DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clear coating for metal outside Mil-C-85054 (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/254237-clear-coating-metal-outside-mil-c-85054-a.html)

[email protected] June 28th 08 02:35 PM

Clear coating for metal outside Mil-C-85054

Has anyone had any experience with Mil-C-85054? It is a clear coating
similar to varnish in that it drys as a hard coating. It takes a long
time to dry. The idea being that it allows water and salt to migrate
to the surface instead of being trapped. It is also called Amlguard .

I put some on a cast iron casting of a rooster that has been in the
yard for a year or so and it has not rusted.
One big drawback is that is it not cheap. I noted one outfit that is
selling 12 spray cans for $220.

Dan

[email protected] June 28th 08 02:42 PM

On Jun 28, 9:35*am, " wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Mil-C-85054? *It is a clear coating
similar to varnish in that it drys as a hard coating. *It takes a long
time to dry. *The idea being that it allows water and salt to migrate
to the surface instead of being trapped. *It is also called Amlguard .

I put some on a cast iron casting of a rooster *that has been in the
yard for a year or so and it has not rusted.
One big drawback is that is it not cheap. *I noted one outfit that is
selling 12 spray cans for $220.

Dan

I've coated metal with clear Imron about 25 years ago that hasn't
rusted. Although Imron's not cheap either.