DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas bottle mounting angles (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/239055-re-gas-bottle-mounting-angles.html)

Bob Gentry March 20th 08 07:02 PM

Gas bottle mounting angles

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:46:54 -0800, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
I guess my question is mostly about oxygen bottles. IIRC, propane,
acetylene and CO2 are all liquid inside the bottle and have to be mounted
vertically. OR, could they be mounted at a 45, particularly an acetylene?

I don't believe CO2 is in liquid form as usually delivered.

cheers
T.Alan

When I used to work in a local gage test shop (pressure, temperature,
etc.) we made our own dry ice blocks for temperature tests. This was
done by inverting the CO2 bottle and running the output through a two
piece block with a filter screen on the exhaust side. When in the
normally upright position the tank output is gas only. When inverted
the output is _defiantly_ a liquid. (and bloody cold at that grin)

Regards, Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

Andy Dingley March 20th 08 07:50 PM

Gas bottle mounting angles

On 20 Mar, 19:02, Bob Gentry wrote:

When I used to work in a local gage test shop (pressure, temperature,
etc.) we made our own dry ice blocks for temperature tests. This was
done by inverting the CO2 bottle and running the output through a two
piece block with a filter screen on the exhaust side.

That's regarded as bad mojo locally. I've never heard a good
explanation why though, other than that the gas supplier would rather
rent you yet another cylinder, this one with a dip tube running down
inside.

Bob Gentry March 20th 08 11:20 PM

Gas bottle mounting angles

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:50:42 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 20 Mar, 19:02, Bob Gentry wrote:

When I used to work in a local gage test shop (pressure, temperature,
etc.) we made our own dry ice blocks for temperature tests. This was
done by inverting the CO2 bottle and running the output through a two
piece block with a filter screen on the exhaust side.

That's regarded as bad mojo locally. I've never heard a good
explanation why though, other than that the gas supplier would rather
rent you yet another cylinder, this one with a dip tube running down
inside.

Valid point :)

This was 38 years ago

regards, Bob