Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - When you have what they don't want

Dollars tough to sell on streets of Amsterdam Mon Mar 17, 12:17 PM ET

The U.S. dollar's value is dropping so fast against the euro that
small currency outlets in Amsterdam are turning away tourists seeking
to sell their dollars for local money while on vacation in the
Netherlands.

"Our dollar is worth maybe zero over here," said Mary Kelly, an
American tourist from Indianapolis, Indiana, in front of the Anne
Frank house. "It's hard to find a place to exchange. We have to go
downtown, to the central station or post office."

That's because the smaller currency exchanges -- despite buy/sell
spreads that make it easier for them to make money by exchanging small
amounts of currency -- don't want to be caught holding dollars that
could be worth less by the time they can sell them.

The dollar hovered near record lows on Monday, with one euro worth
around $1.58 versus $1.47 a month ago.