DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Well written story and a neat toolbox (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/243690-well-written-story-neat-toolbox.html)

axolotl April 12th 08 06:14 PM

Well written story and a neat toolbox

Metal and airplanes-

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/

Kevin Gallimore

[email protected] April 13th 08 11:58 AM

On Apr 13, 3:14 am, axolotl wrote:
Metal and airplanes-

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/

Kevin Gallimore

Thanks Kevin - it is beautifully written, and thats a rare gift, the
ability to express the WHY of a technical concept in a language that
reaches your soul.

And I think it does get to you if you are taught, and learn like that
- the inability to accept the "good enuff" when you know yourself its
crap and you could do it better. And spend days learning, practising,
until it does get "just good enough" - it doesn't matter its going to
be hidden under covers, no one will ever see it - YOU will know if its
good enough.

And if you show it to someone you know and respect for their ability,
and they say "thats pretty good" - well, it doesnt get much better
than that.

I just spent the best part of (probably) 40 hours machining up a
optical chopper, combination of mechanical and electrical assemblies -
way over engineered for the application, but it became a challenge and
a learning experience. But, not good enough to post a picture in the
dropbox, not with the beautiful work thats there.

(I did a very basic sheet metal unit as part of my electronics
training, over 30 years ago. Wish I still had the toolbox I made, got
lost in moves over the years. Still have a small aluminium box with
brazed (horribly) corners.....)

Andrew VK3BFA.