Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default protecting small OD tubing

I am making a few trinkets that use 5/64 (.078) OD .006 wall brass
tubing. I bought the tubing and the bender from K&S.. the people who
seem to make every size of thin wall tubing known to man. The design
dictates such a thin wall, so that cannot change, so I am looking for
ways to protect this tubing. I have to bend it aout 20 degrees, so I
noticed that aside from just bending the tubing, the coil style tubing
bender... link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXR791

would do a great job protecting the tubing also.. So... instead of
buying a bunch of tubing bender kits, just for this one size... I am
now looking for a vendor who may sell some this coil type stuff that
would fit my 5/64 OD tubing. I have about 20 short lengths of tubing
to protect, so I need at least several feet of it.

After 20 minutes of googling every wording I could think of, I thought
maybe someone here would know what that stuff is called???

thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you simply need to protect the tubing
from crimping while you bend it or do you need to protect the bend
forever, leaving the "spring" in place after you do the bending?

The basic stuff seems to be just expansion (or extension) spring
material. You should be able to find it without too much trouble.
I googled "exansion spring" and got 35,000 hits.

We used to use springs like this as drive belts for motion picture
projector reel drives.
Recently I found a site that sells them, although I don't know if
they'd have the size you need:

http://www.8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/supplies.htm

I did see one that has an OD of 1/8". What are the chances that it
woulld be right for your application?

I googled "projector spring" to get back to that site, but I wouldn't
spend too much time there, beyond the site above.

Pete Stanaitis

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:59:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Try tubing bender +spring

But I don;t believe you will find it in less then 1/4".

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)