Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default get rid of Windows nags

My CNC control doesn't work with windows updates on or virus software in
place... Somebody (I think "the kid" but maybe me) accidentally turned the
updates on and it crashed the control. Its too easy to do - the damn thing
nags constantly.

Is there a way to permanently disable virus and update requests on windows
XP?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl,

Go to
Control Panel
Security
Manage security settings
Select: turn off automatic updates

Repeat for firewall if desired.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My CNC control doesn't work with windows updates on or virus
software in place... Somebody (I think "the kid" but maybe me)
accidentally turned the updates on and it crashed the control.
Its too easy to do - the damn thing nags constantly.

Is there a way to permanently disable virus and update requests
on windows XP?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 11:14*am, "Karl Townsend"
Is there a way to permanently disable virus and update requests on windows
XP?
Karl

This is usually a good help site for PC problems.
http://www.pchell.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote in message
Karl,

Go to
Control Panel
Security
Manage security settings
Select: turn off automatic updates

Repeat for firewall if desired.

While you are there, go to "Change the way Windows alerts me" and get rid of
the nags.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you, Tom, I knew I forgot something but couldn't think what
it was.

--
______________________________

"DanG" wrote in message
Karl,

Go to
Control Panel
Security
Manage security settings
Select: turn off automatic updates

Repeat for firewall if desired.

While you are there, go to "Change the way Windows alerts me"
and get rid of the nags.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer
so i can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing else and let
nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is internet
connected.

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through out
the place.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:40:02 -0500, the renowned "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer
so i can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing else and let
nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is internet
connected.

I'm not a network guru, but here are a couple of suggestions:

The simplest way would probably be to set up the firewall in your
router to block all communication between the IP addresses of your CNC
machines and the WAN (internet).

Another way would be to pop another network card into your office
computer and use that for your shop network. By default it should not
bridge packets between the two networks. If it's a higher end machine,
it might even have two network cards already (all three of my office
machines do, the later ones it's all on the motherboard).

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through out
the place.

Karl

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN for
now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer so i
can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing else and let
nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is internet connected.

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through out
the place.

Karl

The router's firewall will protect the whole network to a great degree. Go to:
http://www.grc.com/default.htm and run "Shields Up".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 10:40 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer

Run the free version of ZoneAlarm on the CNC machines and all 3,
prohibit all IP addresses except from the office PC.

ZoneAlarm will ask the first time but check the "Always do this" and
click "Deny"

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office
computer so i can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing
else and let nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is
internet connected.

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through
out the place.

Karl

the absolute simplest, and most secure approach is to use an "air gap" -
plug the machines into your network to do what you need, then disconnect
them again. the simplest way is to get a $10 hub, connect the machines to
the hub, bring a single wire from the hub to your router and plug it in when
you need to, then disconnect when done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The router's firewall will protect the whole network to a great degree.
Go to:
http://www.grc.com/default.htm and run "Shields Up".

OK, I went there and read about a bunch of stuff I don't understand. its
talking about unbinding services on NT4. Sounds a bit dated to me. Is this
right? My first impression is this is a really good way to hose everything.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The router should have MAC address filtering. That is, you should be
able to put the ethernet hardware addresses of the computers you don't
want accessing the Internet in the router configuration. That will allow
those computers to participate on the local network while not having
access to the WAN (Internet).

If your router doesn't have such filtering capabilities, suggest get a
better one. All the Linksys Cable/DSL routers I've set up have that
capability.

I've got a linksys router. This sounds good but I'm really uninformed (dumb)
here. Anybody know of a good step by step tutorial?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:26:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

The router should have MAC address filtering. That is, you should be
able to put the ethernet hardware addresses of the computers you don't
want accessing the Internet in the router configuration. That will allow
those computers to participate on the local network while not having
access to the WAN (Internet).

If your router doesn't have such filtering capabilities, suggest get a
better one. All the Linksys Cable/DSL routers I've set up have that
capability.

I've got a linksys router. This sounds good but I'm really uninformed (dumb)
here. Anybody know of a good step by step tutorial?

RTFcheatsheet, Karl. Didn't it come with a poster-sized Routers for
Dummies installation sheet?

Try the Knowledge Base at Micro$oft: www.microsoft.com (If it's still
being given away.)

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Black Dragon" wrote in message

Thanks for the great advice.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

The router's firewall will protect the whole network to a great degree. Go
to:
http://www.grc.com/default.htm and run "Shields Up".

OK, I went there and read about a bunch of stuff I don't understand. its
talking about unbinding services on NT4. Sounds a bit dated to me. Is this
right? My first impression is this is a really good way to hose everything.

Karl

I just use Shields Up (one of the tabs) to check common ports, it will tell you
if they are accessible on the internet by bad guys. Nothing is installed or
changed. Your router's firewall will protect your systems from all but a
determined targeted non-random attack by experts with a lot of time and
sophistication. Any Gov. agencies after you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-29, Karl Townsend wrote:
My CNC control doesn't work with windows updates on or virus software in
place... Somebody (I think "the kid" but maybe me) accidentally turned the
updates on and it crashed the control. Its too easy to do - the damn thing
nags constantly.

Is there a way to permanently disable virus and update requests on windows
XP?

Umm ... cut off "the kid"s hands so he can't type or work the
mouse?

Remove windows and install some other OS?

Personally, I would *never* let a Windows box being used as a
machine control gain access to the net. *Period*. There is no reason
that it should, and plenty of reasons why it should not. And as long as
it can't get out, you don't have to worry about updates. And if systems
on the outside can't get in, you don't have to worry about virus updates
either.

And -- you'll probably have to clean the disk and reinstall to
get rid of your problems. (At least you aren't stuck with "Windows
Genuine Advantage" wanting to talk to home after every loose screw gets
tightened as you would be with Vista. :-)

If you *have* to have it on an internal net, keep a separate
firewall machine which is told to prevent allowing that machine to
contact the outside for updates or anything else.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-29, Karl Townsend wrote:

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer
so i can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing else and let
nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is internet
connected.

Do you have an empty slot in the office machine? Install an
extra ethernet card, and direct connect it to the CNC machines through a
stand-alone hub. Make sure you resist any attempts of the office
machine to get you to allow it to route between networks, which would
defeat what you want to do.

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through out
the place.

Break the lan with the extra ethernet card in the office
machine, and allow connections to the CNC machines only through that
ethernet port. I could tell you how to set it up on unix boxen, you'll
have to get it from someone else for Windows -- especially how to keep
it from routing between the two nets. I'll bet that Windows will want
to do the routing by default, and you'll have to fight it to keep it
from doing that.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just use Shields Up (one of the tabs) to check common ports, it will
tell you
if they are accessible on the internet by bad guys. Nothing is installed
or changed. Your router's firewall will protect your systems from all but
a determined targeted non-random attack by experts with a lot of time and
sophistication. Any Gov. agencies after you?

Only the IRS, BATF, Dept. of Health, OSHA, FSA,MN Ag, and a few others. My
biggest scare was when a child died with e-coli and they were looking for a
cause. The child's class had just been to an apple orchard and ate my
apples.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...

I just use Shields Up (one of the tabs) to check common ports, it will tell
you
if they are accessible on the internet by bad guys. Nothing is installed or
changed. Your router's firewall will protect your systems from all but a
determined targeted non-random attack by experts with a lot of time and
sophistication. Any Gov. agencies after you?

Only the IRS, BATF, Dept. of Health, OSHA, FSA,MN Ag, and a few others. My
biggest scare was when a child died with e-coli and they were looking for a
cause. The child's class had just been to an apple orchard and ate my apples.

Karl

It would seem to me that apples would not be high on the list of possibilities.
I would think that ground crops are much more likely. You don't spray your
apples with poor, do you? I didn't think so. What IS going on with these
tainted crops?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Ground water and animal production.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:54:27 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I just use Shields Up (one of the tabs) to check common ports, it will
tell you
if they are accessible on the internet by bad guys. Nothing is installed
or changed. Your router's firewall will protect your systems from all but
a determined targeted non-random attack by experts with a lot of time and
sophistication. Any Gov. agencies after you?

Only the IRS, BATF, Dept. of Health, OSHA, FSA,MN Ag, and a few others. My
biggest scare was when a child died with e-coli and they were looking for a
cause. The child's class had just been to an apple orchard and ate my
apples.

You're fibbing, Karl. You're not under attack by the BATF because they
now go by the name of BATFE (Now with EXPLOSIVES!). And, um, darn,
whassisname is right in his sig. The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and
Firearms should be a convenience store, not a gov't agency. ;-)

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 30, 9:23*am, Black Dragon wrote:
There has been a lot of bad advice handed out in this thread from
running zone alarm firewall on your CNC controls to installing some
other operating system. Much of that advice is based entirely on
ignorance and anti-Microsoft bias, which are often mutually inclusive.

Black Dragon

What is your objection to ZoneAlarm?

ProcessExplorer shows ZA loaded but inactive when off-line. I have
only this one old PC normally connected to the Internet but the others
have their connections set up, with restricted user rights, for the
few cases where I can't transfer files by flash drive. Microsoft
Update, for example, is much simpler when it's connected to the PC
being updated.