DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT question on laser diodes / visibility in sunlight (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/252956-ot-question-laser-diodes-visibility-sunlight.html)

Mark F June 12th 08 04:31 PM

OT question on laser diodes / visibility in sunlight

Being a lousy golfer, thought I'd put a laser on my putter,
maybe a line type, for aiming and more importantly, straightness..
The 4 milliwatt red ones don't show up, how are the higher power
ones, green ones etc., anyone tried? /thanks / mark the duffer

Todd Rich June 12th 08 04:40 PM

Mark F wrote:
Being a lousy golfer, thought I'd put a laser on my putter,
maybe a line type, for aiming and more importantly, straightness..
The 4 milliwatt red ones don't show up, how are the higher power
ones, green ones etc., anyone tried? /thanks / mark the duffer

The green ones are easier to see the path of the laser, and the dot is
brigher, but I don't think you'll be able to see the path unless you golf
in heavy overcast or night. If you just need to see the dot, you should
do ok with a green one. 15mw should do.

[email protected] June 12th 08 05:19 PM

On Jun 12, 11:31 am, Mark F wrote:
Being a lousy golfer, thought I'd put a laser on my putter,
maybe a line type, for aiming and more importantly, straightness..
The 4 milliwatt red ones don't show up, how are the higher power
ones, green ones etc., anyone tried? /thanks / mark the duffer

You could try using the red-laser-visibility-enhancing goggles they
sell with/for laser levels and such.
(no joke- they do make 'em)

Or, you could take the write head out of an 8x or better DVD burner
and put a collimater on it.
Its a kick-ass red LED laser, but it will set the grass on fire (not
kidding again!) and will blind people in the beam instantly.

Dave

Mark F June 12th 08 05:43 PM

wrote:
On Jun 12, 11:31 am, Mark F wrote:
Being a lousy golfer, thought I'd put a laser on my putter,
maybe a line type, for aiming and more importantly, straightness..
The 4 milliwatt red ones don't show up, how are the higher power
ones, green ones etc., anyone tried? /thanks / mark the duffer

You could try using the red-laser-visibility-enhancing goggles they
sell with/for laser levels and such.
(no joke- they do make 'em)

Or, you could take the write head out of an 8x or better DVD burner
and put a collimater on it.
Its a kick-ass red LED laser, but it will set the grass on fire (not
kidding again!) and will blind people in the beam instantly.

Dave

Hmmm. Prob'ly some of the guys have built-in goggles, aka
cataracts to protect their retinas grin /mark

David Billington June 12th 08 06:27 PM

Todd Rich wrote:
Mark F wrote:

Being a lousy golfer, thought I'd put a laser on my putter,
maybe a line type, for aiming and more importantly, straightness..
The 4 milliwatt red ones don't show up, how are the higher power
ones, green ones etc., anyone tried? /thanks / mark the duffer

The green ones are easier to see the path of the laser, and the dot is
brigher, but I don't think you'll be able to see the path unless you golf
in heavy overcast or night. If you just need to see the dot, you should
do ok with a green one. 15mw should do.

Not sure what shade of green the green laser diodes are but how well
would green show up on the green?.

Todd Rich June 12th 08 06:45 PM

OT question on laser diodes / visibility in sunlight

David Billington wrote:
(snip)
Not sure what shade of green the green laser diodes are but how well
would green show up on the green?.

532nm. And if it is dark enough to show the path, it will be dark enough
the color of the grass won't really matter.

cavelamb himself[_4_] June 12th 08 07:49 PM

OT question on laser diodes / visibility in sunlight

Todd Rich wrote:

David Billington wrote:
(snip)

Not sure what shade of green the green laser diodes are but how well
would green show up on the green?.

532nm. And if it is dark enough to show the path, it will be dark enough
the color of the grass won't really matter.

Run the power up about 40 watts and "scribe" a line?