DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Collet info and source for us folks with old stuff (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/237235-collet-info-source-us-folks-old-stuff.html)

spaco March 11th 08 04:17 PM

Collet info and source for us folks with old stuff

I wish there was a book entitled "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
About Collets".
Machinery's Handbook is good, as far as it goes, but it doesn't go
all that far.
You can glean a fair amount of info from the tool catalogs, but they
don't cover "everything" either.

I recently did a little research when an HSM'er got a US Machine Tool
vertical milling machine and I wanted to show him the collets that fit
the adapter he had. These machines had #9 B&S spindles.
The company sold collet adapters of the "Universal" type, (series OW, Y,
Z and ZZ) which don't show up in any catalog I had ever seen.

While poking around, I found this site, FYI:

http://gpcollets.com/Galaxy%20Produc...%20Catalog.pdf

Sure was helpful to me.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Ned Simmons March 11th 08 04:30 PM

Collet info and source for us folks with old stuff

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:17:04 -0500, spaco
wrote:

I wish there was a book entitled "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
About Collets".

I have an old print catalog from Hardinge titled "Total Workholding"
that's about as close as I've seen. I don't see it here, but it
appears the data in it is available in small chunks:
http://www.hardingeus.com/?pageId=141

--
Ned Simmons

Gunner[_2_] March 11th 08 05:01 PM

wrote:

I wish there was a book entitled "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
About Collets".
Machinery's Handbook is good, as far as it goes, but it doesn't go
all that far.
You can glean a fair amount of info from the tool catalogs, but they
don't cover "everything" either.

I recently did a little research when an HSM'er got a US Machine Tool
vertical milling machine and I wanted to show him the collets that fit
the adapter he had. These machines had #9 B&S spindles.
The company sold collet adapters of the "Universal" type, (series OW, Y,
Z and ZZ) which don't show up in any catalog I had ever seen.

While poking around, I found this site, FYI:

http://gpcollets.com/Galaxy%20Produc...%20Catalog.pdf

Sure was helpful to me.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Try this one....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardinge us.com%2Fusr%2F2353C.pdf&ei=sLrWR-SDIYj0pgSNr6zvDA&usg=AFQjCNFSDdQqum8gfkzNq2WzCsTU_ _5C-A&sig2=jqAml_hZ2mY_2UJoPl3lbw

Rob Morden March 12th 08 03:41 AM

Collet info and source for us folks with old stuff

I've got one of those - it came with my little Index mill. Fortunately
BS9 collets are still pretty common.

I found this page on the web.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/DT_Collet.html

I know when I got the collet adapter the seller pulled out a catalog
with a page like this to measure the collets with it to find out which
one it was and he said it was the only reason he actually had that
catalog.

I think mine is a Z - its written on the nail box I brought the
collets and collet adapter home in. I haven't actually had time to
set the mill up yet.

rem