Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shower head repair

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:41:16 -0500, Ignoramus16148
wrote:

I have a shower with a head the size of a dessert plate. It is nice,
however, it is made of two pieces (top and bottom) that were pressed
into one another. It started spreading apart under water pressure and
leak, and for now, I am using a clamp to hold them together, which is
ugly and temporary.

The metal of the head is non-magnetic and heavy, suggesting
stainless. The appearance is that of chrome.

I would like to know if I could just tig them together. (like make 12
or so point welds around the perimeter) Any experiences with this? Any
idea what is the stainless steel used on showers?

Thin metal, as stamped sheetmetal, might be stainless. Heavy metal is
very likely chrome-plated potmetal. (Zinc alloy). If it's quite old
it could be a chrome-plated brass casting, but I'd be quite surprised.

I'd be flat amazed if it were a stainless forging or investment
casting.

Some silicone glue/sealer and three small stainless screws are
probably the best fix. The silicone alone would very probably hold
it.

As others mentioned, an acid soak in vinegar or CRS will remove
calcium deposits -- but be aware that zinc is very susceptable to even
weak acids.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a shower with a head the size of a dessert plate. It is nice,
however, it is made of two pieces (top and bottom) that were pressed
into one another. It started spreading apart under water pressure and
leak, and for now, I am using a clamp to hold them together, which is
ugly and temporary.

The metal of the head is non-magnetic and heavy, suggesting
stainless. The appearance is that of chrome.

I would like to know if I could just tig them together. (like make 12
or so point welds around the perimeter) Any experiences with this? Any
idea what is the stainless steel used on showers?

Thin metal, as stamped sheetmetal, might be stainless. Heavy metal is
very likely chrome-plated potmetal. (Zinc alloy). If it's quite old
it could be a chrome-plated brass casting, but I'd be quite surprised.

There's some new stuff that's brass. I found out in my house in Texas
before I moved to Michigan when one of my young sons decided it'd be a
nifty experiment to SHAVE the black powder coated fixture in the boys'
bathroom. A razor, diligently applied, will remove epoxy powder
coating from brass. I don't remember the brand, Kohler or Moen, but
it was pretty damned expensive to replace.

Pete Keillor
I'd be flat amazed if it were a stainless forging or investment
casting.

Some silicone glue/sealer and three small stainless screws are
probably the best fix. The silicone alone would very probably hold
it.

As others mentioned, an acid soak in vinegar or CRS will remove
calcium deposits -- but be aware that zinc is very susceptable to even
weak acids.

Shower head repair Wes[_2_] Metalworking 2 March 24th 08 01:59 PM
shower head - repair wall mount handle sam Home Repair 1 December 22nd 06 04:00 PM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM
Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 10:42 AM
Where to put 2nd shower head... OJ Home Ownership 5 August 22nd 03 09:38 PM