Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reinventing the wheel!

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:25:29 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:38:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:56:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

That's why I bought it. The Chinese crap didn't look like it would
last a year.

one thing I find annoying with can openers in general is that cans seem to
be shrinking in metal thickness and some can openers can't deal with the
thin cans.

If that's so, "adjust" your can opener with a hammer.

I love the concept of the can opener that cuts the top off from the
side.
There are several on the market that do this, allowing you to use the
top of the can as a replaceable lid.

What gets me is the cheaper one that cuts from the side, just below
the lid, taking the whole rim off with the lid. Much wider tolerance
for cheaper manufacture, then the marketing dorks push it as a
"SAFETY" opener. When was the last time you cut yourself getting
material off the lid so that now you are safer with the rim left on
the lid, as opposed to having it left on the body of the can?
Isn't it surprising what these dorks think everyone will accept as
truth?

However..each of those Ive tried last about 5 cans then break.

Any good ones out there?

And the trend in making the rims thinner/smaller sure has played hell
with my electric can openers. Takes me about 3x as long trying to get
a large dogfood or catfood can open, fumble ****ing around.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 2:44 pm, Dan@ (Dan ) wrote:
If it wasn't for "reinventing the wheel" we'd only have stone wheels with
one choice of tire for only one make and model of automobile. So much for
building a better mousetrap, why reinvent the mousetrap?

I honestly haven't found a mouse trap that works better than the
second one made. The first one would be the cat I suppose.

We use a plastic mousetrap that works much better than the
Victor. Easy to set, and we don't even bait it: just set it facing the
wall, and the mice since they prefer to run along the wall, climb onto
it because it's in the way and get nailed. Every time. This is it,
he http://www.delmer.com/myimages/mouse_trap.jpg

Definition of tomcat: ball-bearing mousetrap.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Which one - the 50' Man or the 50' Woman? G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:40:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Eregon
quickly quoth:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.p...796d8/3d2153aa
For those days when you have to deal with one inflamed asshole after
another...

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Which one - the 50' Man or the 50' Woman? G

I don't remember. I saw it in the early '60s, when I was still using
hand tools.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Which one - the 50' Man or the 50' Woman? G

I don't remember. I saw it in the early '60s, when I was still using
hand tools.

Then you missed the remake of the 50 foot woman - with Daryl Hanna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_..._50_Foot_Woman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Which one - the 50' Man or the 50' Woman? G

I don't remember. I saw it in the early '60s, when I was still using
hand tools.

Then you missed the remake of the 50 foot woman - with Daryl Hanna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_..._50_Foot_Woman

I saw that listed at http://www.imdb.com and yes, I haven't seen it.
I rarely go to a theater. Maybe three times in the last 20 years. I
don't have any of the movie channels, or rent anything from a video
store. If it doesn't show up in the bin at Dollar tree, I'll probably
never see it.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.p...796d8/3d2153aa
For those days when you have to deal with one inflamed asshole after
another...

chuckling

A few years ago - when SWMBO was into making decorated T-shirts - I got her
to make me one with that picture. grin

Inside of a week she'd sold about 20 of them - mostly to local cops!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

I think the ones that inhabit this news group would be way too tough
to eat no matter the recipe. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Then you missed the remake of the 50 foot woman - with Daryl Hanna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_..._50_Foot_Woman

I saw that listed at http://www.imdb.com and yes, I haven't seen it.
I rarely go to a theater. Maybe three times in the last 20 years. I
don't have any of the movie channels, or rent anything from a video
store. If it doesn't show up in the bin at Dollar tree, I'll probably
never see it.

Well, nobody will ever accuse you of living beyond your means!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Didn't see the movie but did read "To Serve Man" Arthur C Clark. :-)
Good.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:10:40 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Didn't see the movie but did read "To Serve Man" Arthur C Clark. :-)
Good.

That was made into a very good Twilight Zone episode. vbg

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you
have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally
fatal to
both... grin

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Didn't see the movie but did read "To Serve Man" Arthur C Clark. :-)
Good.
...lew...

YUeah.

You want fries with that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:19:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:44:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan@
(Dan ) quickly quoth:

If it wasn't for "reinventing the wheel" we'd only have stone wheels with
one choice of tire for only one make and model of automobile. So much for
building a better mousetrap, why reinvent the mousetrap?

I honestly haven't found a mouse trap that works better than the
second one made. The first one would be the cat I suppose.

Huh? After having to feed, then neuter them, putting up with loud
nights, their territory marking, pooping, and furniture/people
scratching, not to mention the fur all the eff over EVERYTHING, the
cat cannot be considered the better mousetrap. Especially at 1,500
times the price.

I never said the cat was the better trap, just the first one. That's
why the R&D people at Victor came up with the second one. Must be they
hated cats too!
The ferocious cat I have is 1 mouse to my 14, so it's a really
expensive model.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Then you missed the remake of the 50 foot woman - with Daryl Hanna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_..._50_Foot_Woman

I saw that listed at http://www.imdb.com and yes, I haven't seen it.
I rarely go to a theater. Maybe three times in the last 20 years. I
don't have any of the movie channels, or rent anything from a video
store. If it doesn't show up in the bin at Dollar tree, I'll probably
never see it.

Well, nobody will ever accuse you of living beyond your means!

As long as I don't buy more than a few a month.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left
is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to
both... grin

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and
the giant syringe?

Didn't see the movie but did read "To Serve Man" Arthur C Clark. :-)
Good.
...lew...

....It's a cookbook!!!....

Some decent Sci-Fi is availible for free from Baen Books:
http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned
enough to cook?

I think the ones that inhabit this news group would be way too tough
to eat no matter the recipe. :-)
...lew...

I was thinking about feeding them to the poor, dumb animals, but
realized it would be cannibalism.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Some decent Sci-Fi is availible for free from Baen Books:
http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

I was happy to find Christopher Anvil's "Interstellar Patrol" series there.

I'd first encountered them in Analog in the 60's. G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Some decent Sci-Fi is availible for free from Baen Books:
http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

I was happy to find Christopher Anvil's "Interstellar Patrol" series there.

I'd first encountered them in Analog in the 60's. G

Enjoy.

I need to dig out the Sci-Fi trilogy I wrote 20 years ago and see if
the disks are still readable.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Enjoy.

I did - when I ran into them a year ago - and do when I re-read them. G

I need to dig out the Sci-Fi trilogy I wrote 20 years ago and see if
the disks are still readable.

Hopefully they won't be on 8" or 5.25" floppies...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
:

Enjoy.

I did - when I ran into them a year ago - and do when I re-read them. G

I need to dig out the Sci-Fi trilogy I wrote 20 years ago and see if
the disks are still readable.

Hopefully they won't be on 8" or 5.25" floppies...

3.5" Commodore 1581 format, written with Speedscript 128. I finally
dug out a couple Commodore 128 computers from storage, one which has an
internal 1581.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger_N wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Eregon wrote:

3.5" Commodore 1581 format, written with Speedscript 128. I finally
dug out a couple Commodore 128 computers from storage, one which has an
internal 1581.

Sad thing is that it will boot faster than a brand new quad core! At least
to the command prompt.

I used to have a Commodore 128D with internal drive, but I think it was a
5-1/4" drive.

RogerN

They all did. I got hold of one with a damaged case, and decided to
do a little metal and plastic work on it. I was going to replace the
damaged 1571 internal drive, then I ran across a 1581 with a bad case.
I used a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion kit, and found room inside the case
for the new PC board. I still haven't modified the existing controller
to talk to the bare 1581 drive, but almost everything I need is already
on the 128D motherboard.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:25:29 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

That's why I bought it. The Chinese crap didn't look like it would
last a year.

one thing I find annoying with can openers in general is that cans seem to
be shrinking in metal thickness and some can openers can't deal with the
thin cans.

If that's so, "adjust" your can opener with a hammer.

I love the concept of the can opener that cuts the top off from the
side.
There are several on the market that do this, allowing you to use the
top of the can as a replaceable lid.

However..each of those Ive tried last about 5 cans then break.

Any good ones out there?

Culinaire makes "Safety Can", and Good Foods makes an "Orbi". I
inherited the Culinaire, but got the Orbi at the Hardware store.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

Making a "wheel of fortune " prize wheel [email protected] UK diy 7 January 18th 06 04:58 PM
Making a "wheel of fortune " prize wheel [email protected] UK diy 0 January 18th 06 01:20 AM
14" WAGON WHEEL J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 05 11:24 PM
Big eater wheel Gary A. Gorgen Metalworking 0 April 26th 05 02:57 PM