Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tabletop Surface Grinder - Nashua NH

No connection, no opinion on its value, just a heads up.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/603268616.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Ned Simmons wrote in article
No connection, no opinion on its value, just a heads up.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/603268616.html

--
Ned Simmons

That is a Sanford surface grinder.

It is a different color than mine - which is what I call a light olive drab
- which might suggest that it has been refurbished somewhere along the
line.

I bought one that looks like that one a couple of years ago for $150.

Before I got it home - 50 miles - I was offered $750 for it.

If I didn't already have one, I would probably take a look at this one.

BTW - There's a strong chance that the original 110v mag chuck pictured
with the machine doesn't work. I just use a small regular mag chuck on
mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-14, Ned Simmons wrote:
No connection, no opinion on its value, just a heads up.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/603268616.html

Hmm ... that looks a lot like my Sanford. The electric magnetic
chuck is mounted backwards if so -- I see the connector on the left of
it, while it should take a cable which goes down to the right side of
the base.

The electrolytic cap in the base was dead, so I redesigned the
wiring in there to use a bridge rectifier instead of a single selenium
rectifier, and a much heavier cap. Because of the bridge rectifier, I
also had to redesign the overall wiring and switching in the base.

There are two switches on the right side of the base, and one
connector for the cable going to the mag chuck. One switch is the mag
chuck, set up as "DC/Off/AC". The DC is used for holding, while the AC
demagnetizes the workpiece and the chuck to make it easier to separate
them. The other switch is for the single-phase motor on the back.

Because of the electric mag chuck and the lack of isolation from
the power line, they say to not use coolant with the grinder -- unless
you change over to a permanent magnet chuck.

Color is different -- mine is the usual grey. And there is a
bit more shrouding around the upper end of the dovetail in the back.

But if it is in good condition, the price looks nice.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564