Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Computer software question...

"Al A." wrote:

Apologies for the OT post, but i know we have some pretty experienced
computer types here whose judgment I'd trust. I may have need for some
means to remotely access, via the web, a couple of computers. All have
capability for "Always on" broadband access. Let's call them computers
A,B & C. We need to be able to use computer A to access either B or C
remotely, just to transfer and access files and such. There should never
be need to access B & C simultaneously. Needs to be reasonably secure,
but no overly sensitive personal, financial or DOD type info here.

www.cygwin.com
setup a sshd server using cygwin

put a copy of winscp on a flash drive from www.portableapps.com

No cost other than time.

It is what I use.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks very much for all of the replies.

To clarify a bit, by "access" what I am trying to accomplish is
mostly being able to grab files. What we are doing now, is to go to
the office (next town over), copie a few excel files onto a thumb
drive, bring them home, do some updating/bookeeping, save them back to
the thumbdrive, and then copy the updated excel file back onto the
original computer next time we are at the other office. If I can
remotely copy some excel files from computer "B" to computer "A"(at
home), add stuff to said file, then put it back on "B" from home, it
will make things much easier. No real need at this time to do the any
"remote desktop" sort of thing. These are all individual computers, no
servers or networks at either end. If it ever progresses much beyond
this level of complexity I would likely get someone more expert
involved anyhow. All 3 computers are WinXP.

I'll look into some of the alternatives you guys have suggested.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

AL A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in news:e55b8bdb-2800-4d9e-b69e-e8049b2d0637
@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I'm a bit late to the party but I'd recommend a product called 'Remote
Admin' they have a website at 'www.radmin.com'. It's 49 bucks per
license, you need one per remote machine and you can get a free viewer
program for as many pc's as you need to view the remote machines on. The
latest version has built in file transfer. A couple of caveats, make
sure you have either a permanent IP address or have some way of
determining it on each remote PC or you wont be able to connect to it
over the web. The other is that if the PCs access the net through a
firewall or router make sure you pass the listening port used by any
remote software to the remote machine or nothing will work.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll look into some of the alternatives you guys have suggested.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

As I said,
www.cygwin.com setting up the sshd (secure shell daemon) and
using a program like WinScp will get it done cheap. Only price is the
learning curve.

If you ever need to do the screen transfer thing, look at whatever free
version of VNC using ssh tunneling.

fwiw, years ago I used pcanywhere to administrate (fix the damn problem) my
companies IT infrastructure from hotel rooms over 1200 Baud modems. Wasn't
a lot of fun but when the admin is a thousand miles away and the MRP or EDI
system is down, it was worth the time lag.

Wes