DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   need Surface Grinder help (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/259786-need-surface-grinder-help.html)

Stupendous Man September 9th 08 05:29 AM

need Surface Grinder help

Hi.
I have an old "Abrasive Machinery Company" model 3B at work. It's big old
monster and does OK, but the X feed is pretty fast and it has a plunger on
the gear box below the manual X feed wheel that is stuck. Can anyone
identify it as a speed selector before i go taking apart a machine that I
cant find parts or a reasonably priced manual for?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...acegrinder.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...ercontrols.jpg

--
Stupendous Man,

Randy September 9th 08 01:36 PM

need Surface Grinder help

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:29:40 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

Hi.
I have an old "Abrasive Machinery Company" model 3B at work. It's big old
monster and does OK, but the X feed is pretty fast and it has a plunger on
the gear box below the manual X feed wheel that is stuck. Can anyone
identify it as a speed selector before i go taking apart a machine that I
cant find parts or a reasonably priced manual for?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...acegrinder.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...dercontrols.jp

looks just like my M3, that is the speed control, pulled out is fast
pushed in is slow. My machine is an 8 x 24 and is for sale. Allentown
PA 18102. Cheap. B & S Techmaster 824 waiting to take its place.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Stupendous Man September 9th 08 02:01 PM

need Surface Grinder help

looks just like my M3, that is the speed control, pulled out is fast
pushed in is slow. My machine is an 8 x 24 and is for sale. Allentown
PA 18102. Cheap. B & S Techmaster 824 waiting to take its place.

Thank you sir. i guess i will be pulling it apart today. the plunger is so
stuck I was worried about bending it or busting it off.
I am a small, low budget shop and in eastern California. Do you have the
manual for the M3? I might need some info out of it in a day or so.
--
Stupendous Man,

Stupendous Man September 11th 08 04:04 AM

need Surface Grinder help

Is the "M3" machine also made by Abrasive?
I fixed the bent shift plunger rod today and will re-install it tomorrow. It
must have been bent when or before the machine got here 6 years ago. It says
on the machine to fill the 200Lbs+ gear box with "machine oil",l I guess i
will use what i have for the lathe.
--
Stupendous Man,

Randy September 11th 08 01:59 PM

need Surface Grinder help

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:04:52 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

Is the "M3" machine also made by Abrasive?

YES

I fixed the bent shift plunger rod today and will re-install it tomorrow. It
must have been bent when or before the machine got here 6 years ago. It says
on the machine to fill the 200Lbs+ gear box with "machine oil",l I guess i
will use what i have for the lathe.

I think I used SAE30 motor oil. never did find a source for a manual
for mine.

Stupendous Man September 11th 08 02:46 PM

need Surface Grinder help

never did find a source for a manual
for mine.

I had found one a year ago for about $200. They probably still have it.