DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solid Plastic Tools (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/259842-solid-plastic-tools.html)

DonFigo September 9th 08 08:38 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic
case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

Jim Stewart September 9th 08 09:12 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

DonFigo wrote:
I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic case.I
tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

You used to be able to buy fiberglass screwdrivers
commonly known as alignment tools. Haven't seen
them for years, but haven't looked for them either.

Cydrome Leader September 9th 08 09:24 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

DonFigo wrote:
I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic
case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

they sell plastic tools that scratch things less than metal at cell phone
parts stores online. They're like the ipod opening tools sold at battery
places.

they're really nothing special though. I use popsicle sticks to pry things
apart. They do splinter and make a mess if you're rough though.

Robert Roland September 9th 08 09:26 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:38:43 -0400, DonFigo
wrote:

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic
case.

If you found a plastic screwdriver that could actually drive screws,
the plastic would be hard enough to damage the laptop plastic.

There are special tools made for the job. They look like a small
version of the ice scrapers you use to scrape ice off the car's
windows.
--
RoRo

[email protected] September 9th 08 09:26 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

On Sep 9, 3:38 pm, DonFigo wrote:
I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic
case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

Google
"non-metallic screwdriver"
or
"plastic screwdriver"

http://www.ivproducts.com/pages/tools.html
http://www.action-electronics.com/alignmenttools.htm

Dave

Winston September 9th 08 10:21 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

DonFigo wrote:
I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic case.I
tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

You want a few spudgers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driph/2812012796/

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...042&DESC=35621

--Winston

Jeff Wisnia September 9th 08 11:49 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

Winston wrote:

DonFigo wrote:

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a
laptop,and I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the
plastic case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

You want a few spudgers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driph/2812012796/

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...042&DESC=35621

--Winston

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ed Huntress September 10th 08 12:47 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
Winston wrote:

DonFigo wrote:

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic case.I
tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

You want a few spudgers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driph/2812012796/

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...042&DESC=35621 -
-Winston

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

Jeff

"I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to go to the pharmacy next door for those.
They have all brands of condoms there."

--
Ed Huntress

Winston September 10th 08 01:06 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
(...)

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

As she backs away frowning, just tell her that some are known as
"booger pickers" or "booger hooks".

:)

--Winston -- Mr. Helpful

Wild_Bill September 10th 08 02:12 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

One of my most-used tools for cases with barbed latches is the GC 5004

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/3480-0010/

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cat/ss/3480-0010.jpg

5004 is the top item in the picture, and has a flat screwdriver tip on each
end.
There are numerous other tools, but this one is soft enough to minimize
marring or gouging of most hard plastics.
Also great for slotted brush caps on universal motors, this softer material
won't crack or chip Bakelite like a metal screwdriver will.

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you get several of them.

Mixing/stirring, applicator, scraper, pry bar, wedge and lots of other uses.

You might find many others by searching tweak/er, insulated or
non-conductive probe/stick or similar terms.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

bq340[_2_] September 10th 08 02:27 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Winston wrote:

DonFigo wrote:

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a
laptop,and I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the
plastic case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated
tools.

You want a few spudgers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driph/2812012796/

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...042&DESC=35621

--Winston

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

Jeff

Or, ask for a diddle stick.

MikeB

Martin H. Eastburn September 10th 08 02:52 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

Gosh - just make one with a good file and some tough plastic.
Maybe the feed rods from a plastic model.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

whit3rd September 10th 08 03:56 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

On Sep 9, 12:38*pm, DonFigo wrote:
I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a laptop,and
I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the plastic

Of course, they aren't called 'screwdriver'. Either use a
bamboo stick whittled to a chisel edge, or a putty knife (the
flexible-bladed type, usually).

There are nylon tools with various names for these tasks, but
the bamboo-chopstick-and-a-good-pocketknife solution works well.

Larry Jaques September 10th 08 04:27 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:49:09 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff
Wisnia quickly quoth:

Winston wrote:

DonFigo wrote:

I'm looking for a solid plastic screwdriver.I have to open a
laptop,and I don't to use metal screwdriver because it scratches the
plastic case.I tried google but I only come up with plastic coated tools.

You want a few spudgers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/driph/2812012796/

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...042&DESC=35621

--Winston

Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

Is that where you ask her to look on the bottom rack for a few minutes
while you check out her upper assets? Shameful!

Yeah, spiffy new word.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Joe Pfeiffer September 10th 08 04:37 AM

Solid Plastic Tools

"Ed Huntress" writes:

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

"I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to go to the pharmacy next door for those.
They have all brands of condoms there."

I had a brother-in-law, who died of multiple sclerosis. When his
condition was fairly advanced and he was pretty much house-bound, his
computer mouse wore out its ball (you know where this is going,
right?). This was long ago enough that you would replace these parts
rather than just replace the mouse, so yes, my sister was sent to the
computer store to buy a mouse ball. Not one of the little ones, a big
mouse ball. The worst of it was that she knew exactly what was going
to happen when she asked for it, and she couldn't find a way to
rephrase the question to avoid it...

Michael A. Terrell September 10th 08 01:01 PM

Solid Plastic Tools

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Ed Huntress" writes:

Now I can fantasize about walking into a Rat Shack store and asking the
counter girl where the spudgers are. G

"I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to go to the pharmacy next door for those.
They have all brands of condoms there."

I had a brother-in-law, who died of multiple sclerosis. When his
condition was fairly advanced and he was pretty much house-bound, his
computer mouse wore out its ball (you know where this is going,
right?). This was long ago enough that you would replace these parts
rather than just replace the mouse, so yes, my sister was sent to the
computer store to buy a mouse ball. Not one of the little ones, a big
mouse ball. The worst of it was that she knew exactly what was going
to happen when she asked for it, and she couldn't find a way to
rephrase the question to avoid it...

Are you saying she wasn't smart enough to take the mouse with her,
and tell then it needed a new ball?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.