Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default substitute for plywood needed

On Mar 13, 9:27 am, Randy wrote:
Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. Problem
with the plywood is it compresses in use, and as it gets thinner the
bolts used to hold the whole thing together start to stick out and the
unit requires frequent retorquing.

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum.

Gargolite G7 looked nice until I saw the price of a 2 x 3 foot peice
at $1140.00. I would need 2 x 4 or 5 foot peices.

Any suggestions.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Randy,
Garolite G11 at $550 from Mcmaster, per sheet.
Aluminum tooling plate, 2' x 6' $750 same source.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 10:27 am, Randy wrote:
Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. Problem
with the plywood is it compresses in use, and as it gets thinner the
bolts used to hold the whole thing together start to stick out and the
unit requires frequent retorquing.

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum.

Gargolite G7 looked nice until I saw the price of a 2 x 3 foot peice
at $1140.00. I would need 2 x 4 or 5 foot peices.

Any suggestions.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Welcome to the real world of manufacturing!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. Problem
with the plywood is it compresses in use, and as it gets thinner the
bolts used to hold the whole thing together start to stick out and the
unit requires frequent retorquing.

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum.

Gargolite G7 looked nice until I saw the price of a 2 x 3 foot peice
at $1140.00. I would need 2 x 4 or 5 foot peices.

Any suggestions.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Possibly something he http://www.sdplastics.com/phenolic.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mechanical Magic" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 9:27 am, Randy wrote:
[...]

can you wrap the wood in high temp epoxy/fiberglass?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 9:27 am, Randy wrote:
Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum....

Particle board?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 1:25 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 13, 9:27 am, Randy wrote:

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum....

Particle board?

Buy the aluminum plate... It's almost like money in the bank!

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Contact the tech support for companies like
3M and Dow Corning.

They might have a product that they can suggest.

If you are just looking for the insulation effect how about
using 1/8" or so backed up with a sheet of al.

DOC

On Mar 13, 12:27*pm, Randy wrote:
Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. *Problem
with the plywood is it compresses in use, and as it gets thinner the
bolts used to hold the whole thing together start to stick out and the
unit requires frequent retorquing.

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum.

Gargolite G7 looked nice until I saw the price of a 2 x 3 foot peice
at $1140.00. I would need 2 x 4 or 5 foot peices.

Any suggestions.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:
Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets.

Nomex honeycomb aluminum faced panels.

http://www.cattcousa.com/indust_com.htm

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 11:27*am, Randy wrote:
Any plastic guru's here?

Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. *Problem
with the plywood is it compresses in use, and as it gets thinner the
bolts used to hold the whole thing together start to stick out and the
unit requires frequent retorquing.

Need some type of plastic that does not compress like wood, can
withstand 350 deg F for 1 hour, and idealy would have a coeffient of
expansion close to aluminum.

Gargolite G7 looked nice until I saw the price of a 2 x 3 foot peice
at $1140.00. I would need 2 x 4 or 5 foot peices.

Any suggestions.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Was the plywood you were using just regular fir or hardwood stuff?
They do make a phenolic-clad Baltic birch plyboard for steel-rule
press work. This stuff is about as stout a stuff as you can get in a
wood product, it's used in a hydraulic press with a urethane die
blanket opposing it for sheetmetal forming. Not sure how it would
stand up to heat, though. Expensive stuff, too, last chunk I bought
was 2x3 and ran about $40. You aren't going to get it from the local
Lowe's or Home Despot, either. Strictly an industrial material, may
take a little searching in your area to find it, called die-board
around here. Cheaper than your Gargolite, though.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:27 am, Randy wrote:

[...]

Sounds something like Jabroc
http://www.permalidehoplast.co.uk/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:56:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 13, 11:27*am, Randy wrote:
[...]

Stan,
That might be something, This is for a customer and I'm sure they
were using Home Depot plywood.

The material has to be a thermal insulator as this sheet goes between
the heater plate and another sheet of alum., and somewhere in there
is an airbag to provide the force and some alum I-beams and tie bolts
to clamp the whole thing together. The airbags need the wood sheet
to limit the amount of heat they see.

I'll need to research the thermal conductivity of wood VS particle
board VS Al honeycomb.

Wafer wood or particle board are pre compressed in their manufacture
so that might be better, or the die-board or some other premium
plywood might be better.

Where would one look to buy die-board?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

Where would one look to buy die-board?

It is used by companies who make cardboard boxes. There should be
someone in your area in that business who can point you to a local
supplier. They may even sell you some, since they usually buy it by the
pallet.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:34:35 -0500, Randy wrote:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:56:41 -0700 (PDT), stans4... wrote:
On Mar 13, 11:27Â*am, Randy wrote:
Looking to replace a peice of 3/4" plywood with some type of plastic.
Application is in a heated press used to join rubber sheets. Â*Problem
[...]

Have you already tried cement fiber board, like Durock, WonderBoard,
and HardieBacker, or ceramic boards Fibrefrax and Micore?
Re insulation value, http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm
lists Durock at .4 R-value per inch and the ceramics at 2.2.
Cement fiber board is low-cost (ca. $10 for a 3'x5'x.5" sheet) and
uncompressable until it breaks; the ceramics I'm not familiar with,
but think they might be 5x as much, and may compress easily.
-jiw