then he said he'd trade straight across for the radiator. I think I
will do okay with this guy. Told him to set aside square tubing for me, and
call me on I beams and heavier square. He said he'd sell it for a dime a
pound, which sounded low to me. We'll see.

Steve

Gunner Asch[_4_] October 4th 08 10:15 AM

cost of junk metal

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Jim
wrote:

I'm giving serious consideration to taking up gas welding/brazing to
try my hand at metal sculpturing. Today I called a local welding
supply and the last question I asked was where would someone like me
get metal to practice welding. I then popped by the suggested place
and found out they offer both old and new metal. I asked about how
old metal is priced. The guy told me by the pound with a cost of $.30/
lb. I live about 50 south of Indianapolis. How does this sound for
the price of old metal? Was I being sized up for extra bucks or does
that sound reasonable.

Thank much.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

sounds damned good. Im paying .60 for steel shapes here in California

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

RoyJ October 4th 08 05:16 PM

cost of junk metal

When you talk about 'junk' metal, you could be looking at several
different things: My local yard sells prime hot rolled products for one
price, seconds for a different price, and scrap for a different price.
Prime is the good stuff, expect minimal rust, no dings, full lengths.

Seconds are decent stock but might have excess rust (over prime), short,
a bend or dings, etc. Great stock for hobbyist projects, practice
pieces, etc. My yard prices this at about 1/2 of prime, my last trip was
$.45 a pound.

Scrap is just that:scrap form others. priced at what ever the yard can
get. Clean scrap is a around a couple hundred dollars per ton or about
$.10 per pound. If your yard is selling you odds and ends in small
quantities, and letting you pick at it, $.20 a pound is a a great price.

Jon Anderson October 4th 08 06:50 PM

cost of junk metal

SteveB wrote:

He said he'd sell it for a dime a
pound, which sounded low to me. We'll see.

Sounds like you have found a good resource!

Jon

SteveB October 5th 08 05:38 AM

cost of junk metal

SteveB wrote:

He said he'd sell it for a dime a pound, which sounded low to me. We'll
see.

Sounds like you have found a good resource!

Jon

Now, I just hope he gets some tubing and I beams. We do advertising for
him, and I did a couple of favors that didn't cost me or the company
anything, but did get him a better ad. I think he'll be a good source just
on that.

Steve