Old March 20th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Amtrak from IL to CA (Bay Area)

Jerry Foster wrote:
I haven't ridden it, but several friends have taken at least part of that
route.
54 hours on a train seems like a long time for a seven year old, especially
since it is fairly common for the train to stop and sit for sometimes two or
three hours at a time... Because Amtrak owns the train but uses other
railroads' tracks, the other railroads give priority to their freight trains
and
Amtrak moves on a "time available" basis. The result is that the schedules
are approximations only. One friend of mine had the unique experience of
having to sit for several hours somewhere in Nevada because they'd caught
up with the previous day's train...

Don't misunderstand. I think taking the kid on a train ride is a great
idea,
but you might opt for a (much) shorter one.

Or have you considered flying part of the way and taking the train the rest?
The segment, say, from Reno to Emeryville is rather spectacular.

We have friends that have done from Chicago to Flag several times.
I havent ask but it seems to me that the stretch from Chicago to
south east Colorado (foot hills of the rockies) is going to be one
awfull long borring ride. Over Raton pass and through lots of NM
would be OK but the layovers (one in Albuquerue for an hour) might
get old in a hurry. I think rides on the old steam engine trains
such as the Silverton to Durango and the Chama to Antonito on the
Cumbres & Toltec would be much more intresting.
(Shamless plug for NM tourism) :-)
...lew...

Old March 21st 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30927 wrote:
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

Growing up, my daughter rode Caltrans/Amtrack
all over and enjoyed it. Amtrack through the
Sierras is prone to delays and bus detours
Probably won't be so bad in the summer. No
experience with long trips though.

Wave when you go through Davis, Ca. You can
see my house from the tracks.