Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need tips on building a brush hog

I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an
ATV. It would be modelled after the Swisher Trail Cutter, which has a
single blade/rotor, 44" cutting width, and 14.5 HP engine. According
to Swisher's parts diagram, the engine has a 4" pulley and the blade
driver has a 10" pulley (give or take a fraction).

I'm looking for a used 15 - 18 HP engine for my home built machine.
They pop up on craigslist often enough. I'll buy Swisher's blades.

One area I'm not sure how to construct is the blade drive shaft, hub,
bearings, and pully assembly. I'm thinking of using a 1 inch keyed
shaft with two flange-mounted bearings, one above and one below the
deck.

So one question is: Does a 1 inch drive shaft seem strong enough?

I would also appreciate a tip on where to get a hub that will attach
the blade to the shaft, or some other means of doing that. I am not a
machinist, don't have a mill, so I can't fabricate my own hub. I do
have a drill press, angle grinder, welder.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 12, 10:38 am, wrote:
[...]

Swisher probably sells the hub assem. as a replaceable item.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thee pop up at farm sales around here from time to time. Much cheaper
and faster to buy then build on something like this. You will not be
able to buy the steel for what they go for.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 12, 10:03*am, wrote:
On Jun 12, 10:38 am, wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

I looked into it. The Swisher parts are VERY expensive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 12, 10:35*am, wrote:
Thee pop up at farm sales around here from time to time. *Much cheaper
and faster to buy then build on something like this. *You will not be
able to buy the steel for what they go for.

Bob

They sell new for about $1500. I'm hoping to build for about half
that. I have considered the price of steel.
I haven't been able to locate a used one. Maybe I'm not looking hard
enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1" shaft seems a bit wimply when throwing around a 44" blade in rough
terrain. If it is not heat treated, I'd be looking at something bigger
say 1-1/4" What is the hub/shaft size on the Swisher? The hole in the
blade is a good place to start.

The farm stores sell the weld together assemblies that let you pick a
shaft diameter and sprocket and pulley size, weld it up. Should be able
to make a blade holder for minimal $$

If you are looking for a bearing hub assembly, take a look at any front
wheel drive vehicle. The hub and bearings are heavy duty, fully sealed
bearings, clear mounting hole through the middle. You might just get a
wrecking yard unit with the half shaft still installed. Use the big nut
to mount the blade, weld your pulley to the back half of the half shaft
outer. I probably have one off an S-10 Blazer sitting out in the garage
somewhere to take some measurements off of but other than that, no
thoughts of which brand to use.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Around here, "Central Tractor", or its equivalent, a generic farm/equipment
supplier would have that. The Quill and bearings and shaft set might be
generically available for your Swisher-knockoff.

Have you looked at Harbor Freight or Northern?

Flash

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:45:03 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

1" shaft seems a bit wimply when throwing around a 44" blade in rough
terrain. If it is not heat treated, I'd be looking at something bigger
say 1-1/4" What is the hub/shaft size on the Swisher? The hole in the
blade is a good place to start.

Id go at least 2-3" actually