Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF tubing roller

I've been meaning to build a tubing roller for some time, but just never
got around to it. And the big problem of the rollers: expensive stock &
tricky to turn. But HF now has one for $180:

It has rollers for 1/2", 1", and 1-1/4" tubing, according to the
catalog. Or 1", 1 1/2", & 2" according to the manual.

Whadda' think?

Bob
--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Pretty neat! Gonna get me one today, heh. Will make my own
'adjustable stand' tho..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're passing
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : through the moronosphere!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It has rollers for 1/2", 1", and 1-1/4" tubing, according to the
catalog. Or 1", 1 1/2", & 2" according to the manual.

I've emailed HF Technical Support about the sizes. I'll post when I
hear. Bob
--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Sell that metal building of yours yet, Ed?
You could make a greenhouse with that HF thang.

--Heh. Wound up using about a third of it to make a nice shelter for
my sheetmetal tools. 2/3 is still up for grabs tho... ;-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Beauty time brains tends
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to be a constant...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14 Sep 2008 15:28:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer
quickly quoth:

--Hmmm. Got 'page not responding' with both links. Oh well...

Damn, did eBay break links to their _own_ urls, too? Idiots!

Greenhouse tubing bender, $129
http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenhouse-Tubin...742.m153.l1262

Eddie Paul bender, $974
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Paul-Tubin...3286.m20.l1116

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It has rollers for 1/2", 1", and 1-1/4" tubing, according to the
catalog. Or 1", 1 1/2", & 2" according to the manual.

I've emailed HF Technical Support about the sizes. I'll post when I
hear. Bob

Just in: "COMES WITH 1/2", 1" AND 1-1/4" ROLLERS". I.e., the catalog
listing is right & the manual wrong. I wonder how confident one can be
with this answer? 'Though I suppose the manual could be a re-use of one
for a 1, 1-1/2, 2" tubing roller.

Bob

--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

It has rollers for 1/2", 1", and 1-1/4" tubing, according to the
catalog. Or 1", 1 1/2", & 2" according to the manual.

I've emailed HF Technical Support about the sizes. I'll post when I
hear. Bob

Just in: "COMES WITH 1/2", 1" AND 1-1/4" ROLLERS". I.e., the catalog
listing is right & the manual wrong. I wonder how confident one can be
with this answer? 'Though I suppose the manual could be a re-use of one
for a 1, 1-1/2, 2" tubing roller.

Bob

It also depends on how you're measuring the tubing. The HF hydraulic
bender that I had stated pretty much the same thing but when bending
11/4" tubing for roll cages none of the dies were a really good fit,
even though it said 11/4" on the die. Some tubing is measured by O.D.
while some is measured by I.D., and there's a world of difference
between them.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF tubing roller - follow up

I had an idea: HF sells parts for their tools & the tubing roller manual
has the part numbers. I could just buy the rollers & make my own
bender, if the cost of the rollers was reasonable. I emailed them for
the prices & got this response:
"The parts you are inquiring about will need to be special ordered. We
do not have pricing or availability at this time. I will be happy to
place a parts order for you and when pricing is available you will be
mailed a card, to advise you of the price. At that time, you can decide
if you would like us to order the part for you from our vendor. ...
Please be advised, that special order parts take approximately 6 to 8
weeks for delivery."

Bob
--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
:Bob Engelhardt wrote:
: ...
:
: I've emailed HF Technical Support about the sizes. I'll post when I
: hear. Bob
:
:
:Just in: "COMES WITH 1/2", 1" AND 1-1/4" ROLLERS". I.e., the catalog
:listing is right & the manual wrong. I wonder how confident one can be
:with this answer? 'Though I suppose the manual could be a re-use of one
:for a 1, 1-1/2, 2" tubing roller.

The manual is inconsistent, referring to 1", 1-1/2", and 2" tubing in
several places, but warning on page 3 against use on tubing larger than
1-1/4".

Hey, you can't expect both decent English and accuracy too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-16, Jim Chandler wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[ ... ]

It also depends on how you're measuring the tubing. The HF hydraulic
bender that I had stated pretty much the same thing but when bending
11/4" tubing for roll cages none of the dies were a really good fit,
even though it said 11/4" on the die. Some tubing is measured by O.D.
while some is measured by I.D., and there's a world of difference
between them.

For that matter -- could you please put either a space or a
hyphen '-' between the inches and the fraction parts? your "11/4" looks
like 2-3/4" (eleven divided by four). Running the integer and fraction
parts together as you do makes it easy to mis-interpret the size. If
using spaces as the separator, and listing multiple sizes, a comma
between sizes will help to keep it sorted out. A hyphen between the
integer and fraction parts is fine as long as you don't add a space,
which makes it look like "one minus 1/2".

Thanks
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

Tubing is measured by the OD. Pipe, up through 12" diameter, is measured
by the ID, but you have to understand pipe lingo for that to make sense.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

I knew that, but some might not have. I've heard people describe tubing
as pipe and vice-versa. That's kinda why I posted that admonition.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds about right. I'd have called them,(with the product SKU and the
part item numbers) though. (you might have been able to get a ball park
price quote if you are patient and polite). I can't promise anything,
but I've done this many times and the prices have always been
reasonable, in my opinion. Besides, you do get a chance to say "no".
And, if for some reason, the parts don't come as promised, you get
another card giving you the choice of waiting longer or cancelling.

Obviously this isn't the way to do it if you are in hurry, but I
think a good part of the wait time is for the overseas company to make
them the next time they run that product. I suspect that they do have
some high volume parts closer at hand, but the thing that you and I are
doing is stressing their system. Parts such as these rollers probably
don't fail often, so they are handled as "lumpy demand" items, those
that are only ordered in spurts, with, sometimes, years between orders.

Don't tell anyone else what we are doing or HF might quit supplying
parts this way!!!

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I had an idea: HF sells parts for their tools & the tubing roller manual
has the part numbers. I could just buy the rollers & make my own
bender, if the cost of the rollers was reasonable. I emailed them for
the prices & got this response:
"The parts you are inquiring about will need to be special ordered. We
do not have pricing or availability at this time. I will be happy to
place a parts order for you and when pricing is available you will be
mailed a card, to advise you of the price. At that time, you can decide
if you would like us to order the part for you from our vendor. ...
Please be advised, that special order parts take approximately 6 to 8
weeks for delivery."

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

I knew that, but some might not have. I've heard people describe tubing
as pipe and vice-versa. That's kinda why I posted that admonition.

Like the current 'Popular Mechanics' where it talks about soldering
copper tubing?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Tubing notcher [email protected] Metalworking 13 August 1st 07 12:53 AM
Sprayer versus roller versus power roller [email protected] Home Repair 15 February 3rd 07 02:26 AM
Use of PEX tubing Art Todesco Home Repair 7 April 3rd 05 08:20 AM
Tubing roller Backlash Metalworking 4 January 17th 04 09:37 PM
Tubing Roller Progress Report Errol Groff Metalworking 2 November 17th 03 05:20 PM