DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Working with tin? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/246613-working-tin.html)

steamer April 22nd 08 05:04 PM

Working with tin?

--Have been making use of that .008" thick "easy solder" tin sheet
that you can get at hobby shops. It's nice and bendy and can be hammered
easily to remove dents, etc. Trouble is it oxidizes and turns fairly awful
mottled colors fairly quickly. Can someone recommend a way to 'fix' the
finish without using paint? I'm using bent pieces of the stuff to connect
bell to foot pieces for an octave of whistles that will be operated in a
fairly hot environment.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're entering
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the moronosphere!"

steamer April 23rd 08 04:29 PM

Working with tin?

--Well it'd be a little complicated considering the application.
Also it might get hot enough to melt the solder!

Don Foreman April 23rd 08 07:34 PM

Working with tin?

On 22 Apr 2008 16:04:00 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Have been making use of that .008" thick "easy solder" tin sheet
that you can get at hobby shops. It's nice and bendy and can be hammered
easily to remove dents, etc. Trouble is it oxidizes and turns fairly awful
mottled colors fairly quickly. Can someone recommend a way to 'fix' the
finish without using paint? I'm using bent pieces of the stuff to connect
bell to foot pieces for an octave of whistles that will be operated in a
fairly hot environment.

Eastwood used to sell a small, rather inexpensive tin-plating kit.
Caswell offers tin and zinc, but larger scale and more $$$.

I wonder if tumbling the parts in crushed corncob or crushed walnut
shell would clean them up. Works great on spent brass cartridge
cases. One adds some polishing compound to the job, which in some
cases (e.g. Lyman TurboBrite) contains a bit of rouge.

I think the HF vibratory tumbler can be run wet with ceramic media.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=vibratory