Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Started installing the DRO on my Bridgeport

Tons of people have done it. I have the Shooting Star 2 axis outfit on
my old vertical mill and love it. I know what you are talking about,
worrying that you won't do any permanent damage. I suggest taking the
time to make simple jigs to assure that holes get drilled in the right
place. If you have to tap some of them, get some brand new high quality
taps. Maybe you need to spot face/file/grind some of the locations
where holes need to be drilled.

Don't work on it when you are tired, or after too many beers.
Don't "Expect" that you will make mistakes. That may be just a
self-fullfiling prophecy. Let your gut tell you to stop, think, get
more info or skill, as necessary.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Ignoramus14972 wrote:

Some time ago I bought a Uniq three axis DRO for 9x42 milling machines
like my Bridgeport. I reasoned that if I went with a DRO, the added
expense of the third axis is not that much. So I got a three axis
version.

I have started installing it, trying very hard to avoid screwing
anything up permanently. Actually, as of this moment the mill has not
been drilled or tapped.

The added hassle is that there is no installation diagram. But this
webpage was helpful.

http://www.digitalreadoutsystem.com/Uniq/Uniq_dro.htm

So far I have assembled the reading head and the Y axis. I believe
that both X and Z, are considerably simplier than Y due to the fact
that for X and Y, the surfaces that move along each other are
parallel, but for Y they are perpendicular.

This DRO seems to be nicely made, actually, with splash guards, strain
reliefs, and other niceties.

My expectation is that I will make some mistakes, but I hope not to
break anything permanently.

Is there anyone else who installed their own DRO on the mill?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14972 writes:

Is there anyone else who installed their own DRO on the mill?

It seems you have to count on making some of your own mounting hardware.
When I bought the Anilam DRO for my lathe, supposedly with the mounting kit
for my exact model lathe, it still required some fitting and parts-making
to the saddle. The "instructions" were more of a general description of
the mounting principles, rather than step-by-step application to the
machine I actually had.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyone anticipating a DRO installation should have been/be searching eBay
for installation kits/brackets.

When I was looking into DROs, there were numerous sellers offering complete
new install kits for knee or vertical mills, and lathes, some for as little
as $12, IIRC.
When you can get the heavy duty brackets already drilled and tapped with
good quality mounting hardware, shims, and even the printed layout
dimensions for the mounting holes, the task is greatly simplified.
Searching the major DRO brand names may turn up some similar kits.

Then there's the option of making your own and improvising the install,
which may end up costing a lot, for a setup that isn't accurate.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:06:01 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Ignoramus14972 writes:

Is there anyone else who installed their own DRO on the mill?

It seems you have to count on making some of your own mounting hardware.
When I bought the Anilam DRO for my lathe, supposedly with the mounting kit
for my exact model lathe, it still required some fitting and parts-making
to the saddle. The "instructions" were more of a general description of
the mounting principles, rather than step-by-step application to the
machine I actually had.

make sure the scale is level, make sure the reader travels level along
the scale and doesnt drag on the scale,, make sure you figured your
ends of axis travel...the rest is simply mechanics

And use a dial indicator to double check your installation for
accuracy. some DROs have dip switches for compensation
IE..if you move 3.002 and the dro says 3.0....adjust the dip
switches..if any.

Gunn er

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-29, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ignoramus14972 writes:

Is there anyone else who installed their own DRO on the mill?

It seems you have to count on making some of your own mounting hardware.
When I bought the Anilam DRO for my lathe, supposedly with the mounting kit
for my exact model lathe, it still required some fitting and parts-making
to the saddle. The "instructions" were more of a general description of
the mounting principles, rather than step-by-step application to the
machine I actually had.

This Uniq kit, actually, comes with quite a few brackets. I tried
putting the X axis brackets together, and I think that there is enough
of these mounting things. These should fit Bridgeport mills, I think.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:59:47 -0500, Ignoramus14972

My expectation is that I will make some mistakes, but I hope not to
break anything permanently.

He who makes no mistakes usually makes nothing at all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14972" wrote in message
Some time ago I bought a Uniq three axis DRO for 9x42 milling machines
like my Bridgeport. I reasoned that if I went with a DRO, the added
expense of the third axis is not that much. So I got a three axis
version.

I have started installing it, trying very hard to avoid screwing
anything up permanently. Actually, as of this moment the mill has not
been drilled or tapped.

Somewhere, in your archives, are the pix I sent you of the install I did with
the same unit on the 2-axis version. Throw the instructions out and just
"common sense" it. Make sure nothing binds. For the "Y" axis, I used the
bracket stuff with the unit but had to cut some pieces. For the "X" axis, I
made a piece out of a 1/4" x 1.5" x 6" with a pocket milled in it for the
encoder. That way it has just the right thickness. I used 1/4-20s for
everything. Once I had a plan, it only took a couple of hours. Do you want me
to see if I still have the pix or shoot new ones?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:44:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan@
(Dan H) quickly quoth:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:59:47 -0500, Ignoramus14972

My expectation is that I will make some mistakes, but I hope not to
break anything permanently.

He who makes no mistakes usually makes nothing at all.

That is a mistake in and of itself.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-29, Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Tom, with great regret. I must say that unfortunately, the message is
not in any archives, I have no idea what happened.

I think that I have made a good Y axis mounting, as of now.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Getting started turftechs Home Repair 1 June 23rd 06 04:56 PM
getting started with CNC Cliff Metalworking 0 December 29th 05 10:57 AM
just getting started Benji White Woodworking 1 February 16th 05 04:16 PM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 03:20 PM
Help Installing Align Power Feed on Bridgeport Please? Wally Blackburn Metalworking 0 July 13th 03 02:28 PM