Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Chip Shield?

Maybe some has already worked this out - I have my lathe and mill in
the same shop I do my electronic stuff, and, strangely enough, metal
chips are not a good thing re equipment. Running the lathe at its
slowest speed keeps them controllable, ie they don't fly across the
room, but slow speed has its limitations. (And even with slow speed
and meticulous cleanup, its only a matter of time before Mr Murphy
visits)

So, has anyone devised a simple, cheap, drop down chipguard that will
prevent this - its a 9 by 20 lathe, possibly hingeing something off
the back chip guard would do it. Home made preferably...

Andrew VK3BFA.

(My apologies to the group - no OT political rants this time...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Maybe some has already worked this out - I have my lathe and mill in
the same shop I do my electronic stuff, and, strangely enough, metal
chips are not a good thing re equipment. Running the lathe at its
slowest speed keeps them controllable, ie they don't fly across the
room, but slow speed has its limitations. (And even with slow speed
and meticulous cleanup, its only a matter of time before Mr Murphy
visits)

So, has anyone devised a simple, cheap, drop down chipguard that will
prevent this - its a 9 by 20 lathe, possibly hingeing something off
the back chip guard would do it. Home made preferably...

Andrew VK3BFA.

(My apologies to the group - no OT political rants this time...)

Maybe someone has a solution, but I doubt if you can really shield the
output from a manual lathe. My worse problem has been with my two grinders
and my woodworking equipment. After years of fooling with a plastic
shower-curtain arrangement around one of the grinders, and finally giving
up, I've just settled on cloth covers for my 'scope, signal generator, etc.
I never use them when I'm using the chip- and swarf-making machines, anyway.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ENCO has a chip guard that is intended for mills - it was on sale for some
really cheap price a few months back - it has a magnetic base and an
articulated arm, and a polycarobonate window with a rubber wiper on the
base - I removed the magnet and attached the whole thing to a piece of steel
bolted to the headstock of my lahte and it worked pretty well - I now have
one of those semicircular things the "real" lathes have (pulled it out of
the trash at a machine dealer) which is nice - looks like you could make one
of those out of an old 5 gal water bottle, or heat/bend some Lexan - the
lexan will be more durable

wrote in message
Maybe some has already worked this out - I have my lathe and mill in
the same shop I do my electronic stuff, and, strangely enough, metal
chips are not a good thing re equipment. Running the lathe at its
slowest speed keeps them controllable, ie they don't fly across the
room, but slow speed has its limitations. (And even with slow speed
and meticulous cleanup, its only a matter of time before Mr Murphy
visits)

So, has anyone devised a simple, cheap, drop down chipguard that will
prevent this - its a 9 by 20 lathe, possibly hingeing something off
the back chip guard would do it. Home made preferably...

Andrew VK3BFA.

(My apologies to the group - no OT political rants this time...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a nice homemade one:
http://bedair.org/9xshield/shield.html
This guy has a some pretty neat projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 3:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Ed - point taken, in a "normal" workshop, no worries - but mine is
full of "junque" with no covers etc etc....vintage stuff and "oneday"
projects, as well as customer stuff with the covers off waiting
parts...the test gear is pretty well shielded anyway by its covers
(and its stacked) - but theres always the niggling doubt about WHERE
the chips are going...

And I have my grinder set up in the garage, that would be REALLY
pushing it to run one inside - but we don't have below zero winters,
perhaps you do.

A reference to Steve Bedairs website looks good (and realizable)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 10:07 pm, "Charles Rowe" wrote:
Here's a nice homemade one:http://bedair.org/9xshield/shield.html
This guy has a some pretty neat projects.

Thanks Charles - looks good. Will have a go at it.

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 16, 10:07 pm, "Charles Rowe" wrote:
Here's a nice homemade one:http://bedair.org/9xshield/shield.html
This guy has a some pretty neat projects.

Thanks Charles - looks good. Will have a go at it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

I'd go for polycarbonate over acrylic. The polycarb wont shatter at all.
Bunnings have the polycarb.

I ended up splitting my workshop in two with a partition wall to stop this
problem, the rooms are too small but just useable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

Good luck with it, Andrew. If there's room to get your hands in to work, and
it really stops the chips and flakes, maybe that will do it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Maybe some has already worked this out - I have my lathe and mill in
the same shop I do my electronic stuff, and, strangely enough, metal
chips are not a good thing re equipment. Running the lathe at its
slowest speed keeps them controllable, ie they don't fly across the
room, but slow speed has its limitations. (And even with slow speed
and meticulous cleanup, its only a matter of time before Mr Murphy
visits)

So, has anyone devised a simple, cheap, drop down chipguard that will
prevent this - its a 9 by 20 lathe, possibly hingeing something off
the back chip guard would do it. Home made preferably...

I broke down and bought one of the lathe gaurds like these

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindu...1950&fsid=1950

don't you just love people that make url's like this ... to me this
says " Please do not refer anyone to our web site"

try this

http://tinyurl.com/6da3nt

It at least keeps some of the chips onder control. Not by any means
perfect.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Maybe some has already worked this out - I have my lathe and mill in
the same shop I do my electronic stuff, and, strangely enough, metal
chips are not a good thing re equipment. Running the lathe at its
slowest speed keeps them controllable, ie they don't fly across the
room, but slow speed has its limitations. (And even with slow speed
and meticulous cleanup, its only a matter of time before Mr Murphy
visits)

So, has anyone devised a simple, cheap, drop down chipguard that will
prevent this - its a 9 by 20 lathe, possibly hingeing something off
the back chip guard would do it. Home made preferably...

I broke down and bought one of the lathe gaurds like these

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindu...11555&itemcoun
t=0&loggedin=false&newbanner=true&jlpass=1946&sto reid=1038424&pagenumber=1950&f
sid=1950

don't you just love people that make url's like this ... to me this
says " Please do not refer anyone to our web site"

try this

http://tinyurl.com/6da3nt

It at least keeps some of the chips onder control. Not by any means
perfect.

I have a flat clear plate lathe guard that is on a Loc-Line articulated
hose. It works OK, but when you really need it is when you are cutting
SS at a good clip and the chips are coming off smoking. Given that all
of the important controls for the carriage & crossfeed are on the front
of the carriage, this menas that the hot chips bounce off the shield &
land on your hands! I haven't crashed my lathe yet by having to dump hot
chips off my hands just when I need to shut off the feed, but I can see
it happening.

As long as the radius is small enough to avoid extending past the bed in
front (which could be tricky), a curve one might work better than my flat
one. I don't want to wear gloves for safety reasons, but I haven't come
up with a fix for this issue yet.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 6:42*pm, (Doug White) wrote:
As long as the radius is small enough to avoid extending past the bed in
front (which could be tricky), a curve one might work better than my flat
one. *I don't want to wear gloves for safety reasons, but I haven't come
up with a fix for this issue yet.

Doug White

The shield doesn't have to be curved. Three flat pieces joined by bent
aluminum angles would stop chips just as well and be much easier to
custom-fit or change after some use.