Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to REALLY cut US taxes

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

In misc.survivalism Ed Huntress wrote:

If it takes a 20% rise in gas prices to cause a 0.25% increase in mass
transit ridership, it's going to be a slow process. g

Nevertheless, there are a lot of people trying it out. We'll see how long
they stick with it.

I think that the ratios will change; I doubt that this is a linear
phenomenon.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. If it is linear, gas prices will have to average
$14.68/gallon to produce a 5% conversion of commuters from driving to mass
transit. d8-)

I also doubt that the price elasticity of gasoline is
infinite, except for those who live in a subdivision off of a highway.
Those folks are screwed. They will pay whatever it costs for necessary
driving, or they will will move, or they will increasingly drive
lightweight econoboxes.

I suspect the lightweight cars in most cases. But many of them won't be
econoboxes.

When I was between the ages of 17 to 25, my heaviest car weighed 1850 lb. A
couple of them, like the aluminum-bodied AC Aceca, were far from being
cheap. But I wish I had a couple of them back.

I expect you do as it's most likely worth quite a bit of money if it
still exists. I met a guy recently that had an AC Ace that he and his
brother had beautifully restored. He didn't know what it was worth but
did say that he paid about £35k for the unrestored car.

--
Ed Huntress