Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Powdercoating of vises

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Suitable is in the eye of the beholder!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

Grab a powder coating kit from HF or Eastwood and play with it?
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Suitable, a little extreme, perhaps, but it's your money...if powder coat is
what floats your boat, anchors aweigh.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29659 wrote:

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

I wouldn't, Iggy. Powdercoating is flammable and the fumes are toxic.

I've heard rumors of some folks using their bench vise and torch to
to heat bend steel. Gasses liberated from burning powdercoat can mess
up your olfactory glands for *months*. I know that from personal,
first hand experience.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It would work very well and it is less expensive than paint. I did the bench
and chip tray on my 13x40 lathe 5 years ago and it is severely abused with
sharp, hot chips and all kinds of solvents and oils. It is still perfect.
Steve

"Ignoramus29659" wrote in message
news
Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:27:06 -0500, Ignoramus29659
wrote:

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

sure...but WHY?????

Its a tool that gets beat on, bashed on, heavy stuff get put on and in
it, it gets toasted with a torch and so forth.

If you were doing a layout for RCM shop of the month,...and I had a
vote..Id downgrade anyone who powdercoated a vise, a hammer, etc etc

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 4:58*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Gunner,
Its a tool that gets beat on, bashed on, heavy stuff get put on and in
it, it gets toasted with a torch and so forth.
Gunner

To me tools that show honest wear suggest an experienced craftsman,
ones with a perfect finish imply a beginner, a tool museum, or someone
making delicate parts for a clean room.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:58:01 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Gunner,
Cuz it's a hobby place not a real workshop................. of course!
Steve

One that is only looked at and never used?

in a year he will be cursing the ugly slug of **** with all the
chipped powder coat.

if it had been paint..you simply get out the rattle can and give her
another lick.

shrug

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and
sandblasting of course?

sure...but WHY?????

Its a tool that gets beat on, bashed on, heavy stuff get put on and in
it, it gets toasted with a torch and so forth.

If you were doing a layout for RCM shop of the month,...and I had a
vote..Id downgrade anyone who powdercoated a vise, a hammer, etc etc

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
mariposa rand mair theal

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:35:20 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

Gunner,
Cuz it's a hobby place not a real workshop................. of course!
Steve

One that is only looked at and never used?

in a year he will be cursing the ugly slug of **** with all the
chipped powder coat.

Could also be that he's gong to be practicing powder coating, so
he can do the "touch-ups" himself.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner,
Cuz it's a hobby place not a real workshop................. of course!
Steve

One that is only looked at and never used?

in a year he will be cursing the ugly slug of **** with all the
chipped powder coat.

Could also be that he's gong to be practicing powder coating, so
he can do the "touch-ups" himself.

Cost less than the non-powdercoated, and who cares? Not like what it
looks like matters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Joe Pfeiffer
wrote on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:39:29 -0600 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

wrote:

Gunner,
Cuz it's a hobby place not a real workshop................. of course!
Steve

One that is only looked at and never used?

in a year he will be cursing the ugly slug of **** with all the
chipped powder coat.

Could also be that he's gong to be practicing powder coating, so
he can do the "touch-ups" himself.

Cost less than the non-powdercoated, and who cares? Not like what it
looks like matters.

Not to you., maybe. But if he wants to paint it pea green and tie
a pale blue ribbon around it - well, it is his money, and he is the
one who has to look at it.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Powder coat some vices?

Ok... hey really only drinks on days that end in Y.

Or how about.

His drug addiction isn't so bad. When he gets totally wasted he quits
stealing from his neighbors for a while.

Oh wait you said powder coat not sugar coat. My bad.

Vises Ignoramus28622 Metalworking 23 December 15th 07 08:16 PM
woodworking vises Joseph Handy Woodworking 8 December 21st 06 02:11 PM
Vises For Bandsaws Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 2 April 1st 06 07:32 PM
WOODEN VISES J T Woodworking 0 January 6th 06 02:02 AM
Powdercoating panel seaming idea. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 18 July 21st 04 03:10 PM