Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default make own wedding ring

My wife and I got divorced about 15 year ago for industrial reasons.
well we had to get remaired for other reason. I couldn't bring myself
to pay 100 for a wedding ring so I decided to make one my self. I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern. The ring came out great.
Am I a cheap basterd for making my ring? Remember I used 316 stainless
steel, the best grade of stainless steel I could get.
Don
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don" wrote in message
My wife and I got divorced about 15 year ago for industrial reasons.
well we had to get remaired for other reason. I couldn't bring myself
to pay 100 for a wedding ring so I decided to make one my self. I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern. The ring came out great.
Am I a cheap basterd for making my ring? Remember I used 316 stainless
steel, the best grade of stainless steel I could get.
Don

Don, the question is not whether you're cheap or not, but: "why on earth get
remarried?"

--
JR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

I don't think you are a cheap *******. Just don't try making hers.

snip

Unless you're looking for an excuse to get into investment casting :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don" wrote in message
I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern.

Back in my submarine days it was common to turn down rings from large nuts,
usually stainless or monel.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Vaughn Simon"
wrote in
message
Back in my submarine days it was common to
turn down rings from large nuts, usually
stainless or monel.

Vaughn

There ya go Don---------machine one of your nuts
into a wedding ring. Seems kind
of---well----------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don" wrote in message
Remember I used 316 stainless
steel, the best grade of stainless steel I
could get.
Don

Heck, why not? I've got a really nice
(expensive) gold/diamond one
somewhere. Told the bride before the wedding
that the ring came off
after the honeymoon. Welders, machine tools and
jewelry don't mix.
Haven't seen the ring in years, but I see her
every day, it will be 25
years in December. And I can still count the
years in base 10 on my fingers.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:15:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Vaughn Simon" quickly quoth:

"Don" wrote in message
I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern.

Back in my submarine days it was common to turn down rings from large nuts,
usually stainless or monel.

Hey, great idea. Then it screws on so it can't get lost!

--
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote in message
newslwFj.1136$Xl2.183@trndny01...
Welders, machine tools and jewelry don't mix.

Jewelry also doesn't mix with unfused electricity, so I also have never worn
a wedding ring. I vaguely remember that we bought me a cheap wedding ring 30
years ago. Shortly thereafter, I tossed the ring in the jewelry box, but kept
the lady.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've actually made six out of commercial gold wire (various combinations of
braided, knotted, plaited) joined with proper gold solder using a propane
torch. Not too difficult, and very satisfying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Making a wedding ring for myself would have struck me as odd.... had
I the skill, I'd have loved to have made my wife's ring (28 years and
counting!).

As for danger... I wear my wedding ring, my class ring, and a
wris****ch. I take all three off in the shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-23, BillM wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
Remember I used 316 stainless
steel, the best grade of stainless steel I
could get.

Heck, why not? I've got a really nice
(expensive) gold/diamond one
somewhere. Told the bride before the wedding
that the ring came off
after the honeymoon. Welders, machine tools and
jewelry don't mix.
Haven't seen the ring in years, but I see her
every day, it will be 25
years in December. And I can still count the
years in base 10 on my fingers.

Well ... I normally wear mine -- *except* in the shop. As I
walk in the door to my shop, the ring and wris****ch come off of my
finger and wrist and get hung on a pseudo-carabiner clip at my belt
which also supports keys.

I've now been with her for over 32 years, and still have all my
fingers, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:15:37 -0500, Vaughn Simon wrote
(in message ):

"Don" wrote in message
I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern.

Back in my submarine days it was common to turn down rings from large
nuts,
usually stainless or monel.

Vaughn

lurker chiming in... yeah, the monel was popular, but a lot of guys would get
a half dollar coin and a tablespoon, and start peening the edge of the coin
with the spoon, around and around the circumference until they got the ring
diameter they wanted, then drill out the center and dress with a rattail
file.
tom k. ex ETN2(ss)

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

I thought it was mainly quarters but looks like I'm wrong.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/07/29/coin-ring/
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don wrote:

My wife and I got divorced about 15 year ago for industrial reasons.
well we had to get remaired for other reason. I couldn't bring myself
to pay 100 for a wedding ring so I decided to make one my self. I took
a piece of 316 stainless steel and drilled it out to about .8456 dia.
I am not sure about the .0006 dia because of the tempeture , and I am
not sure what the shrink for 316 is. Well I made it about .2" wide. I
then machined two ridges along the edges of the ring about .03 " wide.
The space in the center I knurled a x patern. The ring came out great.
Am I a cheap basterd for making my ring? Remember I used 316 stainless
steel, the best grade of stainless steel I could get.
Don

Yes, you are, but it's a damned good idea. good for you. Industrial
reasons? I've heard of a lot of reasons for divorce but that's a new
one. :-) care to expand on that?

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-24, Jim Chandler wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

Probably means, too much industrial stuff dragged home by husband.