Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default collet holder

A friend who owned a machine shop that went belly up gave me 26 5C
colletts from 1/16 to 1-1/16".
I would like to make a collet holder for my 12" Enco lathe.
I'm thinking of making the holder from alminum because I have a
suitable sized piece.
My question is whether aluminum will hold up for this type of use?
Engineman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 9:06*pm, " wrote:
A friend who owned a machine shop that went belly up gave me 26 5C
colletts from 1/16 to 1-1/16".
I would like to make a collet holder for my 12" Enco lathe.
I'm thinking of making the holder from alminum because I have a
suitable sized piece.
My question is whether aluminum will hold up for this type of use?
Engineman

If you could machine it the first time, you could also clean it up
when it wears. A spin index spindle has the right internal taper and a
short threaded draw tube you could extend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:06:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

A friend who owned a machine shop that went belly up gave me 26 5C
colletts from 1/16 to 1-1/16".
I would like to make a collet holder for my 12" Enco lathe.
I'm thinking of making the holder from alminum because I have a
suitable sized piece.
My question is whether aluminum will hold up for this type of use?
Engineman

========
Its a lot of work to make a collet holder.

Looking though the Mar/Apr Home Shop Machinist I noticed an ad
that may be of interest.

A 5C collet chuck for 139$US and chuck adapters for 32-45$US
depending on your spindle nose.
http://www.cdcotools.com/

If you have a face plate and don't need through collet/spindle
capability you can use a collet vise for 30-40$.
http://www.minitechcnc.com/options/Collet%20Vise.htm
http://www.hhip.com/products/product...ctID=3900-1621

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,