Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installed a Mitutoyo Digimatic quill kit on my Bridgeport

Looks like a very useful kit. Installation was very straightforward,
I did not realize how similar all Bridgeport heads are. Based on some
first impressions, it is a very accurate device.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...Quill-Readout/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-23, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus21938 wrote:

Looks like a very useful kit. Installation was very straightforward,
I did not realize how similar all Bridgeport heads are. Based on some
first impressions, it is a very accurate device.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...Quill-Readout/

They are very handy. Have them at work. Someday I'll have one at home.

They are not even very expensive new from dealers. I bought one at a
liquidation, for somewhat less than new price, but even a new price is
totally reasonable ($182 or so).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I installed one on a "Super Max" Bridgeport clone. So nice to have a
digital display, no question on how many revolutions of an indicator, or
how many divisions do I need....

True, a three axis DRO would do just as well, but hang a two axis on the
mill, then use the Quill DRO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-23, Louis Ohland wrote:
I installed one on a "Super Max" Bridgeport clone. So nice to have a
digital display, no question on how many revolutions of an indicator, or
how many divisions do I need....

True, a three axis DRO would do just as well, but hang a two axis on the
mill, then use the Quill DRO.

I think that it is useful apart of a three axis DRO. The DRO Z axis
measures table position, but this measures quill position, like
drilling depth etc.

I have a 3 axis DRO that I will install soon, hopefully.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
I installed one on a "Super Max" Bridgeport clone. So nice to have a
digital display, no question on how many revolutions of an indicator, or
how many divisions do I need....

True, a three axis DRO would do just as well, but hang a two axis on the
mill, then use the Quill DRO.

Or use the third axis on the knee, which, in my opinion, offers more
utility. Besides, you could then also add the quill kit!

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Looks like it might interfere with one of those spring-clamp depth
stops. Do they still fit?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Dare me to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : make less sense...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-23, steamer wrote:
stops. Do they still fit?

It does interfere with depth stops. I moved them all the way to the
bottom. I do not feel that I need them, with this readout.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 23, 1:12*am, Ignoramus21938 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21938.invalid wrote:
Looks like a very useful kit. Installation was very straightforward,
I did not realize how similar all Bridgeport heads are. Based on some
first impressions, it is a very accurate device.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...toyo-Digital-Q...

As a low dollar type, I bought (actually had my wife buy it for
Christamas a few years ago) a $30 kit for mounting a 6 inch caliper to
do the same as the function as the Mitutoyo quill kit. One of the
nice features is that the caliper is held in place with several thumb
screws and can be removed quickly if needed elsewhere. I do not
remember who sold the kit, MSC, Enco or similar.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Yep ! If you're talking about the mico-graduated round nut that slips up and down via a quick
release push button --- I have both on my 1990 model, 10 x 54, Comet mill.

One more thing I don't have and want badly. Maybe I should change my handle
to Too_Few_Tooling_Dollars?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-24, Wes wrote:
"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Yep ! If you're talking about the mico-graduated round nut that slips up and down via a quick
release push button --- I have both on my 1990 model, 10 x 54, Comet mill.

One more thing I don't have and want badly. Maybe I should change my handle
to Too_Few_Tooling_Dollars?

It is about $20 at McMaster...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16148 wrote: