Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Gun Problem

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:27:50 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

I hope I'm not gonna have to fix this problem.

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess. It
is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I shot it
with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5' low @ maybe
200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end sights and
wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red dot above the
"rail".

The book and box are deep in storage. Am I gonna have to send this
thing back to the factory? The S&W site I tryed e-mailing before I
bought it was no help. How, do I go about fixing this problem. I'm
thinking it is just us, but I know how to shoot a gun and it is 1.5
feet low.

I've asked around here and all I get is "what ammo? and doesn't sound
good". BTW 120 g. Oh, seems to have excessive side shrapnel, I had to
stand back further than I thought when the other shot it.

I don't know what to do. Write snail mail to S&W, or call those bone
heads where I bought it. The latter might be fun.

Since I'm on guns. I can't get a .22 rifle up here and I'd like to
taste a goose for the first time before they all leave south like I
should be doing. LOL. What is the deal? I have two registered guns and
can't buy a pop gun. Suppose I'll have to wait and give a DNA sample
to get a shot gun to shoot partridge.

If you're getting excessive shrapnel from the cylinder/barrel
junction, I would think that there is a problem with the alignment.
You might be able to check it with a brass rod the same size as the
..357 round. Gently run the rod from the barrel end down through the
cylinder and see if there is any interference or if the cylinder moves
when you go into it. You might also take it to a gunsmith for further
testing. If there IS an alignment problem that could account for some
of the drop.

1.5 feet at 200'. That's not bad. When I was on the Richmond, VA
police department we had to shoot at 60 yards (180') as part of our
qualifying. My 6" Colt had to be aimed at roughly the chin of the
target to get center mass. The 4" S&Ws had to be aimed at about the
forehead to achieve the same result. You figure it out. You didn't
say what your barrel length is but I wouldn't think that a foot and a
half drop at 200 feet would be something to be really concerned about.
At that range handguns become more an artillery piece than a defensive
weapon. You have to arc the shot onto the target. :-)

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Revolvers tend to shoot low, if you use a normal "target" alignment of the
sights. In a combat situation, any normal person will have the front sight
'way high in the notch of the rear sight. It's just a natural reaction to a
threatening and stressful situation. On a gun used for defense, that's how
they're often set up.

My .38 Spl. Colt snubbie and .32 Colt Pocket Positive both shoot very low
like that. My .38 Spl. Officer's Model Target shoots as you would expect a
target gun to shoot: right on. The same is true with my Ruger SSM, which is
not a defense gun, either.

Tell Sunworshipper to keep his .22 out of sight if he's hunting geese. It
used to be against federal law to shoot migratory waterfowl with a rifle; I
assume it still is.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I gather he's in Canada , and their laws might be different ...
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wisconsin, looks like I'll have all year to check into the laws.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dad got caught many years ago with a .22 autoloader on his hip while
standing next to his truck after hunting elk (Utah , around 1980something) .
Handguns of any description are forbidden while hunting elk , whether they
are used or not (at that time , and AFAIK now too) . The fine was steep ,
but he got to keep his gun .
If you get caught hunting geese in the USA with a rifle , you may very
well go to jail . And never ever see that rifle again - it's a federal law ,
and they enforce it .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess.
It is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I
shot it with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5'
low @ maybe 200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end
sights and wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red
dot above the "rail".

Shot 288/300 to qualify with mine. 2" barrel. .357 loads. I like that
gun, and carry it on a Safariland paddle holster. Very concealable. As for
hitting the target, I have several pistols that are exactly the same way.
There definitely has to be something wrong with them, as I can't shoot them
and get good scores. ;-) And I know I'm an expert shot who can pass a .38
through the mouth of a gnat and out the anus 39 out of 40 times with the
gnat flying.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:31:53 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas

[...]

Ho golly, that's pretty good!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Really! Well won't be doing that then. Guess I have to drag around a
boat and decoies and ahhh lots of gas to find them and shoot them full
of spittting pelletsfrom a shot gun instead of head shots to be legal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Really thanks for telling me. I was about to shoot them with a SKS
cause they won't let me have a .22 . A shot gun could be possible,
but ya would have to wait for those really low formations. There was
one solo goose flying back and forth at maybe 300' and 4 passes. It
was so lost , flying east and west, I held out my hand like inviting
a cat or dog.

Sounds funny to me ya can't shoot a one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote in message

snip

Really thanks for telling me. I was about to shoot them with a SKS
cause they won't let me have a .22 . A shot gun could be possible,
but ya would have to wait for those really low formations. There was
one solo goose flying back and forth at maybe 300' and 4 passes. It
was so lost , flying east and west, I held out my hand like inviting
a cat or dog.

Sounds funny to me ya can't shoot a one.

I have a 3-1/2" magnum 12 ga. that I got just for shooting geese. It's about
as rough on my shoulder as it is on the geese, but I can really reach out
there with that gun.

However, here in NJ we have an estimated 98,000 of the non-migratory,
semi-domesticated giants (Branta canadensis maxima) now, and the suckers fly
around with the migratory birds -- until the migratory ones head south.
While that's going on, you can decoy the maximas with a piece of foam rubber
taped to your hat, cut to look like a slice of Wonder Bread, and shoot them
with a .410 and cylinder choke. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

However, here in NJ we have an estimated 98,000 of the non-migratory,
semi-domesticated giants (Branta canadensis maxima) now, and the suckers fly
around with the migratory birds -- until the migratory ones head south.
While that's going on, you can decoy the maximas with a piece of foam rubber
taped to your hat, cut to look like a slice of Wonder Bread, and shoot them
with a .410 and cylinder choke. d8-)

They didn't like your 'Cheesehead' hat?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:32:19 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

However, here in NJ we have an estimated 98,000 of the non-migratory,
semi-domesticated giants (Branta canadensis maxima) now, and the suckers fly
around with the migratory birds -- until the migratory ones head south.
While that's going on, you can decoy the maximas with a piece of foam rubber
taped to your hat, cut to look like a slice of Wonder Bread, and shoot them
with a .410 and cylinder choke. d8-)

Those geese are a nuisance in these parts. They're so bold they think
they can bluff a pickup truck on the way to Wal-Mart.

They do step smartly when their bluff is called.

No gun needed to harvest these varmints, a machete would suffice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

However, here in NJ we have an estimated 98,000 of the non-migratory,
semi-domesticated giants (Branta canadensis maxima) now, and the suckers
fly
around with the migratory birds -- until the migratory ones head south.
While that's going on, you can decoy the maximas with a piece of foam
rubber
taped to your hat, cut to look like a slice of Wonder Bread, and shoot
them
with a .410 and cylinder choke. d8-)

Those geese are a nuisance in these parts. They're so bold they think
they can bluff a pickup truck on the way to Wal-Mart.

They do step smartly when their bluff is called.

No gun needed to harvest these varmints, a machete would suffice.

Same here, but 'tain't legal. You have to run up to them and kick them in
the butt, then, when they take off, shoot 'em.

It's not very sporting but they're delicious. And you're helping the
environment. g

A few years back one of my son's soccer games was called by the ref because
the kids were slipping all over on the goose crap. They're that thick around
here. It's hard to believe that back in 1960, biologists were ready to
declare the maxima subspecies extinct. All of the maximas in the country are
believed to come from one small bunch of captive ones, from somewhere in the
upper Midwest, that may have been a hunting club's live decoys at one time.

--
Ed Huntress