DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   My dumb question of the month (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/247899-my-dumb-question-month.html)

SteveB April 29th 08 11:15 AM

My dumb question of the month

I need an hour meter and a low RPM tach for my SA 200 welder. The operating
range for the tach would be 2500 rpm max. I have gotten two rpms so far,
1550 and 2300. The hour meter just has to be reliable, and probably won't
see five hundred hours a month.

I am assuming these would be simple wiring with some crimp terminals.

Are these Napa parts? Are Auto Zone, Checker acceptable substitutes.
Personally, I don't like buying a lot from AZ or Checker except fluids. Is
there a supplier that has these for reasonable prices, perhaps a digital
that would have all in one? Any decent brands without spending a Franklin?

Steve

Pete Snell April 29th 08 01:30 PM

SteveB wrote:
I need an hour meter and a low RPM tach for my SA 200 welder. The operating
range for the tach would be 2500 rpm max. I have gotten two rpms so far,
1550 and 2300. The hour meter just has to be reliable, and probably won't
see five hundred hours a month.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

"That's a very elaborate story, but where have
you REALLY been the last three days?"

Jonah's Wife, sometime BC

Pete C. April 29th 08 02:07 PM

SteveB wrote:

I need an hour meter and a low RPM tach for my SA 200 welder. The operating
range for the tach would be 2500 rpm max. I have gotten two rpms so far,
1550 and 2300. The hour meter just has to be reliable, and probably won't
see five hundred hours a month.

I am assuming these would be simple wiring with some crimp terminals.

Are these Napa parts? Are Auto Zone, Checker acceptable substitutes.
Personally, I don't like buying a lot from AZ or Checker except fluids. Is
there a supplier that has these for reasonable prices, perhaps a digital
that would have all in one? Any decent brands without spending a Franklin?

Steve

A few good options he

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

Unwrap the link as needed of just search for tachometer from the home
page. Stick on LCD tach and hour meter, even a mag pickup version for
diesel or electric stuff.

BillM[_2_] April 29th 08 02:55 PM

My dumb question of the month

"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in
message ...
I need an hour meter and a low RPM tach for my
SA 200 welder. The operating range for the
tach would be 2500 rpm max. I have gotten two
rpms so far, 1550 and 2300. The hour meter
just has to be reliable, and probably won't see
five hundred hours a month.

+1 on the Tinytach. Easy installation--one
ground wire and a sensor wire wrapped
around a plug wire. Be sure you understand how
your engine fires so you can get the correct
model.

Just curious---if you take weekends off 500
hours a month works out to around 25 hours
a day. How do you do that? I've been trying
for years and haven't figured it out yet.

Bill

ED April 29th 08 04:50 PM

My dumb question of the month

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:55:27 GMT, "BillM"
wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in
message ...
I need an hour meter and a low RPM tach for my
SA 200 welder. The operating range for the
tach would be 2500 rpm max. I have gotten two
rpms so far, 1550 and 2300. The hour meter
just has to be reliable, and probably won't see
five hundred hours a month.

+1 on the Tinytach. Easy installation--one
ground wire and a sensor wire wrapped
around a plug wire. Be sure you understand how
your engine fires so you can get the correct
model.

Just curious---if you take weekends off 500
hours a month works out to around 25 hours
a day. How do you do that? I've been trying
for years and haven't figured it out yet.

Bill

They're in dog hours :-) ED

Gunner[_2_] April 30th 08 01:09 PM

My dumb question of the month

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:15:32 -0800, "SteveB"

http://search.ebay.com/search/search... r&category0=

Jim Stewart April 30th 08 07:35 PM

My dumb question of the month

SteveB wrote:
I need an hour meter

Google Hobbs Meter. Not expensive new and
prolly lots of cheap ones on ebay.

William Noble May 1st 08 05:42 AM

My dumb question of the month

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
SteveB wrote:
I need an hour meter

Google Hobbs Meter. Not expensive new and
prolly lots of cheap ones on ebay.

there are a number of elapsed time meters based on different technology -
pretty much any surplus store that handles anything electronic will have a
big pile of them, typically $5 to $10

SteveB May 1st 08 08:48 AM

SteveB wrote:
I need an hour meter

Google Hobbs Meter. Not expensive new and
prolly lots of cheap ones on ebay.

there are a number of elapsed time meters based on different technology -
pretty much any surplus store that handles anything electronic will have a
big pile of them, typically $5 to $10

Thanks. I'm going to the big city tomorrow to get some fenders, lights, a
hub pressed with some new lugs, and a couple of new tires for the old
welder. I'll stop at a couple of places and check. This is a minimal
application, and anything in the $20 range would be fine if it has tach and
hour meter.

Steve