Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal protection question (truck bed liner)

I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

TIA

--
Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!
-------------------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

I've not used it personally, but I've read a few reviews and all were
good. Your other option would probably be a bed coating that Duplicolor
makes, though I haven't seen any reviews on it.

What is wrong with spending $300 to protect a new truck that costs 100X
that? Do you also not want to spend the $100 on a set of factory service
manuals (or CDs) too? I order the service manuals at the same time I
order the truck, and by the time the truck arrives I know every detail
of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

The $400 that I spent was a great investment. The pro coating is much
thicker than herculiner. It stands up to any abuse. Pays for itself
rapidly if you carry heavy metal objects that are pushed nito your
truck with forklifts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

back in the day, before double walled truck beds, I built plywood side and
floor protectors. Of course, that was a lot of years ago...

My parents, bought their first truck about 15 years ago. It has a bed liner
in it. Mom keeps a blanket behind the set, so she can carry loads in the bed
and not scratch the bed liner... I double over laughing everytime she pulls
the blanket out..... But, there are not scratches in the bed liner!!!!!

bob in phx
"Pete C." wrote in message
. net...

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
. net...

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

i used SEM tintable spray on urethane bed liner. sprayed on with a schutz
gun. it's ok, i like it, but i think a slippery liner is better. this one
is a kinda rubbery urethane non-slip liner. after using is for a while i
came to think a HARD slippery coating would probably be better than a
rubbery non-slip coating. (so you can push two pallet loads into the bed,
and pull them back out. once i put a pallet in back and there was a nail
sticking out of the pallet, it slashed the rubbery liner, i wondered if
there was a HARD slippery liner if the nail woulda just skidded across the
surface w/o cutting it.) i think it was about $150 for the kit. you can
get a pint of color matched paint and mix it in to match the color of your
truck, so you don't have to settle for black if you don't want to.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:48:46 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

I've not used it personally, but I've read a few reviews and all were
good. Your other option would probably be a bed coating that Duplicolor
makes, though I haven't seen any reviews on it.

Thanks, Pete. I'll check it out. Y'think the extra weight of the liner
will help me stop more quickly? I love the 4-wheel disc brakes.
60-0 in 159'.

What is wrong with spending $300 to protect a new truck that costs 100X
that?

26x. g Because I don't feel the product is worth the price. Nor did
I feel that $170 for the bed rails was worth it, so I bought a $20
stick of Unistrut, hacked it in half, and put it up with $10 worth of
hardware and hangers. The yellow zinc coating blends nicely with my
gold bed color.

Do you also not want to spend the $100 on a set of factory service
manuals (or CDs) too? I order the service manuals at the same time I
order the truck, and by the time the truck arrives I know every detail
of it.

Had I thought of that, I would have ordered them then, too, but it'll
be a long while until I need service on this new beastie.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

I've not used it personally, but I've read a few reviews and all were
good. Your other option would probably be a bed coating that Duplicolor
makes, though I haven't seen any reviews on it.

Thanks, Pete. I'll check it out. Y'think the extra weight of the liner
will help me stop more quickly?

Yea, probably by .001"

I love the 4-wheel disc brakes.
60-0 in 159'.

Disk are nice, particularly for off road use since they are self
cleaning, but properly sized drums work well too.

What is wrong with spending $300 to protect a new truck that costs 100X
that?

26x. g Because I don't feel the product is worth the price. Nor did
I feel that $170 for the bed rails was worth it, so I bought a $20
stick of Unistrut, hacked it in half, and put it up with $10 worth of
hardware and hangers. The yellow zinc coating blends nicely with my
gold bed color.

Unistrut is remarkably handy stuff to have around. I keep some assorted
lengths of the deep version on had as well as a small toolbox full of
nuts, bolts and brackets.

Do you also not want to spend the $100 on a set of factory service
manuals (or CDs) too? I order the service manuals at the same time I
order the truck, and by the time the truck arrives I know every detail
of it.

Had I thought of that, I would have ordered them then, too, but it'll
be a long while until I need service on this new beastie.

Yea, but what will you have for reading material while making a deposit
at the porcelain bank???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 11:48*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. *Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? *It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. *What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

What is wrong with spending $300 to protect a new truck that costs 100X
that? Do you also not want to spend the $100 on a set of factory service
manuals (or CDs) too? I order the service manuals at the same time I
order the truck, and by the time the truck arrives I know every detail
of it.

I always buy the factory manual set, too, and check it for gotchas
like jacking / towing restrictions, difficult maintenance operations,
or special tools which I can usually buy cheap in a discount store.

I bought the factory bed liner for my truck one year later when the
dealer was selling them off at half price. It's good general
protection but when hauling machinery I replace it with a plywood
floor, front bed & window protector made of PT planks and a crane in
the rear attached by the bed bolts, with solid tie-down eyes low in
all 4 corners.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 05:35:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"William Wixon" quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Thinking more deeply about it, I prefer a slippery bed, too, but not
for pallet loads. I have a LoadHandler and would need to buy a $70
slippery bed mat for that if I used it with a rubbery bed liner.
Hmmm, the plot thickens...

I was happy with a plastic drop-in before, and probably will be again.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:22:09 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus17007 quickly quoth:

On 2008-03-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

The $400 that I spent was a great investment. The pro coating is much
thicker than herculiner. It stands up to any abuse. Pays for itself
rapidly if you carry heavy metal objects that are pushed nito your
truck with forklifts.

SIR! I don't abuse my truck like that!

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter whether it's 'slippery' or 'sticky' bed coating, or a
molded 'drop in bedliner', if I slide in a pallet of anything heavy
into the truck I always put a layer of plywood or chipboard in the bed
first. Two layers of plywood if you plan to skid the first pallet to
the front of the bed by pushing it with the second pallet.

Then your load has something sacrificial to slide against, as wood
pallets ALWAYS potentially have loose nail heads and/or gravel and
rocks sticking out on the bottom friction surface. You could even
embed abrasives like that in plastic or press-molded pallets.

My utility bed is steel diamond-tread, and I still do that. Don't
want to mess up the paint too bad.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

yeah, me too, i have a 3/4 inch thick rubber mat (i think it used to be a
conveyor belt, came from my previous truck's first owner). you can also get
"stall mats" from Agway, Tractor Supply ( whatever)
http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...746&click=2744 .
the rubber is super grippy, it's difficult to push or pull anything on or
off it. the protruding nail slashed the bed liner on the wheel well.
(since i'd JUST got the truck and just finished the undercoat job (myself)
it REALLY ****ed me off) i thought if it was a hard coating instead of a
soft coating maybe the nail woulda skidded across it rather than slashing
all the way though to metal. i really like this rubber mat. i feel it
protects the bed not only from scratches it also spreads the load (rocks,
boulders) and prevents, at least to some degree, the sheetmetal bed from
getting dented as well. it doesn't rot, i've had it in the back of two pick
up trucks now. it's easy to take out to clean it and the bed. relatively
inexpensive.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

TIA

--
Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!
-------------------------------------

Roll on a coat of Prussian Blue. That way you'll never put anything in there,
so it will stay perfect! You could lend the truck to pesky friends and
relatives...they'll never ask again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 04:10:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

Roll on a coat of Prussian Blue. That way you'll never put anything in there,
so it will stay perfect! You could lend the truck to pesky friends and
relatives...they'll never ask again.

Gonna loan me a barrel? Thanks, buddy.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:34:58 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Doesn't matter whether it's 'slippery' or 'sticky' bed coating, or a
molded 'drop in bedliner', if I slide in a pallet of anything heavy
into the truck I always put a layer of plywood or chipboard in the bed
first. Two layers of plywood if you plan to skid the first pallet to
the front of the bed by pushing it with the second pallet.

I'll do the OSB thing, too, for those really nasty loads, but most of
my hauling will consist of ladders, lumber, and wheeled equipment. A
drop-in will continue to work fine for me.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I look at my truck as a... well... truck. I try to keep the cab portion
relatively scratch and dent free, but I actually use my truck and I
expect the bed section to get a bit beat up. If nothing else, it helps
keep the eco-ego-maniacs in their hybrids from thinking the truck is
some sort of status symbol toy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Having a beat up truck guarentees right of way at intesections, and
insures that people dont park too closely in parking lots.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 04:10:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
I have had a drop-in liner in my old F-150 for a dozen years and loved
it. Now I need to protect my new Tundra bed.

Has anyone here used Herculiner? It's a $100 roll-on kit of
polyurethane and rubber granules for texture. Sounds good.

I'm not willing to pay $300 for a fancy liner or expensive spray-in by
a professional. What other options does a cheapa&H&H&H&H&H&Hfrugal
guy like me have?

Roll on a coat of Prussian Blue. That way you'll never put anything in there,
so it will stay perfect! You could lend the truck to pesky friends and
relatives...they'll never ask again.

Gonna loan me a barrel? Thanks, buddy.

You could probably get by with a five gallon bucket...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:23:16 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

[...]

I don't know. It just doesn't go very far, does it?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Not at first...

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:04:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Prussian Blue..the gift that keeps on giving....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:31:41 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Prussian Blue..the gift that keeps on giving....

The Poison Ivy of inks!

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even
the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve
of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:31:41 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Prussian Blue..the gift that keeps on giving....

Gunner

I thought that came from France.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada