Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Want to buy Kaypro II computer.

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

Gee, what do you need it for? The last time I saw one it was attached to an AB8400B
motion controller as an enginneer from ASI Robotics made changes to the PLC side of the
control.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

I have an almost finished Xerox 820 that I bought the MB from an add in Micro Cornucopia
many years ago. Before I got it finished the IBM PC came along...

Also have a homebrew 32K mem expansion for my TI99/4a out in the garage.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

Cool.
Is that 256k daughterboard from SWP?

I have a motley collection of old boards too.
Kapro II, SWP Z80, Big Board, and a 2 meg Co-power (unpopulated
unfortunately). And a fair collection of single board trainers.

What I'd prefer is a working K-II with the full height floppy bays.

I thought I'd set the WayBack for a kinder gentler time in computer
history - one where one could actually do I/O for control applications.

On a modern Windows machine that's almost impossible.
Sure, you can write a DLL for I/O, but the timing jitter makes it pretty
useless.

Way Back then, before being dragged kicking and screaming into the IBM
world, I had 6 or 8 Kaypros in stock. My personal machine, the one I
bought brand new, was humming along at 10 Mhz, had 2 floppies and a
10 meg hard drive, a Copower II co-processor for ram disk and/or MSDOS,
a Z80 printer buffer (256k) and a color display driver for an external
TV.

I've been tinkering with a "modern" CP/M machine fro the 21st Century.

Current technology would produce:

50 Mhz Z80 (!) 2 Gig ram, 800x600 VGA display, USB port for pen drives.
Drive A (user programs) cast in ROM (virus proof!).

The whole thing looks like it would fit in a bumb on the back of a flat
panel LCD display.

And - yes, it can do I/O... Like machine control stuff.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

Gee, what do you need it for? The last time I saw one it was attached to an AB8400B
motion controller as an enginneer from ASI Robotics made changes to the PLC side of the
control.

Wes

Try that from a Windows machine, Wes...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter
board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

I have an almost finished Xerox 820 that I bought the MB from an add in Micro
Cornucopia
many years ago. Before I got it finished the IBM PC came along...

Also have a homebrew 32K mem expansion for my TI99/4a out in the garage.

Wes

I have every issue of Micro-C, for some reason I could never pitch them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I've done such using DOS on a 486 and the printer port.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 2, 7:19*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

(remove the X to email)- Hide quoted text -

Why not just take advantage of one of the myriad microprocessors
designed expressly for control purposes? Even a Basic Stamp is
perfectly adequate for many uses. And the code development can be
done on your windows or linux pc. Advantages are you get support,
modern devices and interfaces, and probably just as cheap as an
antique machine from the dawn of microcomputing.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I have every issue of Micro-C, for some reason I could never pitch them.

I LOVED that rag!

Especially the articles like "How I almost invented VisiCalc",
and "The Rectangle at the end of the Julia Tree".

True keepers, Tom.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob wrote:

Why not just take advantage of one of the myriad microprocessors
designed expressly for control purposes? Even a Basic Stamp is
perfectly adequate for many uses. And the code development can be
done on your windows or linux pc. Advantages are you get support,
modern devices and interfaces, and probably just as cheap as an
antique machine from the dawn of microcomputing.

Bob

I have a lot of old code I wrote years ago.
I'd just like to see it dance again.

Come on, guys, SOMEbody has a Kaypro stashed in a closet somewhere!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

You can get anything on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KayPro-II-Vintag...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I have every issue of Micro-C, for some reason I could never pitch them.

I don't have every issue but I subscribed to the end. I keep an eye out on the alt book
groups for someone that copied them and put them up. Has the publisher ever offered to
sell the collection as a scan on DVD?

Wes
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

You can get anything on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KayPro-II-Vintag...QQcmdZViewItem

Gulp!
$25,000 ???

Held it's value well, didn't it!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KAYPRO-II-VINTAG...2em118Q2el1247

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 3, 1:50*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Bob wrote:
Why not just take advantage of one of the myriad microprocessors
designed expressly for control purposes? *Even a Basic Stamp is
perfectly adequate for many uses. *And the code development can be
done on your windows or linux pc. *Advantages are you get support,
modern devices and interfaces, and probably just as cheap as an
antique machine from the dawn of microcomputing.

Bob

I have a lot of old code I wrote years ago.
I'd just like to see it dance again.

Come on, guys, SOMEbody has a Kaypro stashed in a closet somewhere!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Have you tried the Kaypro emulators that are available?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:05:49 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl
Townsend" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

You can get anything on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KayPro-II-Vintag...QQcmdZViewItem

My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob wrote:

Have you tried the Kaypro emulators that are available?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I must have missed that post.

Yeah, I have software emulators running out of my ears.
That's about all com.os.cpm discusses these days.

I even have a small z-80 hardware emulator that I built years back.
Back when I was doing automated test equipment.
It was kind of neat, or at least I thought so.

I built several of them. One for Z80 boards (replaced the processor
chip), one for IBM ISA cards, and several custom wiring harness
scanners.

Don't have a clue what the point of all this is.
I guess I just felt homesick for the old days.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

http://www.historicaviation.com/prod...v Shf?ID=1413

Good reading too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip
My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

So, you admit to killing him with that piece of crap!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 00:13:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip
My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

So, you admit to killing him with that piece of crap!

No, it was _Bill_ who gave him congestive heart failure, not I.
I don't cop to nuttin'.

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Bob wrote:

Why not just take advantage of one of the myriad microprocessors
designed expressly for control purposes? Even a Basic Stamp is
perfectly adequate for many uses. And the code development can be
done on your windows or linux pc. Advantages are you get support,
modern devices and interfaces, and probably just as cheap as an
antique machine from the dawn of microcomputing.

Bob

I have a lot of old code I wrote years ago.
I'd just like to see it dance again.

Come on, guys, SOMEbody has a Kaypro stashed in a closet somewhere!

I have a working one. (Well, it worked last time I booted it.) HAS OS
DISK WORDSTAR, BASIC, SPREADSHEET, ETC, ETC. Oops caps lock got stuck.

Email me and lets deal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Bob wrote:

Why not just take advantage of one of the myriad microprocessors
designed expressly for control purposes? Even a Basic Stamp is
perfectly adequate for many uses. And the code development can be
done on your windows or linux pc. Advantages are you get support,
modern devices and interfaces, and probably just as cheap as an
antique machine from the dawn of microcomputing.

Bob

I have a lot of old code I wrote years ago.
I'd just like to see it dance again.

Come on, guys, SOMEbody has a Kaypro stashed in a closet somewhere!

I have a working one. (Well, it worked last time I booted it.) HAS OS
DISK WORDSTAR, BASIC, SPREADSHEET, ETC, ETC. Oops caps lock got stuck.

Email me and lets deal.

done

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

Just blew the fun money for week with tooling companies. I may have to ask you down the
road for the title of the book. It needs to be in my library.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-03, Tom Gardner wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

[ ... ]

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

Pity I didn't see this before last Sunday's hamfest. I think I
saw someone with a couple of them there.

And I know someone who used to collect them. I'm not sure
whether he still has his, but if you want, drop me an e-mail and I'll
check. (And post here if the e-mail bounces -- I don't think that your
IPs are within any of my block ranges, but I never can be sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Anybody near Dallas have a working Kaypro II for sale?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

I have a couple home-brew Xerox 820 with Z-80, SSSD 8" FDD, 256k daughter board,
linear power supply, running CP/M. *Nothing in cases, motherboards were bought
bare and populated with a soldering iron. * Bunches of text adventures,
Wordstar, Visi-calc and more. Work fine!

My oldest machine is an Altair 680b (the Motorola 6800 CPU
instead of the more common Intel 8080 CPU) -- "raised from a kit". Lots
of other machines since, with UltraSPARC machines being the current bach
in service.

[ ... ]

[...]

*And* -- it would probably draw so little power you would never
notice it -- while the Kaypro-II would draw more -- IIRC it had a liner
power supply, so it was heavier and less efficient than a switcher would
be.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
And I know someone who used to collect them. I'm not sure
whether he still has his, but if you want, drop me an e-mail and I'll
check. (And post here if the e-mail bounces -- I don't think that your
IPs are within any of my block ranges, but I never can be sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Hey Don!

Thank you.

I'm sending this to your Dungeons and Dragons address as well as the list.

Reply to

The reply address in the header is
for spammers.
Just take out the X.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:56:59 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

My dad wrote his book, _To Rule the Sky_, on an old Kaypro II with
dual 160k single-sided floppies. UFR! I gave him my old Win 98 box
before he died.

Just blew the fun money for week with tooling companies. I may have to ask you down the
road for the title of the book. It needs to be in my library.

I'm guessing that you're a WWII buff. It's a book by and about the
men of the U.S. Army Air Corps Flying Class 41-G around the world
during WWII, including the story of my father being shot down and held
in a prison camp. Mine is signed, limited edition copy #2.

Amazon has two copies (Out of the 5(?) thousand they had printed.)

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-05, cavelamb himself wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
And I know someone who used to collect them. I'm not sure
whether he still has his, but if you want, drop me an e-mail and I'll
check. (And post here if the e-mail bounces -- I don't think that your
IPs are within any of my block ranges, but I never can be sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Hey Don!

Thank you.

I'm sending this to your Dungeons and Dragons address as well as the list.

Reply to

I did -- and your system bounced it -- wanting me to go through
some sign-up proceedure.

*You* e-mailed me first. I don't jump through hoops like this
unless I *really* need to communicate with someone, and I'm not happy
about it anyway. You should have enabled me when you e-mailed me if you
expected a reply.

I'm willing to bet that it wants me to have JavaScript and
cookies enabled to do it, too.

No thanks,

If you want to turn my e-mail on from your side, and rescue the
cached e-mail -- go ahead.

DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-05, cavelamb himself wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

I got your message

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Did you happen to check out the 1st Saturday Computer (etc) Fleamarket
in Dallas last weekend?

Used to be able to count on stuff like that being there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Just blew the fun money for week with tooling companies. I may have to ask you down the
road for the title of the book. It needs to be in my library.

I'm guessing that you're a WWII buff. It's a book by and about the
men of the U.S. Army Air Corps Flying Class 41-G around the world
during WWII, including the story of my father being shot down and held
in a prison camp. Mine is signed, limited edition copy #2.

Amazon has two copies (Out of the 5(?) thousand they had printed.)

Who retains the copyright on it now?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 05:52:33 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Just blew the fun money for week with tooling companies. I may have to ask you down the
road for the title of the book. It needs to be in my library.

I'm guessing that you're a WWII buff. It's a book by and about the
men of the U.S. Army Air Corps Flying Class 41-G around the world
during WWII, including the story of my father being shot down and held
in a prison camp. Mine is signed, limited edition copy #2.

Amazon has two copies (Out of the 5(?) thousand they had printed.)

Who retains the copyright on it now?

Good question, Wes. I don't even know if Bill Leet is still alive.

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My first computer is a wire-wrapped 8080 with a minicomputer-style
front panel and I/O circuits copied from the original PC, video like
the RS Color Computer and a TTY and tape recorder for storage. I had
written an OS, editor and assembler for it before realizing how much
time I had wasted recreating the past.

I've set up several PCs including an Athlon 1700+ running Windows 2000
to control custom hardware via the printer port by formatting the
drive FAT32 and booting the minimal DOS on a Win98 recovery disk.
COMSPEC=C:\DOS98\COMMAND.COM in Autoexec let it run without the boot
floppy to load programs. Floppy in to boot DOS, out for W2K. I haven't
tried a bootable DOS CD.

This is QBasic code to find the printer ports. Data can be set to
bidirectional. Control is open-drain outputs, Status is read-only
inputs.

''' read LPT1 from 0000:0408 in BIOS memory.
' normally LPT1 = &H378 LPT2 = &H278
DEF SEG = &H0
LPT1DATA = (256 * PEEK(&H409)) + PEEK(&H408)
LPT1STAT = LPT1DATA + 1
LPT1CTRL = LPT1DATA + 2

register map bit7 6 5 4 3
2 1 0
' LPT1DATA &H378 D7+ D6+ D5+ D4+ D3+ D2+ D1+ D0+
' LPT1STAT &H379 S7- S6+ S5+ S4+ S3+ S2- S1x S0x
' LPT1CTRL &H37A C7x C6x C5+ C4+ C3- C2+ C1- C0-

DB25 pinout
' C0- D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 S6+ S7- S5+ S4+
' 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
' 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
' C1- S3+ C2+ C3- Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd Gnd

Hardware limits the printer bits to 1uS access time. The clock still
interrupts for about 20uS every ~55mS.

Then there's C++ and Unix. I'd use them if someone paid me.

Jim Wilkins

How Much Computer ? Terry Coombs Metalworking 21 June 16th 08 01:59 AM
computer (it) [email protected] UK diy 0 May 4th 08 12:00 PM
Computer [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 September 29th 07 05:21 PM
Using a Computer PSU without a computer simon lloyd Electronics 5 May 6th 05 11:55 PM
CNC computer c Metalworking 10 July 18th 03 04:31 AM