Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Amtrak from IL to CA (Bay Area)

Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30927" wrote in message
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I haven't ridden it, but several friends have taken at least part of that
route.
54 hours on a train seems like a long time for a seven year old, especially
since it is fairly common for the train to stop and sit for sometimes two or
three hours at a time... Because Amtrak owns the train but uses other
railroads' tracks, the other railroads give priority to their freight trains
and
Amtrak moves on a "time available" basis. The result is that the schedules
are approximations only. One friend of mine had the unique experience of
having to sit for several hours somewhere in Nevada because they'd caught
up with the previous day's train...

Don't misunderstand. I think taking the kid on a train ride is a great
idea,
but you might opt for a (much) shorter one.

Or have you considered flying part of the way and taking the train the rest?
The segment, say, from Reno to Emeryville is rather spectacular.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:23:58 -0500, Ignoramus30927 wrote:

[...] My 6 year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA
(Chicago to Emeryville CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak will
be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old enough
to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable experience. he
may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough we
can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I'm sure the whole trip would be interesting, particularly through
the mountains. But if I were doing this, I'd probably build in a
one-stay stopover in Denver; two days straight is too long for one
ride. I took a two-day train trip 3 years ago (Coimbatore to Chennai
to Kolkata) and after a while felt a little cooped up.
-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Jerry Foster wrote:

[...]

Yes. I am concerned with this 54 hours number. We may fly to Denver,
hang out in the mountains for 2 nights, and take Amtrak from
there. Colorado has some very nice mountain places near Denver.

Chicago to Denver, is not a very spectacular ride anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I took busses from MCRD San Diego to Northern Michigan many years ago since
the airlines were on strike. I read a few books, talked to a few old ladies
that thought I was in the Army (UGH, I was in uniform) and met a cross
section of America on the way.

I checked out Amtrack first since my Grandpa was a railroader and when I was
a kid we often put Grandma on a train when she wanted to go visit extended
family. Sadly, they were booked, that would have been fun.

Bring some books and a digicam. Spend some quality time with your son.
There is a lot of scenery you don't see from the Interstate in view from a
train window.

I'd love to take the Alogma Snow train one of these days.
http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/...snowtrain.html

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus30927 wrote:

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I took busses from MCRD San Diego to Northern Michigan many years ago since
the airlines were on strike. I read a few books, talked to a few old ladies
that thought I was in the Army (UGH, I was in uniform) and met a cross
section of America on the way.

Happened to me once also. Was a very nice experience.

I checked out Amtrack first since my Grandpa was a railroader and
when I was a kid we often put Grandma on a train when she wanted to
go visit extended family. Sadly, they were booked, that would have
been fun.

Bring some books and a digicam. Spend some quality time with your
son. There is a lot of scenery you don't see from the Interstate in
view from a train window.

I'd love to take the Alogma Snow train one of these days.
http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/...snowtrain.html

Looks nice. I think that the best plan is to take a few days off, fly
to Denver, spend 3 days there, 2 in mountains one in zoo, and take
Amtrak to Emeryville.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 9:23 am, Ignoramus30927 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30927.invalid wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

If you go that far, go to "Old Sacramento" and see the railroad
museum. It's in Sacramento, between I-5 and the river. Great place to
spend the day!

Paul in Oregon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30927" wrote in message
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

A few years ago, my cousin and I rode from Syracuse NY to Albuquerque, NM.
It is a great trip.
Get a sleeper- there is nothing like sleeping on a train and your meals will
be included. You also get access to a nicer waiting are in Union Station.
There will be plenty for a 6 year old to do- unlike a plane, kids can get up
and walk around and there will be movies in the lounge car.
The compartment will have outlets to power a laptop or other electronic
device.
Bring a disposable panoramic camera or three- you will be going through some
amazing country and Raton Pass is just jaw-dropping.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

One of the few memories I have left from my childhood is a train ride
from Albuquerque to El Paso when I was somewhere around 6 or 8 years
old. My mom and dad put me on the train and I traveled by myself to El
Paso where my aunt and uncle picked me up. I had a blast, but that
train ride was certainly not any where near 2+ days. I think if it was
that long I would have gone bonkers. (bonkerser???)

A 2+ day trip he might remember for a very long time, and the way he
remembers it would come down to accommodations (sleeper car if they
still have such a thing), and his dad's preparation (books to read,
games to play, etc.). Even at that, 2+ days could be a looong time for
a 6yr old.

As others have suggested, you could break the trip into two parts.
Train to Denver for one part, spend a day or two there, and then
continue to Emeryville. It's been a long time, but I think the ride
from Denver would be a tour of the southwestern deserts. BOOOOOORING!!!
Perhaps you could fly to someplace like Salt Lake City or maybe even
some place closer like Reno Nevada and then take a train. That way I
think the train ride would go over the Sierra Nevada mountains instead
of around the southern end of them.

You have lots of options available to you. Any way you go he will
probably remember the trip for a very long time. HOW he remembers it is
going to be your job. Do your planning right and it could end up being
one of his fondest memories. A cross country adventure he had with his
dad. Do it wrong and it could be one of his worst memories. A cross
country trip his dad dragged him on. He probably won't remember that it
was HIS idea in the first place. :-)

Then, depending on how the trip out this way goes, you can decide about
going back. Maybe a 2++ day trip back with dad would be a good thing
too. Maybe you might want to just fly all the way. Who knows.

I also have another train story. This one isn't mine, but might be of
interest to someone. My 85 year old mother took a train from
Albuquerque out here to Califorlornia a few years back. The two things
that she talked about the most were 1) Having to stop out in the middle
of the interior valley for several hours in the middle of the summer
while waiting for a crew change. and 2) Having to stop out in the
middle of the interior valley for several hours in the middle of the
summer while waiting for a crew change with NO AIR CONDITIONING. She
refunded her return ticket and took a plane back home instead (AFTER her
visit of course).

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Jerry Foster wrote:

[...]

Back in 1966 I took the train from Fairfield, CA to wichita Falls, TC to
save some money. I will NEVER do that again unless I have a sleeper.
Three days in one of those seats is too much. Your idea of flying to
Denver and then by train is excellent. the scenery is much better on
that segment and might keep him occupied.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Jim Chandler wrote:
Back in 1966 I took the train from Fairfield, CA to wichita Falls, TC to
save some money. I will NEVER do that again unless I have a sleeper.
Three days in one of those seats is too much. Your idea of flying to
Denver and then by train is excellent. the scenery is much better on
that segment and might keep him occupied.

Jim

I will definitely get a sleeper (it is called roomette)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Jerry Foster wrote:

[...]

Not Amtrack, but we took a 10-year-old on a train from Beijing to
Chengdu (IIRC around 30 hours)-- it was more expensive than flying--
just for the experience. As well as books, kids today have portable
DVD players, iPods, PSPs and so on to keep busy when the view outside
the window gets boring, and you're not nearly as cooped up as during a
long flight. He also learned to work one of their yo-yos--
http://www.fcc-info.com/exhibition/toy/t1.JPG

I wouldn't do the 54 hours thing with a kid that age. Fly out and do
the best part, as others have said. There will always be trains
somewhere to take if you want to take a train.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Iggy,

Lots of fun for both Dad and the young'un on a train. Day coach or
sleeper, or rich guy compartment, all are intriguing.

Seems to me I checked into a similar trip a few years back now. Maybe
10 - 15 years ago ??? Time flies!!. Never did it though, but I
recall something that might interest you.

You should check whether the train from Chicago goes south thru
Flagstaff, or even Phoenix. There is a "scenic railway" that runs
north from Williams (about 30 miles west of Flagstaff), and it goes to
the Grand Canyon. Not too sure if it was daily, or just seasonal. As
I recall, you can book the Amtrak with a one or two day layover that
lets you visit the Grand Canyon. Even go up by bus if you can't do
otherwise. If you rent a car and drive up, there's an interesting
airport museum that you both might like at the junction of Hwy 64 and
180, at Valle. Not too big...maybe an hours sees it all. It's about
1/2 hour south of the Canyon, and you can get sight-seeing rides in
fixed wing or helicopters from there.

Take the train out there while he's all keen and excited, and fly home
from California when he wants to see Mom.

Good on you doing the trip with young Iggy. I recall trips I took
with my Dad when I was his age and a bit older, and that was 60 years
ago!!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I have taken the Amtrak from Flagstaff, AZ to Washington, DC and back
twice in the last 5 years. We went through Chicago all trips.

Your comment about getting the sleeper is important! Nights in the open
car are miserable. If you can, get a berth on the lower level of the
train, the side to side sloshing is less bothersome down low.

Avoid holidays.

The scenery from Chicago to about the Colorado border is boring, but
gets better fast at the Colorado line. There are a few nice spots
between Albuquerque and Flagstaff, but it is mostly open desert.

If things are working, the food is pretty good on the train. If they are
not, the train people have no problem sendng somebody out for a truck
load of KFC.

The oberservation cars are pretty cool. There is lots of room to move
around. I think they showed kids movies in the observation car after dark.

If things are working, the people are friendly and professional. If not,
they may be pretty unpleasant.

The air travel system in the US before September 11 was right at the
edge of intolerable. After September 11, I will drive 8 hours rather
than fly 1 hour. Longer trips are often avoided. I was hoping the trains
would be a workable substitute for flying longer distances.

Good Luck and enjoy,
BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

I rode the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Franciso in 1949
when I was 7. I shall never forget that journey and experience. It
was fantastic!

We had a compartment so we could have a good night's sleep, but we
spent almost no time in the compartment during the day. We were in
the Vista Dome much of the day except when taking meals in the dining
car. I could read during periods when when there wasn't much to see
out the window.

The rail route thru the Royal Gorge was absolutely jaw-dropping,
awe-inpiring and spectacular. The emptiness of some parts of the
country (no billboards, gas stations or other signs of civilization)
was quite striking.

Don, we've definitely decided to go and I checked with my spouse
also. So we'll go. We'll use a "roomette" which is a little tiny room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Excellent idea.
When I joined the US Navy, I rode a train from Philadelphia to
Chicago. It was an overnight ride and we had a sleeping car. There was
restaurant and a bar. I do remember going around the Horseshoe Curve
in Altoona PA.
It was great!!
You might be able to break the trip up into more than one long ride.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Igor,

Take train #1 - Moscow-Vladivostok. THIS would be fantastic!

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

For 7yrs old - everything is interesting on the train. Especially
if you would be able to make some 'in-depth' visits - not sure
if it's possible on the Amtrack but is is for sure possible on
the train #1.

A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

For 7yrs old - everything is interesting on the train. Especially
if you would be able to make some 'in-depth' visits - not sure
if it's possible on the Amtrack but is is for sure possible on
the train #1.

Good point. When I was 7 my folks gave me a kid-level train book to
read before our trip. I learned all about the various kinds of
locomotives, about fusees, torpedoes, flimsies, air brakes and the
various jobs of those who work for the railroad, and I knew all of
the whistle signals which, BTW, are still in use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-20, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I certainly hope you you are not considering sending a child without a
responsible adult. Wasn't sure from the original post.

I am not considering that.

As to boredom, you can play the alphabet game with him, and with signs along
the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry Foster wrote:
[...]

We have friends that have done from Chicago to Flag several times.
I havent ask but it seems to me that the stretch from Chicago to
south east Colorado (foot hills of the rockies) is going to be one
awfull long borring ride. Over Raton pass and through lots of NM
would be OK but the layovers (one in Albuquerue for an hour) might
get old in a hurry. I think rides on the old steam engine trains
such as the Silverton to Durango and the Chama to Antonito on the
Cumbres & Toltec would be much more intresting.
(Shamless plug for NM tourism) :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

Growing up, my daughter rode Caltrans/Amtrack
all over and enjoyed it. Amtrack through the
Sierras is prone to delays and bus detours
Probably won't be so bad in the summer. No
experience with long trips though.

Wave when you go through Davis, Ca. You can
see my house from the tracks.