Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Newbie, no idea where to start.

I want to make necklaces out of small plastic toys such as jacks, toy
soldiers, etc.

I read a little bit about how to melt aluminum in an easy backyard
foundry thing (I don't know the terms), and I was wondering would it
be easier (or possible) to dip the object into some molten aluminum,
pewter, or something to make a nice metal coating, or if I need to
make a sand casting. The thing is I don't have anything to grind off
the excess with if I mold it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Popess Pantiara Evokovitch, BAYBEE! wrote:
I want to make necklaces out of small plastic toys such as jacks, toy
soldiers, etc.

I read a little bit about how to melt aluminum in an easy backyard
foundry thing (I don't know the terms), and I was wondering would it
be easier (or possible) to dip the object into some molten aluminum,
pewter, or something to make a nice metal coating, or if I need to
make a sand casting. The thing is I don't have anything to grind off
the excess with if I mold it.

Plastic melts at a much lower temperature than aluminum.

If you live close to a community college, take some basic shop classes.
Check if there's one specifically for artists.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Plastic melts at a much lower temperature than aluminum.

Paint
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...irrachrome.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:38:52 -0700 (PDT), "Popess Pantiara Evokovitch,
BAYBEE!" wrote:

I want to make necklaces out of small plastic toys such as jacks, toy
soldiers, etc.

I read a little bit about how to melt aluminum in an easy backyard
foundry thing (I don't know the terms), and I was wondering would it
be easier (or possible) to dip the object into some molten aluminum,
pewter, or something to make a nice metal coating, or if I need to
make a sand casting. The thing is I don't have anything to grind off
the excess with if I mold it.

You might be better off looking toward jewelry making methods if you
want those necklaces to have high definition to them. You can make a
silicone rubber mold direct from the item, or plaster of paris.

Or make a copy of the item in wax (with a wax rod for a sprue
attached) and use the Lost Wax method - dip it in a plaster solution
to make a mold, then a few layers of plaster/sand to build up the
shell. Then melt/burn the wax out of the middle in an oven to make
your mold.

Then you melt your Aluminum or Zamac (Zinc Aluminum Copper alloy,
AKA "Pot Metal") in a proper small crucible and cast away.

Buy your casting alloy if you can, 'mystery metal' Aluminum from
scrap (extrusion or structural alloys) doesn't cast worth a darn. And
even the casting ones the alloy elements can get all messed up in the
reheat, especially if you aren't quick and let it bubble for a while.
You will have enough variables to deal with getting your molding and
venting right.

-- Bruce --