Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Murphy was an Optimist.. Blew the 5914 Varidrive again...sigh

This time the hydraulic ram shaft crystilized where the roll pin holds it
onto the disk, go figure....

Ya know I'd rather finish the wheel set I was working on than fix the damn
lathe...

'Least it's an easy fix....

Fortunatly I wasn't taking a cut, motor was running but clutch was
disengaged I was making a 'check measurment' had just setup the second pilot
truck wheel...

--.- Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Dave August" wrote:

This time the hydraulic ram shaft crystilized where the roll pin holds it
onto the disk, go figure....

Meaning something just cracked and fell off?

I'm not visualizing what happened.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Meaning something cracked and fell off.

Ya know that long 3/8 rod with the nut that the hydraulic sytsem pulls
against to squueeze the bottom cones together?
There is a disk at it's the far end burried in the cones, the one that's
held in place by the snap ring.

Well there is a roll pin that hold the disk on 3/8 rod. The 3/8 rod
crystilized where the roll pin goes through.

What "Fell Off" is the hydraulic "box" and outter cone....

I'm about 1/2 way through the fix... 6 inch grade 5 bolt... leave head on
bolt.. silver brase together...

Stand by..

--.- Dave

This time the hydraulic ram shaft crystilized where the roll pin holds it
onto the disk, go figure....

Meaning something just cracked and fell off?

I'm not visualizing what happened.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Dave August" wrote:

Meaning something cracked and fell off.

Ya know that long 3/8 rod with the nut that the hydraulic system pulls
against to squeeze the bottom cones together?
There is a disk at its far end buried in the cones, the one that's
held in place by the snap ring.

Ah. I've had this part out, when I was fixing the wobbling lower pulley
assembly. The only problem I had was that the 3/8-24 thread was a bit
battered and the cone nut would creep, but replacement of the cone nut
solved that. Happily, the local hardware store carried the right cone
nuts.

Well there is a roll pin that hold the disk on 3/8 rod. The 3/8 rod
crystalized where the roll pin goes through.

The 3/8" rod, not the roll pin. I would not have thought the steel was
fancy enough to do any such thing as crystalize.

I bet what you are seeing is a fatigue crack -- the broken surfaces are
rough and look like crystals.

What "Fell Off" is the hydraulic "box" and outer cone....

I'm about 1/2 way through the fix... 6 inch grade 5 bolt... leave head on
bolt.. silver braze together...

That should work, although the bolt won't be grade 5 when it cools.

Beware fumes from the plating boiling off during brazing.

Joe Gwinn

Stand by..

--.- Dave

This time the hydraulic ram shaft crystilized where the roll pin holds it
onto the disk, go figure....

Meaning something just cracked and fell off?

I'm not visualizing what happened.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep the 3/8 rod is fatigue cracked.

Trust me Joe I've done enough brasing/welding to know to dodge the fumes,
but thanks for the warning :-) and yes it ain't gonna be grade 5 any more
but thats all I could get in 6 inch 3/8-24..

so... 3 hours and a half pint of hydrulic oil (most of which is on my
hands) and I'm back in business... just in time for dinner...

I'll get to the last wheel (which is still set up) tomorrow.

This varidrive is starting to feel like the M1 I "high ported" around the
grinder... I think I could dissassemble and re-assemble it blindfolded..

--.- Dave

[...]

Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 10 January 20th 08 06:59 PM
Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble - 1st update Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 4 January 20th 08 04:14 PM
*sigh* L. Credit Where Due T. Home Repair 0 June 2nd 07 07:11 PM
sigh... RoyJ Metalworking 16 February 26th 05 04:20 AM
Sigh John Rumm UK diy 46 December 14th 04 08:09 PM