Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eug Eug is offline

Default Miller Syncrowave 250DX welder Amperage problem

This machine is a 2004 model used for tig with a water cooled torch
and foot pedal remote control. The problem started when the remote
cable was damaged causing the machine to give an error code 12. The
foot pedal cable was repaired and the machine now starts up normally.
Now I can strike an arc but cannot get the machine to go over 56 amps.
The foot pedal appears to control the amperage but maxes out at 56,
even with the front panel amperage control set to max. The amperage
indicator reads up to 310 amps when idling but while welding, never
goes over 56.
To try and isolate the problem, I switched to “panel” control of
amperage and in this condition full amperage is delivered. Since we
have other machines in the shop, I swapped in another pedal resulting
in the same problem. (And the first pedal works fine on the other
machine.)
My guess is only two things remain, either the wiring from the plug to
the mother board or the motherboard itself.
I am hoping someone can suggest other tests or possibilities
Thanks!
Eug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eug wrote in news:ab55214a-269e-4a81-b3b8-
:

[...]

Two suggestions:

1. Re-post this on the sci.engr.joining.welding NG.

2. If you don't have the manuals - especially the wiring diagrams - for
this unit, go to the Miller website and download them..

Of course, you COULD just place a call to your Miller Dealer/Distributor
and see what they have to say...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think that this is a simple problem.

Get a manual for the RFCS-14 pedal.

Find out which three contacts are for the potentiometer common,
ground, and wiper. Measure resistance between two ends, and then
between one and wiper as you engage the pedal.

The latter should change from zero to the first value.

if it does not, you probably found your problem.

On 2008-07-02, RAM³ wrote:
[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eug wrote:
[...]

The main box sends a current through the pot in the foot control, and
senses the voltage on the slider. There is most likely a resistor on a
board in the main box in series with the pot in the foot control, and
the shorted cable has burned up that resistor. Open the machine and
examine the boards for a burned part. You may need to trace the wires
from the foot control plug back to find the burned part. (It is
possible that the component's value has changed, but the part is not
totally charred to a crisp.) If you can find a burned component, check
one of the other machines to be able to read the part value, and
replace. With just a little luck, you should be able to fix this for
under $1.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14593 wrote:
I think that this is a simple problem.

Get a manual for the RFCS-14 pedal.

Find out which three contacts are for the potentiometer common,
ground, and wiper. Measure resistance between two ends, and then
between one and wiper as you engage the pedal.

The latter should change from zero to the first value.

if it does not, you probably found your problem.

He swapped in a known good pedal and the problem
didn't go away, so it's not the pedal or pedal
cable. Sounds like something is blown in the
box itself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Eug" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Eug
Since you have more than one Sinchrowave and would like to fix the welder
without involving a welder repair shop, you may consider swapping out the
PC1 board, It controls both the on-off and the amperage .
I also assume you have attempted to control the amperage with the front
panel setting. The amperage control for my Synchrowave 250 is a 1000 ohm
pot.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This machine is a 2004 model used for tig with a water cooled torch
and foot pedal remote control. (...)

Have you tried "Reset to Factory Settings" yet?
From: http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o363w_mil.pdf

"To reset all welding power source functions
to original factory settings, turn power off.
Push and hold the Process, Amperage,
Output, and Start controls and turn On power.
Hold switch pads for approximately 7
seconds (or until software version number
_ _ _ _ _ _-_clears meters)."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eug Eug is offline

I whish to thank everyone who answered, I was going to post this to a
welding forum but their registration process has malfunctioned.
In the interest of brevity, I left out many of the steps I have taken
in troubleshooting this problem.
Here are short answers to issues raised.
I have all manuals and schematics.
We have six machines in the shop from old dial arc 250s to 3
generations of Syncrowave 250s. Can’t run to dealer every time someone
rolls over a cable.
The foot pedal was eliminated.
I have reset to factory defaults.

Since my first posting, I have checked the wiring from the front panel
plug to the circuit board and found no problems.
Next I’ll remove pc1 board and check for damage as suggested by Jon
Elson.
Again, I want to thank everyone who replied
Eug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eug wrote:
I whish to thank everyone who answered, I was going to post this to a
welding forum but their registration process has malfunctioned.

There is no registration process...

sci.engr.joining.welding

is a usenet group just like this one and very helpful, and spam/OT free

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eug wrote:
I whish to thank everyone who answered

(...)
Hi Eug,

I would like to know if there is an issue with the 10 VDC *going
to* the 'Remote 14 Receptacle' or *coming back into* the 'Remote
14 Receptacle'. Please see diagram 3-8 the top of page 14.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o363w_mil.pdf

Can you temporarily clip a DC voltmeter on the circuit board:
1) First, between return (Same as Pin D) and 'Output to remote control' (Same as Pin C)
2) Second, between return (Same as Pin D) and '0 to +10 volts dc input command
signal from remote control.' (Same as Pin E)

In 'Remote' mode you should see a constant 10 V on the first meter position and on
the second meter position you should see a voltage that varies from nearly 0 V to 10 V
as you press on the remote amperage control pedal.

It sounds as if you get not much more than 1.81 V *to* the pedal if the
problem is on the 'left' side of the pedal (signal going into the pedal)
*as Jon Elson said.*

Alternatively you should look on the 'right' side of the pedal (signal
processed by the circuit board) if you see that the pedal gets its 10 V
reference and outputs 0-10 V as outlined above.

Divide By Two, and Conquer! (Phil Gold, 1982)

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:57:12 -0700 (PDT), Eug
wrote:

I whish to thank everyone who answered, I was going to post this to a
welding forum but their registration process has malfunctioned.
In the interest of brevity, I left out many of the steps I have taken
in troubleshooting this problem.
Here are short answers to issues raised.
I have all manuals and schematics.
We have six machines in the shop from old dial arc 250s to 3
generations of Syncrowave 250s. Can’t run to dealer every time someone
rolls over a cable.
The foot pedal was eliminated.
I have reset to factory defaults.

Since my first posting, I have checked the wiring from the front panel
plug to the circuit board and found no problems.
Next I’ll remove pc1 board and check for damage as suggested by Jon
Elson.
Again, I want to thank everyone who replied
Eug

Did you make sure the replacement cable was the right one, and wired
correctly? You've swapped the pedals, but not the cables - try
swapping the new cable to the other machine and see if the problem
follows.

If you have then I have to agree with others, it might have fried
something on the mainboard inside the welder.

A short on a pedal shouldn't be able to blow up expensive bits
inside, but while chasing the dollar to the bottom companies can't
afford to build machines like that. If you build a 100% bomb proof
machine that keeps working no matter what - but it costs twice as much
as the competition, it's a hard sell to get people to pay a lot more.
A few will, but in mass production you need many...

-- Bruce --