DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Source for loose 3mm ball bearings needed (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/239131-source-loose-3mm-ball-bearings-needed.html)

Tom Gardner[_2_] March 21st 08 02:35 AM

Source for loose 3mm ball bearings needed

I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? I need to repack a linear
truck.

Ed Huntress March 21st 08 02:47 AM

Source for loose 3mm ball bearings needed

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? I need to repack a linear
truck.

That's about gerbil size, isn't it? You could raise some. They breed really
fast.

--
Ed Huntress

Pete C. March 21st 08 02:48 AM

Tom Gardner wrote:

I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? I need to repack a linear
truck.

McMaster as always, search "bearing balls", catalog page 1124:

http://www.mcmaster.com

High-Precision Bearing Balls

E52100 Alloy Steel— Bearing-quality chrome-finished steel balls are
through-hardened. Rockwell hardness is C60-C67. Inch sizes conform to
ASTM A295.
Balls are Grade 25, with a diameter tolerance of ±0.0001" and a
sphericity of 0.000025" (unless noted).

E52100 Alloy Steel— Metric Sizes

Dia., Pkg.
mm Qty. Per Pkg.

3 100 9292K33 5.94

Ned Simmons March 21st 08 02:50 AM

Source for loose 3mm ball bearings needed

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:35:53 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? I need to repack a linear
truck.

McMaster p/n 9292K33

If you're talking about an THK/IKO sort of linear bearing, those are
often selective assemblies. Graded balls are used to set the preload
and accomodate manufacturing variation in the rail and car.

--
Ned Simmons

Wes[_2_] March 21st 08 01:05 PM

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? I need to repack a linear
truck.

Make sure the balls don't alternate in size. Sometimes you have a
big/little/big/little/... arrangement.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

whit3rd March 21st 08 09:57 PM

On Mar 20, 7:35*pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
I can't seem to find loose 3mm balls, any ideas? *I need to repack a linear
truck.

If it's a really low-tolerance situation, bicycle shops
should have 1/8" BBs in stock... grade 200, usually
a couple bucks per hundred, maybe twice that
for chrome steel grade 25.