Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this lathe a good restoration candidate?

Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
lid says...

Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

It doesn't look that bad. You can ask on the Practical Machinist "Antique
Machinery" forum, restoring old lathes is their favorite hobby.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...splay.php?f=19

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The surface rust is almost a non-issue...

Now, how good a condition is the lathe in? Severe wear near the
headstock=bad. Not running in all the gears=bad. Parts missing=bad. parts
broken=bad.

For rust, I'm sure there are many ways to handle it. My favorite: pressure
wash the heck out of it after several dosings of engine degreaser. follow
with several dosings of Lime away (phosphoric acid) and pressure wash. One
final shot of engine degreaser to kill all acid trace. Then go over whole
machine with a scotchbrite wheel. A coat of paint and it will look like new.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I will see this woman on the weekend, maybe something will come out of
this. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

I know something about massive lathe rebuilds, as I did one b
hand on a 15" Sheldon. It was worth it, as it is now a FINE
toolroom lathe, but it took something like 22 months! (It was
nice aerobic exercise, though.)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-27, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

I know something about massive lathe rebuilds, as I did one b
hand on a 15" Sheldon. It was worth it, as it is now a FINE
toolroom lathe, but it took something like 22 months! (It was
nice aerobic exercise, though.)

Would not want something that I could not do in a week. I have enough
projects as it stands. I finally cleaned up the garage enough to work
on installing the DRO on the mill, for example.

I will talk to her, maybe I can see it tonight or tomorrow. If it is
light rust and she can agree to a low price, I will get the lathe. The
plan was to clean it and install a VFD. I have some 5 HP VFDs with
somewhat broken enclosures, that are hard to sell but will do well inside
a lathe like this.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only YOU can determine what condition it's actually in (pictures can
be deceiving), how much you can do in a week, how important cosmetics
are to you, and whether the restored lathe might even meet your needs.

If you want to make precision parts and hold to dimensions measurable
only with a ten-thousandths micrometer, you may never get there. If
you want to display it in your living room, that may be out as well.
If, on the other hand, you want to do no more than keep it in your
garage to turn down an occasional bolt head or make a bushing for a
lawn tractor, it may be perfectly adequate just as it is.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5355 wrote:

Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Considering your activities on ebay, I would think that if this isn't something that works
for you, that you could part it out and sell the pieces.

I guess the price is the issue. What does she want?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5355" wrote in message
news
I will see this woman on the weekend, maybe something will come out of
this. Thanks.

Ah,ha. There is a woman involved.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-27, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5355 wrote:

Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Considering your activities on ebay, I would think that if this isn't something that works
for you, that you could part it out and sell the pieces.

I guess the price is the issue. What does she want?

I bought the lathe, all details, pictures and price are in my other
post about it, scary stuff

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Meh.

For cheap enough, just about anything can look like a bargain.

I'd want to see it firsthand, and determine how much is rust, how
solid the rust is, and how much of the "coating" is filth stuck in oil,
if any.

Weigh that off against your needs.

A guy that needs plus or minus a sixteenth, would probably be onto a
deal, a guy that thinks he can get it all the way back to spec, without
spending any bucks, is delusional.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-28, Trevor Jones wrote:
Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Meh.

For cheap enough, just about anything can look like a bargain.

I'd want to see it firsthand, and determine how much is rust, how
solid the rust is, and how much of the "coating" is filth stuck in oil,
if any.

Weigh that off against your needs.

A guy that needs plus or minus a sixteenth, would probably be onto a
deal, a guy that thinks he can get it all the way back to spec, without
spending any bucks, is delusional.

Yeah. I bought it. See my post about it.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-27, Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Hmm ... where is the 48"? Judging by what I can make out of the
steps of the folding rule, that is closer to a 24" one between centers.
Did he measure the full length of the bed instead of the distance between
centers?

And the spindle bore looks a bit small for a lathe of that size,
suggesting that it is an older one. You want a bore of at least 1-3/8"
to allow mounting of 5C collets. This looks a lot smaller than that.

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

The points which I mentioned above should be sufficient to
reject it. But I also don't particularly like the looks of the bottom
quarter of that 4-jaw chuck. It looks as though the whole machine sat
out in the rain for a while, and the chip pan filled with water to rust
the part of the chuck which was thus submerged.

Not enough detail on the ways -- but the center section does
look badly rusted.

Also -- the design of the traveling steady (follower rest)
looks as though it is for an older lathe than mine -- if it is truly for
a Clausing at all. That one appears to bolt onto the side of the
carriage between the ways, while the later ones (my model 5418 for
example) have a flat bottom on the steady which bolt onto the flat tops
of the left arms of the carriage -- much easier to get to, and more
rigid.

Also *one* replacement half-nut makes me wonder what happened to
the machine. They normally come in pairs.

I would suggest skip it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5355 wrote:

I bought the lathe, all details, pictures and price are in my other
post about it, scary stuff

I'm looking forwards to threads on you getting it going if it is practical. Hope you got
one you can save from the melters.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:44:51 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

thats a Chipmaster, one of the finest lathes IMHO ever made.

I own one..a 13x36. Hardened ways...that someone used a tool post
grinder on without covering the ways...cuts a .003 taper per the 8
inches closest to the headstock.

The guy I loaned it to, is using it for pumping unit bushings..works
just fine for his application.

Id check the lathe for operation, making sure everything is working
normally (if no power feed, pull the end cover on the headstock, and
there is a small (16 penny nail diameter) shear pin under the knurled
knob on the primary shaft)

That surface rust may or may not have effected anything. Id bet it
hasnt harmed it a bit, except cosmetically.

Now what the previous wear and tear did to the machine...only good
testing will tell.

It looks to be complete, with the proper steady and follower rests,
the proper L00 spanner and tooling.

The data lable in the knee panel..on the door that opens to the
coolant tank underneith, has the size of the machine printed on it, if
you clean off the spooge.

Im going to say its likely to be like mine..a 13x36

Id not turn it down because of its looks at all.

They are simple to operate, rugged, convient to run

gunner

I know something about massive lathe rebuilds, as I did one b
hand on a 15" Sheldon. It was worth it, as it is now a FINE
toolroom lathe, but it took something like 22 months! (It was
nice aerobic exercise, though.)

Jon

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

thats a Chipmaster, one of the finest lathes IMHO ever made.

Correction...Master, Mk 1 1/2

[...]

DIY Darwin Award candidate Dave Baker UK diy 10 March 28th 08 10:28 PM
Old lathe restoration [email protected] Woodworking 25 August 8th 06 06:25 PM
A good lathe? Don Woodturning 10 March 24th 05 04:25 AM
Unisaw restoration project: good idea or money pit? Heath Roberts Woodworking 21 December 3rd 03 11:57 PM