Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default install torque converter

The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the new
unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to drop
in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

We've done this many times before without trouble.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...
The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the
new unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to
drop in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

Sometimes it helps to stand the transmission on its tailshaft and drop the
converter in, a short length of chain between two of the drive studs makes a
handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sometimes it helps to stand the transmission on its tailshaft and drop the
converter in, a short length of chain between two of the drive studs makes
a handle.

We had the unit standing on end. The handle is a good idea. We'll try that.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the new
unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to drop
in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

IRRC, two splines and a bisecting notch for the oil pump. Look deep to make sure you are
picking up the oil pump.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...
The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the old
one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the new unit
to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to drop in
after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

We've done this many times before without trouble.

Karl

You're such a good Dad! Your kids had better appreciate you...and pick out a
GOOD nursing home when the time comes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You're such a good Dad! Your kids had better appreciate you...and pick
out a
GOOD nursing home when the time comes.

Randy H. came to our township board with a developer's plan for a new
Alzheimer's home in our area a while back... I told him I'd only support the
plan if I could reserve the corner room for the future. So, I'm all set.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...
The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the
new unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to
drop in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

We've done this many times before without trouble.

Karl

Sometimes its because the parts are not aligned parallel and you have to
wobble the converter as you rotate it. Also sometimes the splines will
catch enough to rotate when not in mesh and you have to back the converter
out a bit and then rotate slightly. If there are replacement parts there is
always the posssibility of a non-matching part.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:40:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

You're such a good Dad! Your kids had better appreciate you...and pick
out a
GOOD nursing home when the time comes.

Randy H. came to our township board with a developer's plan for a new
Alzheimer's home in our area a while back... I told him I'd only support the
plan if I could reserve the corner room for the future. So, I'm all set.

Yabbut...how would you _know_?

Meanwhile, back at the topic...

Although I took A/T class at UTI, I didn't work on them when I was at
the Ford dealership and was out of the automotive field in '86.

Did you try rotating the output shaft or running the selector lever
through its range while trying the converter?

--
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of
leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 5:05 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the new
unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to drop
in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

We've done this many times before without trouble.

Karl

Karl

I had the same problem once and solved the problem by asking my most
critical neighbor over to help. It dropped right on as soon as Frank
touch it. He looked at me as the most pitiable of creatures.

I had wiggled, twisted, pushed for an hour or more and thought there
was some secret

Carl Boyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had the same problem once and solved the problem by asking my most
critical neighbor over to help. It dropped right on as soon as Frank
touch it. He looked at me as the most pitiable of creatures.

I had wiggled, twisted, pushed for an hour or more and thought there
was some secret

Can Frank come over to my place? I tried again today. No joy. Starting to
**** me off. "The Kid" doesn't come back till Friday night so I got a few
days.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
The tranny went out on the kid's daily driver, a 1988 Mustang. We got the
old one out. For the life of us we can't get the torque converter on the new
unit to drop in place. We get the flat and the first set of splines to drop
in after much fiddling. No can do on the last one. Any tricks here?

We've done this many times before without trouble.

Karl

Karl

I had the same problem once and solved the problem by asking my most
critical neighbor over to help. It dropped right on as soon as Frank
touch it. He looked at me as the most pitiable of creatures.

I had wiggled, twisted, pushed for an hour or more and thought there
was some secret

Carl Boyd

Personally, I love fixes that seem simple in hindsight. I might feel
momentarily stupid, but mostly I feel relieved it wasn't a real bear
of a problem, plus it's fixed.

Pete Keillor

Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 08:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 11:51 PM
All Torque? The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 August 2nd 07 12:14 AM
npt torque specs habbi Metalworking 2 November 21st 05 10:17 PM
Torque Nirvana Woodturning 17 October 13th 05 03:42 AM