Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Computer software question...

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:11:33 -0800, JR North
wrote:

Used PCAnywhere for years. Works very well..
JR

PC anywhere USED to be the standard. It is now almost totally eclipsed
by products such as "real VNC"

As a matter of principal I no longer use or recommend ANY product
handled or (supposedly) supported by Symantec. Just not worth the pain
and agravation.

Dwellwer in the cellar

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:03:07 -0500, "Al A."
wrote:

Apologies for the OT post, but i know we have some pretty experienced
computer types here whose judgment I'd trust. I may have need for some
means to remotely access, via the web, a couple of computers. All have
capability for "Always on" broadband access. Let's call them computers
A,B & C. We need to be able to use computer A to access either B or C
remotely, just to transfer and access files and such. There should never
be need to access B & C simultaneously. Needs to be reasonably secure,
but no overly sensitive personal, financial or DOD type info here.

Someone suggested PC ANYWHERE as a possible app to do this. I have
researched it a bit and it looks like it may be what I need. I am
wondering if any of you guys have tried this particular software and
have an opinion on ease of setup/use, relaibility, etc., or care to
suggest something else.

I consider myself a bit more computer savvy than the average joe, but
I have no delusions that I am a network expert. I would appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks very much,
AL A.

Do yourself a favour and look at "real vnc"
There is a free version that will operate up to 5 users on one machine
that will give you an adequate trial - and may be all you need. Put
the "server" on the machine(s) you want to access, and you can use the
"client" on the access machine, or if you have Java VM installed on
the "servers" and "client" you can access it from your browser.

A HOLE lot more effective, in my experience, than PC Anywhere.
If you have the "servers" behind a firewall you need to set it up,
just like you do for PC Anywhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Used PCAnywhere for years. Works very well..
JR

PC anywhere USED to be the standard. It is now almost totally eclipsed
by products such as "real VNC"

As a matter of principal I no longer use or recommend ANY product
handled or (supposedly) supported by Symantec. Just not worth the pain
and agravation.

I agree. Do not use Symantec product if you can avoid it. They are
worse than Microsoft as to how they want to install their software on
your PC. And they are memory hogs.

Thankfully, all my PC's are now history and I am happily playing on Macs.

VNC is the way to go in my opinion also.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com