Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consensus on CAD?

On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:16:13 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 May 2008 05:41:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Winston quickly quoth:

El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

How about a program which is priced -less- than a grand (or $995)?

Get a wife who teaches school, or a kid who is *in* school. It will save you
a major bundle on software. It's almost worth having the kid. g

If you take courses leading to a certificate (or degree) you can buy
the edumacational edition of Solidworks for only about a hundred
ever-so-thin US pesos. It watermarks the 2D drawings, there's some
limits on import/export, IIRC, and I think it's one edition back, but
other than that it's pretty much full-featured SW almost for free.
Don't expect to be able to use the models with the full version
without issues, I think that educational edition components
'contaminate' the parts and assemblies so that the whole thing is
'educational' mode.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker? Oh, and what is it, or what are the best choices out
there? Another oh. I know jack about CAD. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

El Cazador wrote:
Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker? Oh, and what is it, or what are the best choices out
there? Another oh. I know jack about CAD. :-)

I'm a big fan of Alibre. Design Xpress
is free.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

--Winston

??? really??? does it have any analytic type capabilities - for example
create a couple of parts and then connect them together and see motion? it
looks like, from a quick scan of hte web site, that it specializes in
beautiful renderings not articulated wireframes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:59:17 -0700 (PDT), El Cazador
wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker? Oh, and what is it, or what are the best choices out
there? Another oh. I know jack about CAD. :-)

See the comments in yesterday's thread "Basic 3D & CAD programs." I
think Alibre is probably better suited than Rhino to the stuff most
folks here work on, but that may not apply to you.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

How about a program which is priced -less- than a grand (or $995)?

--
I wish the Department of Homeland Security knew what
ol' Unca Doug did, instinctively, so many years ago:

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
-- General Douglas MacArthur

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

El Cazador wrote:

[...]

I just got my V.4 upgrade of Rhino for $95. g I don't know what I'd pay if
this was an original purchase, since I was one of the original 50 or so beta
testers and have had it ever since. Michael Gibson used to answer the phone
when I called in with questions or suggestions.

Maybe I could rent out my wife or son for software purchasing
purposes...hmm...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

How about a program which is priced -less- than a grand (or $995)?

Howzabout $773 in Portland, Larry?
http://www.3dtechnics.com/_software.phtml#RHINO

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:22:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Winston quickly quoth:

El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

How about a program which is priced -less- than a grand (or $995)?

Howzabout $773 in Portland, Larry?
http://www.3dtechnics.com/_software.phtml#RHINO

I've been looking for some construction cad progs lately [UDA
Construction Suite, Chief Architect, SoftPlan ($$$$, Eek!) and
probably settling on a v10 Punch! as3000 for small remodels], but for
my taste and budget, I like Alibre for $773 less than Rhino, thanks. I
believed you missed the shining facetiousity factor of my post.

Carry on.

--
I wish the Department of Homeland Security knew what
ol' Unca Doug did, instinctively, so many years ago:

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
-- General Douglas MacArthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I believed you missed the shining facetiousity factor of my post.

So they really *did* drop 'gullible' from the dictionary, then?

:0)

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks. Not 30 seconds after posting this did I scroll down about
three inches to see the previous post on the same subject.
And I should have added that I have a Mac.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 04:03:57 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Winston quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I believed you missed the shining facetiousity factor of my post.

So they really *did* drop 'gullible' from the dictionary, then?
:0)

Yuppers. Go look it up.

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous