Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do you wear Shorts while Working?

You might turn the neighbors into raving aroused madmen.

Saturday, May 17, 2008
Netherlands: Complaints about construction workers dress
The heads of a contractor firm working on a large renovation project
in Almere were asked last week if the construction workers could
change their short pants into something with longer legs. The Muslim
neighbors had complained about the workers wearing such bare clothing.

In order not to succumb in the tropical heat of the past weeks, the
men had exchanged their work overalls for short pants and a t-shirt.
Construction workers Robin Willemsen says that they all walk around
with short pants. Together with his colleagues he's renovating the
outside of 750 residences in Almere.

Willemsen says that the contractor came to tell them that Muslim
neighbors had complained that their clothing were too bare and too
short. The comment was duly noted, but Willemsen says that they don't
intend to dress in overalls in such sweltering heat.

The complaints were new for Richard Hekert of construction firm
Mateboer from Kampen, and he says there were agreements about correct
clothing, and that includes short pants and t-shirts too, but if
residents think it's a serious nuisance, they'll see how they can
solve it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Saturday, May 17, 2008
[...]

I think it's high time that it be made perfectly clear to Muslims who have
moved into western nations that they are required to adapt and adjust their
ways to fit in with the customs and culture of their newly adopted homes. It
is not up to the majorities in these countries to change their ways because
Muslims don't like the way things are done in their new countries. If
Muslims can't change they should go back to the countries where they came
from. The governments of these western nations need to make the Muslims
understand this reality and so far they have not done so and have instead
bent over backwards to accommodate them. This needs to stop. I would
particularly recommend this to the US as it would stop a lot of trouble
before it happens.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

sparky wrote in news:83cc8e88-4810-4e01-8eb5-
:

You might turn the neighbors into raving aroused madmen.

If a pair of short trousers irritates the ragheads, just think about what
_these_ would do to them!

http://www.utilikilts.com

I don't know but I liked that commercial.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ries wrote:

If the anti-shorts attitude is muslim then they seem to already have
infiltrated OSHA, as well as virtually every city and state building
department, and most major construction companies- because on
virtually every major construction site I have worked on, the
christian, captialist running dogs tell me exactly the same thing- NO
SHORTS!

Our production employees running cnc's can wear shorts. The maintenance
staff can not. But then the office staff prances around the shop w/o steel
toe shoes while all the plant not on the air conditioned side of the wall
must.

The office spaces must be quiet so people can think while inspectors on the
plant floor are sitting next to noisy test cells and ghetto blasters run
wild emitting way over the 85db where mandidory hearing conservation
programs must be enacted. Turning down the fcuking boxes seems to be the
one thing management runs away from.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the anti-shorts attitude is muslim then they seem to already have
infiltrated OSHA, as well as virtually every city and state building
department, and most major construction companies- because on
virtually every major construction site I have worked on, the
christian, captialist running dogs tell me exactly the same thing- NO
SHORTS!

Right after they tell me to wear a hardhat, an orange vest, safety
glasses, and steel toed boots.
I just was on a jobsite in Phoenix, working on the new light rail
there, and they would no sooner have let me wear shorts than an Osama
Bin Laden T Shirt.
And it was 95.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Saturday, May 17, 2008
[...]

I agree, but I haven't heard of any similar instances in metro NY, which has
quite a few Muslims. The Hasidim definitely demand and get special
treatment, however.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:10:56 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Eregon wrote:

sparky wrote in news:83cc8e88-4810-4e01-8eb5-
:

You might turn the neighbors into raving aroused madmen.

If a pair of short trousers irritates the ragheads, just think about what
_these_ would do to them!

http://www.utilikilts.com

Allow them even quicker access to servicing their camels?

I don't know but I liked that commercial.

No comment, Wes.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Ries
wrote:

If the anti-shorts attitude is muslim then they seem to already have
infiltrated OSHA, as well as virtually every city and state building
department, and most major construction companies- because on
virtually every major construction site I have worked on, the
christian, captialist running dogs tell me exactly the same thing- NO
SHORTS!

Right after they tell me to wear a hardhat, an orange vest, safety
glasses, and steel toed boots.
I just was on a jobsite in Phoenix, working on the new light rail
there, and they would no sooner have let me wear shorts than an Osama
Bin Laden T Shirt.
And it was 95.

A job I worked at some 50 years ago (field survey work) permitted
shorts. The guys even got to have a swim in any convenient body of
water, especially during heat waves; then the traveling public began
to complain about these guys goofing off during working hours,
swimming in jockey shorts or less.
Word soon came down banning shorts and no more cooling off in the
pond. A few idiots spoiled a good thing.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:
I think it's high time that it be made perfectly clear to Muslims who have
moved into western nations that they are required to adapt and adjust their
ways to fit in with the customs and culture of their newly adopted homes. It
is not up to the majorities in these countries to change their ways because
Muslims don't like the way things are done in their new countries. If
Muslims can't change they should go back to the countries where they came
from. The governments of these western nations need to make the Muslims
understand this reality and so far they have not done so and have instead
bent over backwards to accommodate them. This needs to stop. I would
particularly recommend this to the US as it would stop a lot of trouble
before it happens.

Hawke

I wonder if you would also include the imigrants from south of the
Rio Grande and west of the Pacific???
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote:
A job I worked at some 50 years ago (field survey work) permitted
shorts. The guys even got to have a swim in any convenient body of
water, especially during heat waves; then the traveling public began
to complain about these guys goofing off during working hours,
swimming in jockey shorts or less.
Word soon came down banning shorts and no more cooling off in the
pond. A few idiots spoiled a good thing.

It's not the idiots, it's those who either over-react or just flat out take
advantage of the idiots to force their own will on others. Those are the
real idiots. .

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Saturday, May 17, 2008
[...]

Tell the ragheads to pount sand up their asses, or move back to the
12th century...er...the Middle East.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If the anti-shorts attitude is muslim then they seem to already have
infiltrated OSHA, as well as virtually every city and state building
department, and most major construction companies- because on
virtually every major construction site I have worked on, the
christian, captialist running dogs tell me exactly the same thing- NO
SHORTS!

Right after they tell me to wear a hardhat, an orange vest, safety
glasses, and steel toed boots.
I just was on a jobsite in Phoenix, working on the new light rail
there, and they would no sooner have let me wear shorts than an Osama
Bin Laden T Shirt.
And it was 95.

Ill be wearing cargo shorts tommorow, along with a pair of desert
combat boots.
And maybe one of my HAAS t-shirts

Gunner, California, 103 today

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:14:48 -0400, Wes wrote:

Ries wrote:

[...]

Ranchereo music or "American" music? (Rap included)

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ries wrote:

[...]

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

That's one to remember! I've used a discreet wire near the radio &
connecting the other end to the signal generator, select square wave o/p,
crank the volts up and adjust the frequency for the desired result.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ries wrote:

[...]

Nicely done.

Way back in my youth when I was a lowly bench
tech, we had an engineer that gave us fits.
An arrogant, tool-stealing asshole. We eventually
moved to a new facility and I was assigned to
install the new pa system. I put a speaker
directly over his desk and tapped it to be about
4x louder than all the others...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:35:51 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Nicely done.

Way back in my youth when I was a lowly bench
tech, we had an engineer that gave us fits.
An arrogant, tool-stealing asshole. We eventually
moved to a new facility and I was assigned to
install the new pa system. I put a speaker
directly over his desk and tapped it to be about
4x louder than all the others...

Sitting at a stop light today, I noticed that the Honda Civic in front
of me had it's brake lights dimming in sequence with the cyclic bass
emanating from the body panels
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Nicely done.

Way back in my youth when I was a lowly bench
tech, we had an engineer that gave us fits.
An arrogant, tool-stealing asshole. We eventually
moved to a new facility and I was assigned to
install the new pa system. I put a speaker
directly over his desk and tapped it to be about
4x louder than all the others...

You didn't install the optional mister to randomly wet his bench? ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

That's one to remember! I've used a discreet wire near the radio &
connecting the other end to the signal generator, select square wave o/p,
crank the volts up and adjust the frequency for the desired result.

The music source was in another building. The antenna wa outside the
metal roof, and pointed away from me.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Ries wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the film "Mr Roberts" with Henry Fonda and the overhead bit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Sitting at a stop light today, I noticed that the Honda Civic in front
of me had it's brake lights dimming in sequence with the cyclic bass
emanating from the body panels

Not enough Farads.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:08:27 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Sitting at a stop light today, I noticed that the Honda Civic in front
of me had it's brake lights dimming in sequence with the cyclic bass
emanating from the body panels

Not enough Farads.

Wes

Or not enough CC's driving not enough alternator watts and not enough
brain in the nut holding the steering wheel.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

Do thy have a headphone jack? A cable with a stereo plug on one end,
and a plug for the AC line on the other will let ALL the smoke out.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 00:39:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Wes wrote:

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

Do thy have a headphone jack? A cable with a stereo plug on one end,
and a plug for the AC line on the other will let ALL the smoke out.

A 90V B battery might be more portable BEG

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

A 90V B battery might be more portable BEG

I'm old enough to have seen those things in stores.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:46:07 -0400, Wes wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

A 90V B battery might be more portable BEG

I'm old enough to have seen those things in stores.

Wes

I remember taking the 2 volt wet cell A battery to the RR Station
Agent's house to be sent on the next train for recharge. The train
made return trips Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Need I say, we kept
two batteries. IIRCC, B batteries lasted about 6 months, while C
batteries were good for a couple years. There wasn't much recreational
listening - news at breakfast and supper, Proctor and Gamble hour in
the afternoon for mother, Friday night boxing (Gillette) and Hockey
night in Canada with Foster Hewitt (I don't think a game went by that
Grandmother didn't go change into her nightie after the Leafs scored a
goal)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

I remember taking the 2 volt wet cell A battery to the RR Station
Agent's house to be sent on the next train for recharge. The train
made return trips Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Need I say, we kept
two batteries. IIRCC, B batteries lasted about 6 months, while C
batteries were good for a couple years. There wasn't much recreational
listening - news at breakfast and supper, Proctor and Gamble hour in
the afternoon for mother, Friday night boxing (Gillette) and Hockey
night in Canada with Foster Hewitt (I don't think a game went by that
Grandmother didn't go change into her nightie after the Leafs scored a
goal)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Oh, I think you are a bit older than me. How is life in retirement?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:37:37 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

I remember taking the 2 volt wet cell A battery to the RR Station
Agent's house to be sent on the next train for recharge. The train
made return trips Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Need I say, we kept
two batteries. IIRCC, B batteries lasted about 6 months, while C
batteries were good for a couple years. There wasn't much recreational
listening - news at breakfast and supper, Proctor and Gamble hour in
the afternoon for mother, Friday night boxing (Gillette) and Hockey
night in Canada with Foster Hewitt (I don't think a game went by that
Grandmother didn't go change into her nightie after the Leafs scored a
goal)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Oh, I think you are a bit older than me. How is life in retirement?

Wes

After 14 years, I still haven't figured out how I ever found time to
earn a living!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Oh, I think you are a bit older than me. How is life in retirement?

Wes

After 14 years, I still haven't figured out how I ever found time to
earn a living!

Back just before 9/11 the company I worked for failed and was liquidated.
Until my savings ran out, I enjoyed the 8 months off. I don't think I'll
have a problem with retirement when I get there.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 4:06 pm, Wes wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

When they turned up the crappy music on the PA system where I worked
I put a pair of back to back 1N4004 diodes across the 25 V speaker lines
and cause severe distortion all over the production floor. They couldn't
figure out what was wrong, but discovered t still worked OK when the
volume was turned back to where it used to be.

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

When the offender isn't around, poke a small hole in the
paper dome over the speaker coil and squirt a little superglue in
there. Removes all the bass and most of the treble. I've used that to
good effect. Another guy had a radio that made way too much noise, so
I opened it and twisted one of the transistors so the leads shorted.
The twit found it, believe it or not, even though he had no clue about
electronics. I got serious with the next one, smashed it flat in the
hydraulic press. Ran another through the pressure cabinet washer; 180-
degree caustic washes all the music out of a radio. On another, I
tuned it to the classical-music station and superglued the tuning
mechanism to that spot.
These and many other tricks escalated to fantastic levels at one
point, but we were sure having fun. I noticed that production was up
when we had fun, and told the boss I (as shop foreman) was going to
allow it to continue, within reason. He didn't like that. Had no sense
of humor. Production and morale fell off after I left, they told me.
Nobody ever got hurt through those 12 years of playfulness.
I could have written a thick book on all the practical jokes we
played. I can just see OSHA trying to get it pulled off the bookstore
shelves.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:

Sadly I think the ghetto blasters are 8 ohms or I'd be doing it.

Do thy have a headphone jack? A cable with a stereo plug on one end,
and a plug for the AC line on the other will let ALL the smoke out.

A 90V B battery might be more portable BEG

The AC would likely do a lot more damage.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

When the offender isn't around, poke a small hole in the
paper dome over the speaker coil and squirt a little superglue in
there. Removes all the bass and most of the treble. I've used that to
good effect. Another guy had a radio that made way too much noise, so
I opened it and twisted one of the transistors so the leads shorted.
The twit found it, believe it or not, even though he had no clue about
electronics. I got serious with the next one, smashed it flat in the
hydraulic press. Ran another through the pressure cabinet washer; 180-
degree caustic washes all the music out of a radio. On another, I
tuned it to the classical-music station and superglued the tuning
mechanism to that spot.

I had a neighbor who would bum rides. As soon as you started the
engine, he would change the radio to his favorite station. I had a nice
63 Pontiac Catalina convertible with a factory AM radio. He got in one
day and got really ****ed because he could turn the knobs, and the dial
would move, but the station didn't change, and neither did the volume.
When the station identified as a FM country station and he freaked out.
He was yelling, "There's something wrong with the radio!", "There's
something wrong with the radio!" I told him "It sounds ok, to me." He
never asked for another ride.

These and many other tricks escalated to fantastic levels at one
point, but we were sure having fun. I noticed that production was up
when we had fun, and told the boss I (as shop foreman) was going to
allow it to continue, within reason. He didn't like that. Had no sense
of humor.

You need sense, before you can have a sense of humor.

Production and morale fell off after I left, they told me.
Nobody ever got hurt through those 12 years of playfulness.

I could have written a thick book on all the practical jokes we
played. I can just see OSHA trying to get it pulled off the bookstore
shelves.

If the shop is really humid, just pour a little salt on the circuit
board. By the time it quits working, it won't be worth repairing. It
might even give a little light show and lots of distortion as it dies.
;-)