Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Invetion: "Oops Tape"

Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. Again, only an idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:56:24 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. Again, only an idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

This stuff has been around for ~20 years or more? I can't
remember when I first saw it, but it was sometime ago. For
some examples see:

http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=444

http://cableorganizer.com/adhesive-heat-shrink-tape/

I never forget things like slipping on heatshrink tubing
before soldering or PL-259 Knurl nuts or housing shells
before crimping on the pins... Ya, right ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 6:56 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. Again, only an idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

Ivan Vegvary

If you haven't made this mistake, then you have done bugger all in
actual electronics construction......sorry Ivan, but only God is
perfect and doesn't make mistakes.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:56:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. Again, only an idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

I love the stuff. It's called "insulation", Ivan. g

"Oops!" is when you solder the connection and then find that you
forgot to slide the connector or the shrink sleeve over the wire
beforehand.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 12, 3:56*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. *I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. *Again, only an idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

Ivan Vegvary

Only idiots need to waterproof 3 and 4-way joints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Only idiots need to waterproof 3 and 4-way joints.

Some just can't think beyond the mindset they are in, or the problem
they are looking at. I agree it is hard to fit heatshrink tubing onto 3
or more way joint.

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Jim Wilkins wrote in article
On Mar 12, 3:56*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Tape that you can wrap around an electrical connection, then heat shrink,
AFTER you soldered the joint.

I don't know what idiot would need this product. *I suppose it would be
useful if you forgot to slip on the heat shrink tubing prior to soldering
wires 1 and 3 of a four wire trailer lighting coupler. *Again, only an

idiot
would need this.

Quoting the great chess master Edward Lasker, "All the mistakes are out
there waiting to be made".

Ivan Vegvary

Only idiots need to waterproof 3 and 4-way joints.

----------

I'll remember that the next time I'm wiring up a trailer plug on the back
of a salt spreader that tows a liquid calcium trailer.

I always thought that white and blue stuff was corrosion caused by salty
water and liquid calcium getting at the copper wiring connection, but you
have certainly straightened me out.

Hell! I won't even tape them up. The air will be good for them!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 10:55 pm, "*" wrote:
[...]

agree - but...

You do offset splicing so you cannot get a between conductor short,
(and then you dont have to insulate every conductor, makes for a low
profile joint if you ever have to pull it back through an entry hole)
them you use either
1.Butyl Rubber with a layer of insulation tape over it, or
2.Use the RIGHT heatshrink made for the job, it has an integral inner
coating of "Gloop" (its similar to hot melt glue sorta thing) that
will waterproof it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

PS - still got me trade certificates as a cable jointer hanging on the
wall - and even so, still forget sometimes to put on the boot BEFORE I
solder the connector....thats why Method 1 above is still taught in
trade school....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 2:04 am, Lew Hartswick wrote:
wrote:
2.Use the RIGHT heatshrink made for the job, it has an integral inner
coating of "Gloop" (its similar to hot melt glue sorta thing) that
will waterproof it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

That is the neetest stuff. It came out while I was still in the
electronics business, must have been 25 or 30 years ago. Can
still almost see the ads, now why didn't I think of that. :-)
...lew...

Yep, real neat. Originally developed to provide a seal between hard
nylon jacket telephone cable, and the lead wipe that encased the
joint. Had a nice little feature on it - a blue dot pattern that
changed colour to white when it got to the right shrinking
temperature. (Which was done with a "soft flame" burner on a propane
torch.) Made by a yank company, RAYCHEM...more widely available now,
even the local electricians supply shop has it. Probably a Chinese
knock off. Bloody expensive though. But works real good, especially if
the joint is going to be under 20ft of water all its life...

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I had the same impression as you - the goo seems like the flexible PVC
hot melt glue. So a couple times when I've needed a piece of self
sealing heat shrink and didn't have any handy, I've made do with hot
melt glue. Get a piece of regular shrink tube in position and squirt a
charge of hot melt into the joint from both ends of the tubing then
quickly shrink with a heat gun. I wouldn't trust it for a splice to my
well pump 250ft underground, but it seems to work pretty well in less
critical apps.

--
Ned Simmons